Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote Shutter release problem for Canon 40D

• 11-03-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Having previously had a cheap shutter release for my old canon 1000d, i didn't have a second thought about getting another for my new(er) 40D.

I bought one of these (below) from fleebay for a few euro and but unfortunately I dropped it soon after it arrived and I then found out that it wouldn't let me do long shutter shots in bulb mode. I presumed this was down to me dropping / breaking it, although it works fine with faster shutter speeds (i.e. not bulb mode)

remote-shutter-release-switch.jpg

So I then bought one of these shutter releases with a timer as I thought it would come handy. But this one won't do bulb mode either. I set the camera to bulb, press and lock shutter but the slowest speed I can get is 1 second. (I have read the instructions!)

Timer-Switch-Cable-Shutter-Release-for-Canon-AP-TR1C-.jpg

This one works fine in normal mode too, just not bulb, although i never tried the interval options - those are added features that might come in handy in the future.

Im thinking now that both shutter releases are working and there might be something up with my camera / settings? To clarify, I can manually hold down the shutter button on the camera for as long as I want with no problems.

Any ideas? Is there a custom setting I need to enable/disable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Not much help but I actually use a Canon one on a 40D and have zero trouble with it. I don't believe I had to update any settings either for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Those cheap and cheerful shutter release units work fine on my Nikons D80 and D700 in bulb mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

This is the thing, i cant find anything to suggest why its not working.... In fact when i press the start/stop button the shutter opens and takes a 1 second pic and it then closes. But the screen on the back of the camera remains black (as if it was still exposing) until i press the stop. Only then does it give me a preview of my shot???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Could it be something in the camera settings?
    Like a max exposure time while on a remote?
    Sounds silly even to me but, you never know.

Maybe....its totally confused me too!
    But the cheap one only replicates the shutter button - which can be locked down. There are no fancy settings built into it (it doesn't even have a battery!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Just check that all the pins are ok on the connector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

So what happens when you press the grey button and push up to lock it?

trishw78 wrote: »
    So what happens when you press the grey button and push up to lock it?
    • Camera set up for a bulb exposure
    • Press and lock shutter button on remote
    • Shutter open and closes within (apporx) 1 sec
    • Screen on back of camera remains black. No other fuction of camera works. (It appears cammera thinks its still exposing)
    • Release shutter lock on remote and can see preview of pic taken. Camera becomes operational again

Connections all appear fine, but I need to check again when get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I bought something similar (for use on a 450d) and I found that it was a little tempremental in the connection. That I had to push it all the way home and then slide it back out a bit before it would work correctly. Which I put down to its cheapness. Which I can also live with as it cost about €20 and I def get value for money off it at that price, even if its got some character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Check mirror lockup is not enabled. That will mean you have to push the shutter button to lock the mirror and then u push again take the bulb exposure.

• Advertisement

swingking wrote: »
    Check mirror lockup is not enabled. That will mean you have to push the shutter button to lock the mirror and then u push again take the bulb exposure.

Thanks for that suggestion. I was playing about the the settings a few weeks ago and was enabling and disabling the mirror lock up alright. Im almost sure I've it disabled because the camera still lets me take a normal bulb exposure the normal way (i.e. press and hold once) via the shutter button on the body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I just tested my 40d with the cheapo shutter release and it works fine on bulb, I didn't have to change any settings. My shutter release is made by "Jueying" but it sounds like it might be the connection on your camera rather than the release if it's happening with both your releases.

Right, had another go at this and still no progress. Tried pushing connecter in a bit more and also tried pulling it out a bit....The fancier one is made by Yongnuo and it can do a self timer, internal timer and can also set to fire X no. of shots. These features all work perfectly:confused:

But in bulb mode the camera fires a single quick shot. It simply wont let me take a bulb shot with either remote....?????

Mirror lockup is not enabled

Advertisement