Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last years jungle - too early to spray?

Options
  • 11-03-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I had a contractor level and topsoil a 1 acre 'lawn' late '08, but didn't get around to doing anything else. Weeds took over, I cut these back last autumn and have a dead looking mix of everything there now.

I want to spray roundup all over to kill whats there. With the weather as its been so far this year, is it too early to spray yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

GubMan wrote: »
    I want to spray roundup all over to kill whats there. With the weather as its been so far this year, is it too early to spray yet?
    The weeds have to be growing for it to work, so yes, it is too early this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GubMan

thanks, any idea when? 2-3 weeks or sooner? When the rain starts as it surely must soon, I don't want to miss the boat.

also, I was told that just using seed and not rotivating the dead stuff would still get me sort of a lawn this year as the grass would outgrow the weeds, once you keep cutting both back. Any basis in truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

thanks, any idea when? 2-3 weeks or sooner? When the rain starts as it surely must soon, I don't want to miss the boat.
    Really when the weeds/ grass starts to grow! If you go too early you'll just miss some of the later starters.

Not sure on the second part of the question - I believe regular cutting will deal with some weeds - the lawn isn't really one of my priority areas - sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

get a goat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I had a contractor level and topsoil a 1 acre 'lawn' late '08, but didn't get around to doing anything else. Weeds took over, I cut these back last autumn and have a dead looking mix of everything there now.

Wiat till may..the temp should have gone up enough for the weeds to be in full flow.
    Blitz em then and wait a few weeks before sowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

If you spray now you could be doing it all over again in a month or two. Nothings growing yet so any seeds in the soil will just come up as the weather gets warmer thats the time to get everything.

Advertisement