Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lille v Liverpool

• 11-03-2010 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

6 pm KO Channel 5 from 5.30.

Preview from soccerlens

Liverpool head into the match after a disappointing loss at Wigan on Monday in the English Premier League. The Reds continue to struggle in the Premiership and could salvage their season with a deep run into the Europa League. They advanced to the round of 16 with a 4-1 win over Unirea Urziceni.

Lille are 6th in the French Ligue 1 table and enjoying another solid season. Despite being in 6th place, Lille has the highest goal difference (+22) with 50 goals scored and 28 goals conceded. Their defense will be tested on Thursday as Liverpool will have a fit Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres available.

Players who will be sidelined because of injury are Fabio Aurelio for Liverpool and Nicolas Plestan, Mathieu Debuchy, Tulio De Melo, and Gervinho for Lille.

A win for Lille in the first leg is important with the second leg at Anfield. Liverpool haven’t been strong on the road but still are capable of playing with any team in the world. If they can get strong performances from Gerrard and Torres then it could be a long night for Lille. This hasn’t happened often this season and Lille have not lost at home in the Europa League.

Lille is led by Gervinho who has five goals in the Europa League. The home side should be more aggressive as Liverpool will be content with a draw or even a 0-1 defeat.

Liverpool Squad (BBC) Reina, Johnson, Degen, Agger, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Insua, Gerrard, Lucas, Aquilani, Benayoun, Riera, Rodriguez, Ngog, Kuyt, Torres, Cavalieri, Pacheco, Spearing, Darby, Babel, Kelly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Six o'clock is a shít time for a game, but when Shels played Lille in the UEFA Cup a few years back, it was a 6 O'c at Landsdowne.

Silly French TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I believe the kick-off times are standard now throughout the whole europe league competition. Half the games always start at 6, and the other half at 8.05. Nothing to do with any specific channels or individual TV rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Good job i read this post and saw its on at 6 otherwise id have turned on tv3e at 7.45 just like i did for the away match in unirea :o

I just wanna see a good performance tonight and an away goal , anythings surely better than that pukefest on monday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Reina
    Johnson-Agger-Krygiakos-Insua
    Mach-Lucas
    Gerrard-Aquilani-Riera
    Torres

for me. Isn't Maxi cup-tied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DubDani wrote: »
    I believe the kick-off times are standard now throughout the whole europe league competition. Half the games always start at 6, and the other half at 8.05. Nothing to do with any specific channels or individual TV rights.

Is correct, ITV4 has its double barrelled EL coverage from 6 till 10.

Maxi is cup-tied, hoping to see Johnson start this one, we need his probing down the wing as it'll mean less chance of Kuyt screwing up an attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I think Gervinho is a doubt for tonight,if he is its a big loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

be happy wit a draw. don't give a **** about the line up, just want to see something from the team and to not pick up any injuries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Reina
    Johnson-Agger-Krygiakos-Insua
    Mach-Lucas
    Gerrard-Aquilani-Riera
    Torres

for me. Isn't Maxi cup-tied?

I think i'd choose Babel over Riera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly can't bring myself to care about this match at all. It's the first time I've felt like this about a Liverpool match since Sounness was in charge.

Honestly can't bring myself to care about this match at all.

Gerrard feels the same

• Advertisement

Gerrard feels the same
    Then he should **** off. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

1-0 dissapointing win by liverpool with boring football and pathetic managerial skills by our great savour that is rafa benitez:rolleyes:...CL spot is gone, ill be happy just to finish 5th!..bye bye torres honestly cant blame him if/WHEN he gets his arse out of liverpool:(

EDIT: i know ill get replys saying im not a true fan for losing all hope blah blah blah, whats the point in lying to ourselves?the club is in shambles, our major players are gone in the summer, we cant even afford to buy world class players...whats worse is this "squad" of players is all benitez, he signed nearly every player...its his failure!..yet you still love him?...he built a squad of players who arent good enough and who dont even care!..in january why on earth did he not buy a striker like WTF??...a injury prone spanish michael owen and a david ngog who isnt even good enough for my local mens team is enough to compete in englan/europe?!...dunno where that rant came from lol

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Then he should **** off. Simple as that.
    be happy wit a draw. don't give a **** about .

Somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

marko91 wrote: »
    1-0 dissapointing win by liverpool with boring football and pathetic managerial skills by our great savour that is rafa benitez:rolleyes:...CL spot is gone, ill be happy just to finish 5th!..bye bye torres honestly cant blame him if/WHEN he gets his arse out of liverpool:(

EDIT: i know ill get replys saying im not a true fan for losing all hope blah blah blah, whats the point in lying to ourselves?the club is in shambles, our major players are gone in the summer, we cant even afford to buy world class players...whats worse is this "squad" of players is all benitez, he signed nearly every player...its his failure!..yet you still love him?...he built a squad of players who arent good enough and who dont even care!..in january why on earth did he not buy a striker like WTF??...a injury prone spanish michael owen and a david ngog who isnt even good enough for my local mens team is enough to compete in englan/europe?!...dunno where that rant came from lol

Are you seriously calling Torres a Spanish Michael Owen?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Defo wanna see Aqualini in from the start tonight. Would like to see Babel start up front along side Torres too. Gotta try something different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Gerrard feels the same

....About the entire season so far the way he has played :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

This absolutely has to be used to give the likes of Babel, Aquilani etc game time.

The players who made a particular show of themselves the other night – Kuyt and Gerrard in particular, should be nowhere near this team.

I’d personally like to see:

Reina

Johnson----Kygriakos----Agger
    Insua

Mascherano
    Aquilani

---Babel
    Riera

Torres
    N’Gog

Kelly instead of Johnson if he’s not yet ready to start.

Will the Rafa have the guts to change a system that hasn’t worked all season?
    Will he have the guts to drop Gerrard, Kuyt and Carragher and Maxi, which is what they deserve?

Riera played crap against Unirea a few weeks ago, he was left out, and now it’s time to give him another chance, I feel.

New approach needed – 2 attacking full-backs, 2 wingers, 2 out and out strikers. Worth a try at least Rafa?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

This absolutely has to be used to give the likes of Babel, Aquilani etc game time.

The players who made a particular show of themselves the other night – Kuyt and Gerrard in particular, should be nowhere near this team.

Reina

Insua

Mascherano
    Aquilani

---Babel
    Riera

Torres
    N’Gog

I'd stick Babel up front instead of Ngog and horse Gerrard out on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Are you seriously calling Torres a Spanish Michael Owen?

im comparing them because they both do be injured for 50% of every season...torres is phenominal but hes no use watchign the game from the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Gervinho man to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm with whatawaster here.

regardless of whether we win, i'm serious, if he doesn't play Babel and Aqua, for me, it's another nail in the coffin.

if Gerrard swans around for another 90mins with no desire, and nothing is done about it, i pity you all for having to read my reaction afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Friend of mine from Lille says that the word in the media there is that Gervinho is out injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Reina

Insua

Mascherano
    Aquilani

---Babel
    Riera

Torres
    N’Gog

Drop N'Gog, put on Lucas instead and play Aquilani in a more advanced role, give Babel license to come central and you've a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Kuyt and Gerrard will start

putting 50 lids on pool not too win, just looking around for best odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1-0 dissapointing win by liverpool

Can you have a dissapointing 1-0 away win in Europe :confused: (with the obvious exception of drawign a team of part-timers from the arse end of nowhere in a country of 10,000 people)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

just backed lille 2-1 @ 9/1. i'll have one eye on the scoreline but wont be hunting for a stream like I normally would. betting on it makes it barely interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

evil_seed wrote: »
    just backed lille 2-1 @ 9/1. i'll have one eye on the scoreline but wont be hunting for a stream like I normally would. betting on it makes it barely interesting

Backing against Liverpool?

Des wrote: »
    Backing against Liverpool?

Sure why not, if they win your happy, if they lose you get a consolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

im comparing them because they both do be injured for 50% of every season...torres is phenominal but hes no use watchign the game from the stand.

Would take Torres over Owen from any era.

Torres did in his first season with Liverpool something that Owen has never done his entire career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

15/8 for a Lille win looks value.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would take Torres over Owen from any era.

Torres did in his first season with Liverpool something that Owen has never done his entire career.

2 things actually. He also got universal adoration from the Liverpool fans.

5starpool wrote: »
    2 things actually. He also got universal adoration from the Liverpool fans.

Hehe that is true. Owen was never really embraced by the terraces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Kess73 wrote: »
    Hehe that is true. Owen was never really embraced by the terraces.

Now that you mention it, did The Kop even have a song for Owen while he was scoring the goals?? I cant recall :confused:

Anyway, I'll go for a 1-1 today.

owen isn't fit to lace torres' boots. not now. not ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Team:

The team in full: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Carragher, Insua, Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt, Gerrard, Babel, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Aquilani, Riera, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, El Zhar, Kelly.

• Advertisement

great to see Johnson back.

Rockee wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, did The Kop even have a song for Owen while he was scoring the goals?? I cant recall :confused:

Anyway, I'll go for a 1-1 today.

He had a few generic type chants for him. But never received the adulation that the likes of Fowler got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Rockee wrote: »
    Team:

The team in full: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Carragher, Insua, Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt, Gerrard, Babel, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Aquilani, Riera, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, El Zhar, Kelly.

Rafas handling of Aquilani makes my brain ache. It really doesnt make any sense at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

No start for aqua again surprise surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Johner wrote: »
    15/8 for a Lille win looks value.

Not bad, hows Gervinho first goal scorer along with that?

• Advertisement

F*cking joke that Gerrard gets in the team ahead of Aquilani, and that Kuyt plays after his performance on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

F*cking joke that Gerrard gets in the team ahead of Aquilani, and that Kuyt plays after his performance on Monday.

Why not! If it ain't broke don't fix it..... er... oh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

great to see Johnson back.

Yeah plus Agger and Babel.

All ruined by keeping Gerrard and leaving Acquilani out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

well hopefully we'll see a reaction from Gerrard tonight.

well hopefully we'll see a reaction from Gerrard tonight.

Reaction to what though? He's been crap all season, there was nothing particularly special about Monday.

What was the point in spending 17 million on Aquilani if we're not going to use him in games like this/at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

gone for Babel to score anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

What was the point in spending 17 million on Aquilani if we're not going to use him in games like this/at all?
    Ask Rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh and hopefully Gerrard does the live and prosper sign if he scores :D

Tusky wrote: »
    Rafas handling of Aquilani makes my brain ache. It really doesnt make any sense at this stage.

It doesn't. He goes and states that Aquilani won't feature much in the league during the run in and mentions that there will be Europa Cup games for Aquilani. Then in the very next Europa cup game, Aquilani does not get a start.

I wonder how Aquilani feels about his big move now.

One thing that this season has shown us is that form counts for nothing with this current Liverpool squad, and that there are a number of players who will get games no matter how poor they do over a period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone going to get behind the team in here

• Advertisement
Advertisement