Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel HTC Hero on Meteor contract?

Options
  • 11-03-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi

I purchased a HTC Hero and switched from O2 to Meteor in the process 6 days ago. I thought I had read sufficient information about this for it to have been a good decision but I find now that I'm plagued with this "SIM No Service" problem.

I work in Park West, Dublin and I seem to suffer from this problem numerous times during the day and can only get it back within service by switching to Airplane mode as suggested in various threads.

I found that even trying to manually rejoin the Meteor network while this problem was active, gave me a message that my "SIM is not allowed to join that network"!

So it seems on further investigation that this is a very prominent problem here with this phone on this network and the issue is more likely to do with Meteors network since other people have no such problems on this phone on other networks.

Can anyone tell me if I can bring this phone back to the shop tomorrow and tell them to cancel the 12 month contract I've entered since the service is an utter train crash due to constant dropping coverage? Or am I just screwed and bound by a 12 month contract?

...really wishing I didn't switch to Meteor... :(

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DC5_ITR wrote: »
    Hi

I purchased a HTC Hero and switched from O2 to Meteor in the process 6 days ago. I thought I had read sufficient information about this for it to have been a good decision but I find now that I'm plagued with this "SIM No Service" problem.

I work in Park West, Dublin and I seem to suffer from this problem numerous times during the day and can only get it back within service by switching to Airplane mode as suggested in various threads.

I found that even trying to manually rejoin the Meteor network while this problem was active, gave me a message that my "SIM is not allowed to join that network"!

So it seems on further investigation that this is a very prominent problem here with this phone on this network and the issue is more likely to do with Meteors network since other people have no such problems on this phone on other networks.

Can anyone tell me if I can bring this phone back to the shop tomorrow and tell them to cancel the 12 month contract I've entered since the service is an utter train crash due to constant dropping coverage? Or am I just screwed and bound by a 12 month contract?

...really wishing I didn't switch to Meteor... :(

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    You could argue the phone is not fit for purpose, and as a result they are not upholding their end of the contract.

For what it is worth, I have the Hero too and suffered from this issue. Turning off the pin request has stopped it being an issue for me - haven't had the problem since I did this.

If you are worried about your phone being nicked without the pin lock on, download and install (for free from the market place) wavesecure - which enables you to lock down and wipe your phone remotely text message, amongst other things.

Also, Meteor are working on the issue (amongst serveral others - Twitter and Google sync over 3g/Edge) with the google issue having recently been fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DC5_ITR

I will give that a try Mitch, many thanks for your reply!

A possible workaround is to use 2G networks only. There's an app in the market called 2G on off / 3G on off or something like that. It is a known issue and a fix is supposedly coming. I reckon the upcoming Android 2.1 update should sort it out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I had the same issue (and 2 people I know had the same thing too).

Not a very "teckie" answer but this solution worked for all 3 of us.

The sim housing seems not to be the best ....... if you really force the sim in as hard as you can it will fix the problem!!

Seriously ........ this has worked for all 3 of us!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

I'm not so sure the 2.1 update will solve this problem, unless meteor are going to add something in to the new upgrade.

The 2g only solution does work, but that creates another problem for me in that the phone started to drop calls if there was any incoming or outcoming data (and there's always some incoming of outcoming data!).

Turning off the pin protection did seem to work, but only for a couple of days, so that could have just been a fluke.

I might have to try that forcing the sim in really hard option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

you could consider going back into the shop and tell them that you have to cancel because of these problems.
    This is in their conditions and you should be covered.
    Either way best to go back asap.
    9. Repairs and Refunds

Meteor policies referring to repairs and refunds are obtainable from http://www.meteor.ie/payg_protect_phone.html.

In the event that you are a consumer concluding a distance contract with us, within the meaning of the EC (Protection of Consumers in Respect of Contracts made by means of Distance Communication) Regulations 2001, you shall, on written notice to us and subject to returning all Equipment (to include any chargers or ancillary equipment supplied) to us, have the right to terminate the Services within seven Business Days of us accepting your Application Form, subject always to you not having used the Services. The Customer shall remain liable for any Charges incurred prior to such termination.
    source: http://www.meteor.ie/support/terms_and_cond/tandc_of_meteor_service/

Well I tried turning off the SIM Lock and it worked for about 3 hours until I got the problem again. :mad:

I'd be a little scared of butchering the SIM housing through forcing the card in, but I'll take a look under care. :eek:

Today would be days number 7 and I work and quite a large distance from the shop I bought it - basically not a hope I would get to them.

Thanks for the replies.

Phone them up on 1905 and tell them that you want to cancel to get the ball rolling and ask him how is the best way to get it back to them...

another thing do you still like the HTC Hero ? perhaps you could change handsets
    i just noticed they have the n97 mini for 50euro with their 55e/mo package.

ive been with meteor for years now and 3g signal isnt a problem (was working in parkwest for a year there too)

Yes samhail, I really like the Hero I must say. I put an O2 3G sim into it today and I haven't had the problem once so far today on O2's network. Is it possible that the SIM cards themselves might actually be very slightly different sizes giving some extra basis to Tarakiwa's solution I wonder!? Probably sounds ridiculous I don't know - they're probably a standard format size?

yeah ive never noticed that different operator SIM cards were different sizes.
    its a nice little phone alright... just didnt tickle my fancy as such when i was upgrading :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Hi,
    I had done the samem thing (changing from O2 to Meteor) to get HTC hero.
    Let me tell ya, the problem is no only in the parkwest but at various place, Leixlip, Navan, Dundalk, Ardee and many other place. I had since checked many options and concluded that the problem is not in the handset but actually in Meteor 3G network. I had crosschecked, replaced sim and etc and it is the network rather handset. the handset is one of the best in the world and giving iphone a serious run for money. But i still find it better using meteor (i am on 200 minutes plan 25/month+5 for internet= 29.99/month) and very happy with this.
    on the handset prospective, here are the problem i faced from HTC hero
    1) Battery life: like many other phone on 3g, battery life is still the issue. (same in iphone also), the batter life is hardly 1 day, if you travel or drive, you must have car charger, i wish the battery life could be extended to 48 hours or carry an extra battery. (http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/7973-htc-hero-extended-battery.html)

2) camera phone:- no flash. no good photos

conclusion:
    try putting attention on the network, rather handset, Handset is just fine and its 3g network. last but not the last, was in newry-belfats last week and was frustrated to know that meteor has no tie-p with anyone for raming, so no connection to the world , thats disgusting......

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

baz8080 wrote: »
    A possible workaround is to use 2G networks only. There's an app in the market called 2G on off / 3G on off or something like that. It is a known issue and a fix is supposedly coming. I reckon the upcoming Android 2.1 update should sort it out though.

Unfortunately not - I'm using Meteor and a Nexus One and am plagued by the same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can cancel a contract within 14 days for coverage issues. Faulty phones can be exchanged within 28 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 itsatoaster

Hi I was wondering does anybody know what the story is with calls going straight to voicemail when EDGE data transfer is in use? It seemed to be a big issue amongst hero users online but seems to have disappeared...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Hi I was wondering does anybody know what the story is with calls going straight to voicemail when EDGE data transfer is in use? It seemed to be a big issue amongst hero users online but seems to have disappeared...

I have not experienced it yet, maybe becuase i have not setup voice mail, My phone just keep ringing, that helps me better because earlier, almost all calls used to be on voice mail :-(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP get back onto meteor ASAP.
    you can cancel the bill pay contract and return the phone within 14 days, its actually wrote all over their shops!

dont think you even have to give an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've had my Hero nearly 3 months now and the issue has only started cropping up a few days ago. Funnily enough, it's only ever in my workplace (Dublin city centre) and coverage is almost off as much as on at this stage and I'm really at the end of my tether.

I've tried switching to 2G and at the moment am actually experimenting with leaving OFF the data altogether, despite having to pay for 1GB a month. :mad: Turning off the pin lock has had no effect.

It's highly irritating as my wife is 7 months pregnant and I have no desk phone. :mad:

It's a crying shame as I love the phone but I'm going into them at the weekend and if they won't break my contract or give me another handset, they can see me in court.

to the best of my knowledge they dont see you in court. their debt collection agency does.

best of luck getting your issue resolved.

It's a disaster in waiting for them. If people can't escape contracts or get alternative handsets for what are basically non-functioning phones, they won't ever touch Meteor again once the contracts expire. I know I won't, despite having being with them since the start.

i agree - but it is the same across the board, right ?

• Advertisement

samhail wrote: »
    i agree - but it is the same across the board, right ?

I was under the impression that the issue was only on the Meteor network. Apologies if this is not the case.

At the very least, the handsets shouldn't be still available for new contracts when the operator openly admits that there is no current solution to the issue.

Sorry for being so irascible. It's so frustrating, considering the large tariff I'm paying and how much I like the phone.

So after being led around like a fool "trying various things" - nothing worked and those thieving scum have taken over €200 from me in a "cancellation fee" for a service that never worked.

I was talking to someone in their call centre who more or less said tough sh1t sunshine for letting myself go a day over the 14 days trying various rubbish ideas from useless Meteor monkeys... :mad:

Is this some sinister tactic employed by them to try and claw back money from hapless punters? Do I have any options here? This seems so incredibly wrong to be charged a wad of cash for the cancellation of a service that never worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

DC5_ITR wrote: »
    So after being led around like a fool "trying various things" - nothing worked and those thieving scum have taken over €200 from me in a "cancellation fee" for a service that never worked.

I was talking to someone in their call centre who more or less said tough sh1t sunshine for letting myself go a day over the 14 days trying various rubbish ideas from useless Meteor monkeys... :mad:

Is this some sinister tactic employed by them to try and claw back money from hapless punters? Do I have any options here? This seems so incredibly wrong to be charged a wad of cash for the cancellation of a service that never worked.
    That's not on. You bought a handset that, due to no fault of your own, does not function correctly. I'd get straight back onto them, request to speak to a supervisor and begin seeking immediate refund of the €200, assuming you have already paid them. If they refuse, it's small claims court time, it will only cost you €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cancel the Direct Debit asap if they have not yet taken the money.

Also Meteor or their toothless debt collectors will not take you to court. They are very cowardly in that regard.

Advertisement