Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adserver.adtech.de

Options
  • 11-03-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Are there new ads that were implemented recently ?

every now and again the load time on the page goes to a few seconds trying to contact adserver.adtech.de (german site?)

or is that the next level of suggest subscription for users.

or is it just me
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Our ads have been served by adtech for quite some time now. Is there anything in particular which is going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

just that for me it takes up to 6s sometimes waiting on a page from adtech.
    its obviously on their side

Ah, after having a look, I can see that you're definitely having abnormally slow issues with adtech. I'll see if I can poke some people to get to the bottom of it. Odds are it's either adtech or your ISP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

ill keep an eye at it at home... shouldnt really be on here in work.
    said would let ye guys know just incase it was was affecting a few people.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks, its really helpful for us when people report anomalous stuff because the big stuff we see immediately but there are sometimes trends on say, an OS + Browser that are affected but we might not see.

Let us know how you get on, as Conor has said, we can look at the entire rendering time for your account alone and get breakdowns etc.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would it be possible to put the script at the bottom of the pages, so the rest of the page is rendered first? I've noticed a few delays as well - next time I'll make a note of the details.

eoin wrote: »
    Would it be possible to put the script at the bottom of the pages, so the rest of the page is rendered first? I've noticed a few delays as well - next time I'll make a note of the details.

It's not doable right now, the way the ads are inserted is a little hairy. We are working on speeding them up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

This happened to me last year sometime ,the problem was my end.
    Either opendns or virus software issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Happened to me quite a lot - I think I had to disable the web scanning part of AVG 8 - banging F5 for a refresh a couple of times normally worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Does anyone else find it objectionable that physic / tarot reading scam adverts are appearing?

I understand that Boards needs money to operate, but hosting ads for people that are in the business of scamming people is perhaps a bit too far...

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We've been down that road before and it leads no where. You (and indeed I) may think that tarot card readers are scams but I also believe that people are entitled to spend their money as they see fit.

The problem lies in where you draw lines about ads we dont want to see. Everyone has their bugbears and we've found it becomes an "allow all, or none" scenario.

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DeVore wrote: »
    as Conor has said, we can look at the entire rendering time for your account alone and get breakdowns etc.

Never knew that. That's pretty handy.
    Conor wrote: »
    It's not doable right now, the way the ads are inserted is a little hairy. We are working on speeding them up though.

You might have already looked at this but I'll suggest it anyways. Wouldn't loading the ads in an iframe stop them from affecting the loading of the rest of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

DeVore wrote: »
    We've been down that road before and it leads no where. You (and indeed I) may think that tarot card readers are scams but I also believe that people are entitled to spend their money as they see fit.

The problem lies in where you draw lines about ads we dont want to see. Everyone has their bugbears and we've found it becomes an "allow all, or none" scenario.

DeV.

Are ads scanned at all though? To be quite honest it really gets under my skin that google ads selling backup games pop up on the console modding forum and at the same time I'm ment to ban a user for even mentioning them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've had the same issues but adblock has speeded things up a bit now, or seems to have anyway.

Advertisement