Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery problem

• 11-03-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Bought a new battery for my Sony Vaio VGN-NR21Z

Battery on receipt had a 40% charge in it.

Tried to charge the battery and message shows- "Battery plugged in, not charging"

MY AC power cord's voltage is 19.5V

Battery voltage is 11.1V

Battery indicator blinks rapidly when new battery is installed

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Where did you get the battery?

The usual rule of thumb is: Voltage must be the same. Current can be higher on the AC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Got the battery off of eBay. So basically you're saying that the voltage of the battery has to match the adaptor and that may be the reason the battery won't charge?

Edit:

The voltage on the original battery is the same as the new battery and that charges without any problems. The Amps on the new battery is higher though. Would that be a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

is the amps on the battery greater than the charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

I think it's more to do with the non Sony branded battery. The Sony laptops can be picky about what batterys go into it. I'd return it and pick up a battery in a Sony centre. Some have non branded ones that they know work. I used to work in a Sony centre and know we had issues with some manufactures supposed to work but didn't. Hanel was one brand that didn't. They may have changed that now tho

Battery is 5.2 Amps

Adapator is 4.7 Amps

MacGyver (I can't believe I'm talking to MacGyver!!!!) will the Sony Centre definitely have a replacement battery, or will they have to order one in or something

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

11.x volts is the voltage of 3 cells in series

19v is the voltage of the power supply, nothing to do with the battery voltage as teh laptop steps down the voltage.

Battery is 5 Ah it's not 5 amps - ie it can supply 2.5 amps for 2 hours or 1 amp for 5 hours etc.

Try your original battery in the laptop, if it charges then try to get your money back of the ebay seller, if it don't charge then try the battery in a similar laptop in case it's a problem with your laptop.

Original battery works (charges fine) but it loses it's charge very quickly (20 minutes). The new one works, but it won't charge at all. The magical BIOS I was given with it don't make any difference either. So Capt'n Midnight, you suggest that the battery doesn't work full stop or at the very least is defective.
    I may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

it will depend on the sony centre tbh, we used to sell the batteries from laptops that were in stock if we didnt have the battery on its own as it only took a couple of days to get in. i think its because sony use some chips in their batteries to identify themselves and the non branded ones dont have it. they do it with the cameras too and its a giant pain in the arse.

So basically, I should call ahead and see if they can get one in for me.
    How much of my soul will Sony want for a replacement battery?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Liamario wrote: »
    So basically, I should call ahead and see if they can get one in for me.
    How much of my soul will Sony want for a replacement battery?
    I can remember when they charged 4 or 5 times as much as dell for laptop power adaptors

in short I've no idea

ALL lithium laptop batteries at this stage have chips that identify them AND more importantly control the charging process , not just sony

• Advertisement
Advertisement