Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cad is ainm dom?

• 11-03-2010 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Perhaps someone might be able to help me with the translation of my name back into Irish. My surname is Kenny and I would like to use the Irish version from now on but cant find a definitive translation for it. I've been told "O Cionaodha" (sound like Kennedy to me) but some websites also say Kenny derives from "Kenneth", an Anglicized form of both "COINNEACH" and "CINÁED". In school I was told it was "Coinneach" by my Irish teacher (she's from Galway where the name is said to come from) Any help would be great.

Go raibh maith agat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Coinneach, Cainneach are christian names,
    so a surname you would have to these in the genitive case

Ó Coinnigh/ Ó Cainnigh ( Ooh Kin-nee/ Ooh Kon-nee

if you are a single woman
    Ní Choinnigh/ Ní Chainnigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 only_sideways

I'm male so it would be "Ó Coinnigh/ Ó Cainnigh".

How would I know which of the above is the right one for me or are they both the same and just down to preferance?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

According to 'Irish Names And Surnames' by Pádraig de Bhulbh, Kilmallock 1903...

1. Ó Cionaoith.
    2. Ó Cionaodha.
    3. Mac Cionaoith.
    4. Ó Coinne. (Co.an Dúin).
    5. Ó Coinnigh. (Leath Chuinn).
    6. Mac Giolla Choinnigh. (Some parts of Ireland).

He explains 'Leath Chuinn' as the northern HALF of the country.
    (btw 'Leath Mhogha' is for the southern half).

More modern books have nos. 1 and 3 above only.
    Note that in no. 2, which you mentioned, the "d" would be mute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

According to 'Irish Names And Surnames' by Pádraig de Bhulbh, Kilmallock 1903...

1. Ó Cionaoith.

Both The Surnames of Ireland by Edward MacLysaght (which is the most authoritive book out there) and An Sloinnteoir Gaeilge agus an tAinmneoir give it as Ó Cionaoith as well. That would be Ní Chionaoith for an unmarried female of that name.

I guess the different variations depend on dialect and what part of the country you’re from, changing slightly as the years have passed. As we are originally from Donegal so I’m thinking Ó Cionaoith or Ó Coinnigh would be correct. What would be the correct way to pronounce Ó Cionaoith?

buíochas leat arís mo chairde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Ó key-un-ee

míle maith agat arís,

Ó Cionaoith is ainm dom :D

Advertisement