Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of a lens in Dublin

• 11-03-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

How can a camera shop in Dublin quote €560 for a lens and tell me they've no "margin" on it when I ask for a discount?:(
    Same lens online can be got for around €400-450.
    I'd rather spend my hard earned here but........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Online cheaper than bricks and mortar shop? I'm stunned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

bricks & mortar offen have additional costs built into their pricing eg electricity, profit, paying staff etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

now now, hang on, what's going on here? do you mean we've been ripped off all these years? Unbelievable. I'm ringing Joe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Andrew33 wrote: »
    from a european or non-european distributor?
    what does the price look like when you add customs & excise duties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I blame the up-ward only rent reviews. A crime in themselves. And bloody short-sighted. Sorry drifted off-topic there.

To the OP, if you buy online and it's faulty or becomes faulty, how will you deal with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It is simply just that isn't it? You're paying for extra security, and it's just down the road if all goes pear-shaped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

How can a camera shop in Dublin quote €560 for a lens and tell me they've no "margin" on it when I ask for a discount?:(
    I'd rather spend my hard earned here but........

Have to agree with that, but before I get flamed, I'm not complaining about the higher price, it's not being able to get some sort of discount that bugs me.

I buy nearly all my items in "real" shops, and in general, I'll always try to get a discount. Between 5 to 10 percent is usually possible on anything over €100. Of all the shops that will give, even a small, discount - photography items are nearly impossible!

In the OPs example, you know there's room for a bit of a discount, but it's never given. I find the stores in the UK are a bit easier to deal with, and regularly get a discount from both Jessops and Calumet.

The last thing I bought in Jessops, I got £20 (6.1%) off an SB900, not a lot but it's something.
    I bought my D300 in Calumet and I got a free bag, a camera cleaning kit and managed to get a price match from another UK firm, saving £67 pounds off the price.

The last photography item I've purchased was from a "brick & mortar" shop in Germany, which was still cheaper, including postage, by 27%.

So while I agree that it's completely unfair to compare "real" stores to "online" stores, I do think some "real" stores, in Ireland, could offer some sort of discount, when asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Hugh_C wrote: »
    To the OP, if you buy online and it's faulty or becomes faulty, how will you deal with that?

You send it back through the post? Im not trying to be funny but as long as OP buys it from a reputable dealer he should be fine.

Ive done this plenty of times with various camera/computer gear

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

If money was no issue to me, I'd always buy in person, over the counter and never online. It's just more satisfying, and you feel safer in the knowledge if there's the slightest thing up with it you can bring it back in person with receipt and not have to post it away, wait weeks [maybe] and possibly have to speak to someone on the phone in another country explaining what you meant in the accompanying letter.

Love the avatar btw, dazftw, solid album :cool:

• Advertisement

Love the avatar btw, dazftw, solid album :cool:

haha your the 1st person to say that and im 5 years on here now.. wait a second.. 5 years jaysus :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

duffarama wrote: »
    Online cheaper than bricks and mortar shop? I'm stunned.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

I'm pointing out that the shop person tried to tell me they were not making a penny on a €560 lens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

from a european or non-european distributor?
    what does the price look like when you add customs & excise duties?

From the UK or mainland Europe, wouldn't be bothered ordering a lens from HK or USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Nah, that's completely wrong.

dazftw wrote: »
    haha your the 1st person to say that and im 5 years on here now.. wait a second.. 5 years jaysus :rolleyes:

Have both their albums, and the new Spinerette one from Brody :cool:

Always been a rocker me :D

Have both their albums, and the new Spinerette one from Brody :cool:

Always been a rocker me :D

Listened to that album in work today :p were going slightly off topic now I think.. sorry OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm pointing out that the shop person tried to tell me they were not making a penny on a €560 lens!

That might very well be almost true OP.

Part of my job involves purchasing. The other day I was asked to price some 4 bay NAS drives. I looked up an Irish supplier and saw they were quoting about €380 for a D-Link unit. I priced the same thing with a supplier based on the continent and they were a whopping €120 cheaper at €260.

I've consistently found Irish suppliers dearer than their continental counterparts.

From time to time in my job I bring in some product which we have to have but make no money on such as GPU/CPU etc. You hope to make something on any additonal items they might purchase.

Advertisement