Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question reagrding how vazumo.com works

Options
  • 11-03-2010 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Does anyone know how www.vazumo.com works? they have lots of businesses up on the site but it doesnt look like the business subscribed to them. i.e. it looks like they have just taken a very large buiness database and put it up online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

they sell ads! plenty of them - see link at the bottom of their page 'advertise with us'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 PaddyKay

I realise they sell profile pages but I think they created a directory listing for thousands of businesses in Ireland first and then these business have to pay to put a logo, contact us page etc. Look at this for an example

http://www.vazumo.com/companydetails/67956/Sandford-Service-Garage

At the end of the page it says
    "If this is your company and you would like your logo here and free calls to your business from your customers - contact us and we'll take care of the rest. "

Therefore it looks like they put up these business listing for free and then they want businesses to pay to upgrade their listing to something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I get what you mean, Paddy. They data mine various sources to build a database of businesses with which they populate their site. The data they use could be from various free sources, like registers, phone directories or web crawling or they could have bought databases of business from agencies that deal in data like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 PaddyKay

Ye I thought so, dont suppose anyone knows the legalities regarding this. Its an interesting marketing ploy. Where is the line drawn? if they collected the email addresses of all these businesses could they put up a "Contact us" page for every company on their websiote without the business authorisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

PaddyKay wrote: »
    Ye I thought so, dont suppose anyone knows the legalities regarding this. Its an interesting marketing ploy. Where is the line drawn? if they collected the email addresses of all these businesses could they put up a "Contact us" page for every company on their websiote without the business authorisation?

Yeah, certainly if they were overseas and outside the EU. They could do pretty much anything they wanted. If they're based in EU, they'd probably have to have "Contact this company" or something.

In other news, their website is down at the minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement