Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase TV with DTT or FreeSat in mind?

Options
  • 11-03-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

About to make a new purchase and have narrowed it down to a 42" Panasonic Plasma. The plan is to sign up to Sky for a year to make use of the HD channels they offer. Hopefully then there will be more channels to view in HD on FreeSat, so I can ditch Sky then and keep the dish. However I watch a lot of content on RTE so will need to access it on DTT then. My question is should I purchase a UK FreeSat TV model and a DTT STB in a years time or the Irish TV model and a UK FreeSat STB in a years time?

Also has anyone any clue if Setanta Ireland will be available on DTT or FreeSat in the near future???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Laker04 wrote: »
    Also has anyone any clue if Setanta Ireland will be available on DTT or FreeSat in the near future???

No and no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

About to make a new purchase and have narrowed it down to a 42" Panasonic Plasma. The plan is to sign up to Sky for a year to make use of the HD channels they offer. Hopefully then there will be more channels to view in HD on FreeSat, so I can ditch Sky then and keep the dish. However I watch a lot of content on RTE so will need to access it on DTT then. My question is should I purchase a UK FreeSat TV model and a DTT STB in a years time or the Irish TV model and a UK FreeSat STB in a years time?

The new panasonic freesat range coming out in april should be able to pick up Irish DTT and freesat. (some of New range has freesat and Freeview hd receivers)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My question is should I purchase a UK FreeSat TV model and a DTT STB in a years time or the Irish TV model and a UK FreeSat STB in a years time?

Why not go for a freesat/DTT TV now, LG xxLF7700 or one of the new Sony freesat TVs?

If OneVision agree terms with the BAI and RTÉ, Setanta Ireland will be there. They have a 10% shareholding in the OneVision consortium.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laker04

Thanks lads. Panasonic plasma is the one for me, need to settle on a model that meets most of my spec (within budget of course).

Givecredit, I presume when you say the freesat range, you're referring to the UK models? Thing is I'm lead to believe the DTT on these models will need to be tweaked every time RTENL tweaks their settings, wheras an Irish DTT model will download these new settings automatically. Also the EPG can be affected I believe... I suppose I could go with the UK model and if the DTT is giving grief in a years time just fork out for an Irish DTT STB...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

The Panasonic Plasma is certainly excellent and does well in TV reviews. You will need to go for a 'Freesat' model to be able to receive satellite without a set top box. In general they are only available in the UK although I see that Power City are advertising TVs with "Satellite Tuners" (not Panasonic models though).

I have a Panasonic LCD which can receive the Irish DTT and Freesat without any STB. It had the well documented issues with Codec setting that RTENL were using but I understand that the current model Panasonic TVs don't have that issue.
    That said my TV is tuned in and receiving Irish DTT perfectly for the past 12 months.

Freesat is very good with many channels but only 2 HD channels (BBC HD and occasionally ITV). You could go straight for Freesat by installing a dish yourself or get it installed professionally and save the cost of the year's subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

The Panasonic Plasma is certainly excellent and does well in TV reviews. You will need to go for a 'Freesat' model to be able to receive satellite without a set top box. In general they are only available in the UK although I see that Power City are advertising TVs with "Satellite Tuners" (not Panasonic models though).

I have a Panasonic LCD which can receive the Irish DTT and Freesat without any STB. It had the well documented issues with Codec setting that RTENL were using but I understand that the current model Panasonic TVs don't have that issue.
    That said my TV is tuned in and receiving Irish DTT perfectly for the past 12 months.

Freesat is very good with many channels but only 2 HD channels (BBC HD and occasionally ITV). You could go straight for Freesat by installing a dish yourself or get it installed professionally and save the cost of the year's subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Givecredit, I presume when you say the freesat range, you're referring to the UK models? Thing is I'm lead to believe the DTT on these models will need to be tweaked every time RTENL tweaks their settings, wheras an Irish DTT model will download these new settings automatically. Also the EPG can be affected I believe... I suppose I could go with the UK model and if the DTT is giving grief in a years time just fork out for an Irish DTT STB...

I am suggesting the NEW panasonic freesat range. Ie the G20 model. Have a look here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-txp42g20-txp42g20b-20100308169.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Thing is I'm lead to believe the DTT on these models will need to be tweaked every time RTENL tweaks their settings, wheras an Irish DTT model will download these new settings automatically. Also the EPG can be affected I believe...

Where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laker04

BostonB wrote: »
    Where did you get that from?

Initial research a year ago. Ended up getting the magnificent G20B and it does in fact automatically detect any changes to the stations, i.e. when a new station is transmitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

People should boycott Panasonic until they fix their broken firmware. Plenty of other just as good or better sets at same or cheaper price if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 esquilax

watty wrote: »
    People should boycott Panasonic until they fix their broken firmware. Plenty of other just as good or better sets at same or cheaper price if you shop around.

I almost bought one of the affected models (but thankfully the price of shipping it from the UK was a bit more than I expected and decided to leave it) and I am very unimpressed with their handling of the situation. However, I've encountered the same kind of apathy with many vendors when it comes to the Republic of Ireland and I'm not convinced any other manufacturer would do better unless they were legally compelled to.

Last I checked, Seamus Watters is doing the 42" plasma G20B for £750 delivered which is €890 or so and I'm not aware of anywhere cheaper you can buy this telly (taking delivery into account) from the republic.

I'm sceptical of the notion that there are plenty of other equally good televisions (with built-in freesat) for the same money or cheaper, assuming you believe the plasma "look" and contrast ratio is worth a premium over LCD, and evidently someone does or they wouldn't still be producing them.

An Irish model Panasonic 42" plasma without freesat tuner is available from powercity, who seem fairly competitive, for €769. A freesat HD box off ebay will set you back €150 or so. Other 42" plasmas are available on the powercity site but the ones that are significantly cheaper are mostly 720p rather than 1080p

Meanwhile I can find plenty of adequate-looking 42" 1080p LCDs for around the €500 mark but of course none with freesat tuners built in.

By my calculations, you're paying a premium of about €200 for Plasma over LCD and integrated freesat HD over separate. That Panasonic G20B does have a few other features not found on just any TV (extensive colour balance controls and THX certification spring to mind) that some people might consider very valuable.

It doesn't scream "bargain" but I can see how many people are satisfied with it nonetheless. And I do consider built in tuners, unlike built-in optical drives, to be a good thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

There are 3 Freesat HD/DTT ranges that will work in Ireland.

The Sony V5810 W5810 Z5800 (V5810 is available in Powercity)

The LG Lf7700 (discontinued)

and the forthcoming Samsumg Freesat HD/Freeview HD Combo's sue out in March/April.

I will not recommend anything Panasonic for Irish DTT until they sort out the existing ranges.

The Freesat HD Combo TV ranges have been discussed in more detail here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056161121

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Don't buy Panasonic period, till they fix this. They can easily sort out their mess and know about it. It's a despicable management non-decision to do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

esquilax wrote: »
    An Irish model Panasonic 42" plasma without freesat tuner is available from powercity, who seem fairly competitive, for €769. A freesat HD box off ebay will set you back €150 or so. Other 42" plasmas are available on the powercity site but the ones that are significantly cheaper are mostly 720p rather than 1080p

The "Irish model" Panasonics do not have MHEG5 engine, a basic requirement. They are no more Irish than Tony Cascarino.

STB wrote: »
    and the forthcoming Samsumg Freesat HD/Freeview HD Combo's sue out in March/April.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm best off waiting another few months (as is ever the case...)

That Sony is very expensive for a 32" LCD IMO, even with freesat.

STB wrote: »
    The "Irish model" Panasonics do not have MHEG5 engine, a basic requirement. They are no more Irish than Tony Cascarino.

Sorry, I didn't notice that. I didn't study the spec too closely because I had no intention of buying it. "Non-UK-only model" would have been a safer description :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Best bet is to wait a few months for the Samsung. The Sony/LG models are getting long in the tooth now and hard to find.

Advertisement