Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for nice Jap car, €10K max

• 11-03-2010 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As the title says I'm looking for a nice car, preferably Japanese.

I'm currently driving a '99 Almera with 162K miles on the clock so would like a short list of replacements in case it gives out suddenly.

My current possible list:

Honda Accord (Current front runner. Going towards the Executive model)
    Mazda RX-8 (Pretty much discounted this as it's pretty thirsty)
    Mazda MX-5 (I really like it but people use the whole 'it's a girlie car')
    Lexus IS220D (One of the guys in work recommended this, don't know an awful lot about them)

So any opinions on the current list or any additions I should make?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Celica 190

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Accord petrol if you don't cover huge miles. Diesel otherwise but you could get a lot of very well engineered metal for the money with a petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They're four very different cars - drive them all and you'll know which is for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

I have to ask why do you feel you have to go jap?, you are limiting youreself and are missing out on a lot of good cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Maybe even go with a Subaru Impreza, check out www.isdc.ie
    you'd pick up a well mined motor there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would you get the Lexus for 10K? I'd have thought you'd be looking at the older model which I don't think had a diesel option.

As Anan1 says, they're very different cars - what are your requirements, and what sort of mileage do you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The IS220D is rubbish anyway, so you might as well strike that one of your list.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

TM RACING wrote: »
    I have to ask why do you feel you have to go jap?, you are limiting youreself and are missing out on a lot of good cars.

It's just a preference really, if there are any other good options I'm up for looking into it.

eoin wrote: »
    Would you get the Lexus for 10K? I'd have thought you'd be looking at the older model which I don't think had a diesel option.

As Anan1 says, they're very different cars - what are your requirements, and what sort of mileage do you do?

I guess I'm looking for a decent reliable car that isn't a 'standard' saloon like the Corolla, Focus etc. (no offence to them).

So I was thinking of looking at sporty (RX-8 etc.) and larger, more luxury saloons (Accord etc.)

I only do about 8-9K miles a year.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure the Accord is really that different (or a luxury saloon) - but it is a nice car all the same. If tax and fuel aren't a concern, then maybe a Lexus GS300? More a comfy cruiser than a sporty car IMO (though I didn't test drive the sport model).

The RX-8 is cool, and is quite practical for a sports car. It probably gets over 15mpg or so less than a petrol Accord, so you'd need to do the sums.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

+1
    +1

2?

Do I win:D;):p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The RX-8 is a fantastic car. It's fast, lots of fun to drive, very well spec'd and a lovely place to spend some time. The fuel consumption isn't great, but 20-24mpg is very achievable and if you don't do much mileage it's not too bad. The rotary engine has it's peculiarities and needs a tiny bit of extra tlc, but you forget all about that when you rev it up until it beeps at 9k+ :)

I'm not sure the Accord is really that different (or a luxury saloon) - but it is a nice car all the same. If tax and fuel aren't a concern, then maybe a Lexus GS300? More a comfy cruiser than a sporty car IMO (though I didn't test drive the sport model).

The RX-8 is cool, and is quite practical for a sports car. It probably gets over 15mpg or so less than a petrol Accord, so you'd need to do the sums.

I get what you're saying about the Accord.

The fuel would be a relative concern, I don't want a guzzler. Manufacturer figures (yeah I know, but just for comparison purposes) from [url]www.parkers.co.uk:[/url]

1.4L (96-00) Almera - 40mpg
    2.0L (03-08) Accord - 38mpg
    2.2L (03-08) Diesel Accord - 51mpg
    192bhp RX-8 - 26mpg

I'm a bit sceptical though that the petrol Accord almost does the same mpg as the Almera. The mpg of the RX-8 is a bit rough.

Even if it's exaggerated, it should be close enough to give you a ball park figure. How about an Audi TT? The back seats might be tiny, but even having the option to squeeze someone in if needs be would sway me over the MX-5.

Even if it's exaggerated, it should be close enough to give you a ball park figure. How about an Audi TT? The back seats might be tiny, but even having the option to squeeze someone in if needs be would sway me over the MX-5.

Good idea, totally forgot about the TT.

EDIT: Just checked Carzone. The TT is quite pricy, I'd probably be only able to get a '02 for my budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

I've an IS220D and I love it, To me its a reasonable mix of economy , handling (which surprised me in a lexus) and overtaking power.

I drove almost every car in that class of small saloon and the only one I thought had better handling was the 3 series.

If you considering an Mx5 also look at an S2000 which is similar with a bit more kick. Lovely handling and lovely engine.

DoMyBooks wrote: »
    If you considering an Mx5 also look at an S2000 which is similar with a bit more kick. Lovely handling and lovely engine.

Lovely cars alright, where I was living before one of the neighbours had one. He used to pass me out in it every day on my walk to work.

Expensive though, My budget would only allow me to get a '00 really.

Is the reg really that important to you?

• Advertisement

Is the reg really that important to you?

I guess really not, but it is a little off putting that you could get "only" a '00 or '01 for ten grand.

Maybe that's the wrong way to look at things though.

Lovely cars alright, where I was living before one of the neighbours had one. He used to pass me out in it every day on my walk to work.

Expensive though, My budget would only allow me to get a '00 really.

I've a 00 one, Someone offered me €9k for it recently so they have gone down in price a bit. Its a very exciting car to drive, I find its gives a ver high sensation of speed you feel like your tearing along at 80kph which suits me. The only downside is its not great for long drives, Although Im getting soft so it mightn't bother you.

The other thing to consider is you may not have the opportunity to own an Mx5 or an S2000 at other stages in your life so I would say go with something like that when you can. You have the rest of your life to drive a diesel saloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I severly doubt you will get 26mpg in a RX8, I couldnt get anywhere near it when I had a lend of one even when I was trying.

On a long drive you'd probably hit 222-6mpg at some stage on the Rx8 :D

For short runs or if your stuck in traffic then you'd be looking under 15mpg.

Still though, most Rx8 drives say its worth it.

But if you dont mind going down the years, the more powerful, rarer twin turbo rx7 will give you better mpg :D

Personally I only really consider the year of the car if there was some difference in the car (e.g. a facelift / updated engine etc). But I suppose your money will get you a far newer Accord from 2006, so I can see your point of view.

Personally I only really consider the year of the car if there was some difference in the car (e.g. a facelift / updated engine etc). But I suppose your money will get you a far newer Accord from 2006, so I can see your point of view.

Although if I take my stance to an extreme, I could scrap the Almera and get a 2010 tiny Asian car like a Kia and still have change out of €10K.

Don't really want that though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

have u considered an altezza u cud get a 03/04 high spec model for around that price i have one and there very comfortable nice cars,just another option

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Altezza/BEAMS/200946195837367/advert?channel=CARS

i know its a bit higher then ur budget but just an example

Thats a rotten looking Altezza and €11k is a rip off for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lpryanm

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I severly doubt you will get 26mpg in a RX8, I couldnt get anywhere near it when I had a lend of one even when I was trying.

RX8 consumption can vary wildly depending on condition, I recently got a service and swapped out the plugs and coils and my mileage has jumped hugely, I haven't measured accurately but it has been very noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I wouldnt be looking any further than a 318ci or 320ci diesel, or perhaps an audi tt if I was in your shoes.

Of the cars you have mentioned they either need lots of TLC (rx-8 under 20mpg, questionable reliability unless babysitted) or are really boring (Lexus is220d is a 40 year olds car).

Of the cars ive mentioned above they have decent enough poke, look great, are reliable, re-sellable to the mass market and most importantly will never be driven at the limit by you to notice their handling/performance flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be looking any further than a 318ci or 320ci diesel, or perhaps an audi tt if I was in your shoes.

Of the cars you have mentioned they either need lots of TLC (rx-8 under 20mpg, questionable reliability unless babysitted) or are really boring (Lexus is220d is a 40 year olds car).

Of the cars ive mentioned above they have decent enough poke, look great, are reliable, re-sellable to the mass market and most importantly will never be driven at the limit by you to notice their handling/performance flaws.
    318Ci is miserable. 320Ci is petrol, the 320Cd is the diesel and wasn't available till 2004. Mid-2000 onwards the 320Ci is a 2.2 6cyl and not a bad choice, forget the 318 misery box though, wouldn't pull ya out of bed.
    325Ci much better again.
    RX8 isn't questionable in the reliability department, it's fine.
    IS220d only came out in around 2006, and you'd be doing well to find one for less than 18k, so don't know why people are mentioning that. The IS200 old shape was a 29mpg thirsty 2 litre V6 that only puts out 156bhp for all it's consumption. I wouldn't bother. Altezza has the Yamaha 4cyl 200-odd bhp engine that would be a better bet.

rx-8 under 20mpg, questionable reliability unless babysitted
    The 'babysitting' required is checking the oil every second fill-up and not shutting down the engine when it's still cold (it runs rich on start up and may flood). It's not really a huge effort, and tbh it's something that people should be doing with any car.

I would personally aviod a 4cyl BMW petrol (318ci). Anyone I've driven was grossly underpowered and a nothing engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

What about an Integra type-r or as discussed a celica 190. Both cars have handle very well and have good revvy engines. Image might be a problem if you care about that sort of thing.

Another one is the s15 silvia, great handling RWD car and a nice turbo engine. All these cars will do 30mpg if you behave.

• Advertisement

DoMyBooks wrote: »
    I would personally aviod a 4cyl BMW petrol (318ci). Anyone I've driven was grossly underpowered and a nothing engine.

I agree but for someone coming from a high miler 1.4L Almera to a 2L petrol or diesel 3 series with leather, cruise control and M-sport kit it would be a really nice upgrade. Judging from the list of cars from the OP I dont think he's that into the techanical aspect of cars and craves performance. I would autmatically rule out an integra typeR for that reason too.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    The 'babysitting' required is checking the oil every second fill-up and not shutting down the engine when it's still cold (it runs rich on start up and may flood). It's not really a huge effort, and tbh it's something that people should be doing with any car.

Id disagree. For someone who is not into cars and wants a good looking car with a bit of poke the last thing they should be doing is checking and topping oil up every petrol fill and worrying about whether they can pop down to the shops for a bit of milk without the car needing to be towed home. An E92 M3 can do this, why cant a run of the mill mild performance car? For the average punter they shouldnt need to worry about rotor seals due to cold shtdown, cat converters going, anti-roll bars being replaced etc. Obviously with all cars there is a degree of maintenance required by in my opinion the rx8 takes this to another level hence the babysitting comment.

Its a fantastic car, great looking and nippy enough, its just not worth the hassle for someone who is not mechanically minded or has no real interest in cars besides looks and a bit of go with no fuss.

Maybe a golf gti might be the answer here?

I agree but for someone coming from a high miler 1.4L Almera to a 2L petrol or diesel 3 series with leather, cruise control and M-sport kit it would be a really nice upgrade. Judging from the list of cars from the OP I dont think he's that into the techanical aspect of cars and craves performance. I would autmatically rule out an integra typeR for that reason too.

Good point. I wouldn't mind a 'nice' car but wouldn't be pushed on something high performance like the Integra Type-R (although for the right person they're fantastic). After all, I do drive an Almera. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Id disagree. For someone who is not into cars and wants a good looking car with a bit of poke the last thing they should be doing is checking and topping oil up every petrol fill and worrying about whether they can pop down to the shops for a bit of milk without the car needing to be towed home. An E92 M3 can do this, why cant a run of the mill mild performance car? For the average punter they shouldnt need to worry about rotor seals due to cold shtdown, cat converters going, anti-roll bars being replaced etc. Obviously with all cars there is a degree of maintenance required by in my opinion the rx8 takes this to another level hence the babysitting comment.

Its a fantastic car, great looking and nippy enough, its just not worth the hassle for someone who is not mechanically minded or has no real interest in cars besides looks and a bit of go with no fuss.

Maybe a golf gti might be the answer here?

RX-8 is a great car but I'd have to agree here...currently mine's in the garage getting 2 new starter coils and a new cat :o it's worth it though such a responsive car :D you won't getta good one for less then 10k though and a pup of a RX8 will cause you alot more hastle and expense then a pub of most other cars.

Id disagree. For someone who is not into cars and wants a good looking car with a bit of poke the last thing they should be doing is checking and topping oil up every petrol fill and worrying about whether they can pop down to the shops for a bit of milk without the car needing to be towed home. An E92 M3 can do this, why cant a run of the mill mild performance car?
    If you do a quick search online you'll find plenty of M3 (and 318) owners with high oil usage. Most RX8 owners report oil usage to be in the 1l/1000m to 1l/3000m (although I doubt that last figure) range, BMW consider 1l/1000m to be acceptable. The RX8 is designed to use oil in the engine cycle as a consumable, BMWs are not. But either way if you don't regularly check your engine oil in either car you'll find yourself in trouble.

For the average punter they shouldnt need to worry about rotor seals due to cold shtdown, cat converters going, anti-roll bars being replaced etc. Obviously with all cars there is a degree of maintenance required by in my opinion the rx8 takes this to another level hence the babysitting comment.
    The part about the engine seals and cold shutdown is entirely wrong. The cold shutdown problem is that there is a chance of the engine flooding, it only takes a minute or two to warm up to the required level, and there's a simple cold shutdown procedure anyway if needed.

Cat converters and anti-rollbars can go in any car, there's nothing special about the RX8 there, except for the fact that it's exempt from emissions tests so if your cat does go you don't need to pay out a €1000+ repair bill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Ferris wrote: »
    What about an Integra type-r or as discussed a celica 190. Both cars have handle very well and have good revvy engines. Image might be a problem if you care about that sort of thing.

Another one is the s15 silvia, great handling RWD car and a nice turbo engine. All these cars will do 30mpg if you behave.

+1

I'd be going for a DC5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

With regard to the RX-8 -

Flooding - If you make sure to buy one with the upgraded starter motor, you will have absolutely no issues with flooding. The flooding came about due to the old starter motors being too weak to spin the engine fast enough on start up - hence flooding. The new starter spins the engine 100rpm faster. WHen I bought mine, I had serious trouble starting it. Since I put in the new starter I've had absolutely no trouble at all.

Oil - It does use a bit to lubricate the rotors but it's not a major issue. Makes you feel good when you can look after it and it WILL repay you.

Milage - would you really expect more than 25mpg from a performance car of this standard? No? I thought not :D The tax is €551 for the year. Compared to an M3 €1500 (which holds the exact same time on the TG track as the 8) you're getting a bargain. What you would save on tax every year would justify fuel expenses.

Engine Decarb - doing this every 2 years or so gets all the carbon off the rotors and rotor housings. This carbon is the cause of bad fuel consumption and reliability issues. It's a very easy DIY and it only takes a bit of 1/4 inch pipe, empty 7UP bottle, a bit of WD-40 and water and your engine will be as good as new afterwards.

If you buy an RX-8 be it 190bhp or 231, you will not be disappointed.

stevenmu wrote: »
    If you do a quick search online you'll find plenty of M3 (and 318) owners with high oil usage. Most RX8 owners report oil usage to be in the 1l/1000m to 1l/3000m (although I doubt that last figure) range, BMW consider 1l/1000m to be acceptable. The RX8 is designed to use oil in the engine cycle as a consumable, BMWs are not. But either way if you don't regularly check your engine oil in either car you'll find yourself in trouble.

The part about the engine seals and cold shutdown is entirely wrong. The cold shutdown problem is that there is a chance of the engine flooding, it only takes a minute or two to warm up to the required level, and there's a simple cold shutdown procedure anyway if needed.

Cat converters and anti-rollbars can go in any car, there's nothing special about the RX8 there, except for the fact that it's exempt from emissions tests so if your cat does go you don't need to pay out a €1000+ repair bill :)

You know this and I know this because we are into cars. Does my girlfriend want to be checking her oil every petrol fill or intend on minding her car like this? No, she wants to tax it, insure it, service it normally and forget about it otherwise. She's not interested in the fact that if the car floods there is a chance the cat will get clogged (not a normal fault on other cars!). The flooding issue can also damage exhaust ports. There are a large number of punters out there all in the same boat. Im not saying the rx8 is crap but it is a lot more work than a normal performance car and as a result not to everyones tastes. Im sure you agree with me deep down despite owning one!

One thing i disagree with is the oil consumption. I have owned 5 vtec engines over the years and none of them burned anything near a litre of oil over 1000miles despite honda saying this is to be expected. Its the same with the E46 M3, any owner ive spoken to said it burns very little oil unless it is sick. The rx8 really is in a world of its own with its normal use oil consumption.
    With regard to the RX-8 -

Flooding - If you make sure to buy one with the upgraded starter motor, you will have absolutely no issues with flooding. The flooding came about due to the old starter motors being too weak to spin the engine fast enough on start up - hence flooding. The new starter spins the engine 100rpm faster. WHen I bought mine, I had serious trouble starting it. Since I put in the new starter I've had absolutely no trouble at all.My mate has upgraded his starter and has still managed to flood his 8 on two occasions over the last 6 months, he has also had to replace his plugs as a result of flooding too. Its not always a case of letting it alone and it'll start away after a day. Most people will need to get their car to a garage - a major headache for average joe

Oil - It does use a bit to lubricate the rotors but it's not a major issue. Makes you feel good when you can look after it and it WILL repay you.

Milage - would you really expect more than 25mpg from a performance car of this standard? No? I thought not :D The tax is €551 for the year. Compared to an M3 €1500 (which holds the exact same time on the TG track as the 8) you're getting a bargain. What you would save on tax every year would justify fuel expenses. Forget about the M3 it is on a different planet to the rx8 (just do a search regarding that track time) Look at cars like the DC5, S2000, Silvia S15 and Audi TT, all cars with similar sporting and performance pretensions and similar tax rates and all get on or above 30mpg, it is highly unlikely that you will even manage 25mpg unless you get a serious run, my mate has averaged 17 over the last two years on his weekend car.

Engine Decarb - doing this every 2 years or so gets all the carbon off the rotors and rotor housings. This carbon is the cause of bad fuel consumption and reliability issues. It's a very easy DIY and it only takes a bit of 1/4 inch pipe, empty 7UP bottle, a bit of WD-40 and water and your engine will be as good as new afterwards.Can you see your typical estate agent doing this? There's a reason the golf gti is so popular and not having to do maintenance like this is one of them!

If you buy an RX-8 be it 190bhp or 231, you will not be disappointed.

Lads ive owned an rx7 back in the day and loved it. I also love the idea of an rx8 and really admire mazda for sticking to their principles and having the balls to put the rotary engine in the 8 when a conventional and less tempermental piston engine would have been a massive hit in the same car with better sales. A bit of TLC and the rx8 is fine but most people arent capable of that and dont want the hassle. It really is not for everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

draffodx wrote: »
    Thats a rotten looking Altezza and €11k is a rip off for it!!

like i said its just an example i wudnt buy it either but it was the first i came on with a bit of searching you can find very good ones for less tezzaworld is a great site for them all cars for sale there have been minded like babies

fonda wrote: »
    +1

I'd be going for a DC5.

A DC5 is fine if you want to look like a scumbag.

A DC5 is fine if you want to look like a scumbag.

What a typically rubbish stereotype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

anybody got idea, why rx8 is not available in Ireland from the dealers anymore??

rai555 wrote: »
    anybody got idea, why rx8 is not available in Ireland from the dealers anymore??

Because it falls into the €2000 a year tax bracket so Mazda decided to pull it from there Irish line up.

draffodx wrote: »
    Because it falls into the €2000 a year tax bracket so Mazda decided to pull it from there Irish line up.

Fair enough, power for small engine (emissions) cars :D

and road tax for rx8 pre-07 is 551 AFAIK

Also because VRT is emissions based these days, the retails price would have gone up by €7k or more, between that and the €2k+ annual tax they would have been sale-proof.
    You know this and I know this because we are into cars. Does my girlfriend want to be checking her oil every petrol fill or intend on minding her car like this? No, she wants to tax it, insure it, service it normally and forget about it otherwise. She's not interested in the fact that if the car floods there is a chance the cat will get clogged (not a normal fault on other cars!). The flooding issue can also damage exhaust ports. There are a large number of punters out there all in the same boat. Im not saying the rx8 is crap but it is a lot more work than a normal performance car and as a result not to everyones tastes. Im sure you agree with me deep down despite owning one!
    Thinking about it I supposed you're right. Before buying one I did a fair bit of research and decided that the extra TLC required made very little difference to me, it's not very much extra over what I'd normally do with a car. But to some people I suppose it could sound a little daunting, even if it shouldn't really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement