Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bi-wire or single wire

• 11-03-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

I've been unsure for a while should I keep my speakers bi-wired via a single binding post or should I just use one of the sets of binding posts on the speakers.Am I gaining anything from bi-wiring when its only off one binding post?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

F.Galway wrote: »
    Am I gaining anything from bi-wiring when its only off one binding post?

Not really. Speaker companies have been putting 2 sets of connections on their speakers for years as a marketing tool. Unless you're going to bi-amp, where you'd use a separate amp to drive fow and high frequencies it will make little, if any, audible difference.

Now... in case I've misunderstood you.... are you saying to have 2 posts and one run of cable and the cable only goes to one pair of posts? If so you have a small problem. The signal from teh amp is going to either the woofer or tweeter but not both.
    Assuming you have one cable for each (+ and -) channel/speaker all you need to do is ensure that the binding posts on the speakers are connected to each other... i.e. + low to + high and - low to - high.

in this pic they're joined by brass jumpers but you can use short lenghts of speaker cable (be neat!) just as well.
    axiom-m80ti-speaker-binding-posts.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Not really. Speaker companies have been putting 2 sets of connections on their speakers for years as a marketing tool. Unless you're going to bi-amp, where you'd use a separate amp to drive fow and high frequencies it will make little, if any, audible difference.

I inverse bi-wire. The poweramp has 4 binding posts and the speakers have two. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

I had basically followed this set up fo rthe speakers
    http://www.brilliancehifi.co.uk/how-to-bi-wire-speakers.htm
    and the sound is good from them. Any thoughts on banana plugging the end going into the avr whereby the two wires for each channel are connected through a single plug.The isn't anything to be gained from it is there beside ease of use for connecting?

Advertisement