Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Must play games"

Options
  • 11-03-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Recently got a new laptop and wondering what the "must play" games are at the moment.

Gamespot has rated Batman and Dragon Age both among its best games ever ( 9.5ish )

Are they that good ?

What would you recommend following a 3 year break from gaming ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

What where the last 10 games you played that you liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Batman is excellent, I don't normally enjoy action games but that one was very well done and proved it's possible to do a good "licence" game after all. I understand the PC conversion was very well done, too - haven't tried it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LinHaX

It depends on what do you like. But my suggestions are :

-Fallout 3
    -Prince of Persia
    -Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2
    -Need for Speed : Shift
    -Racedriver : Grid
    -Crysis and Crysis : Warhead
    -Far Cry 2 is quite good tho.

I will try to remind myself some stuff and I`ll let ya know later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

LinHaX wrote: »
    It depends on what do you like. But my suggestions are :

-Fallout 3
    -Prince of Persia
    -Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2
    -Need for Speed : Shift
    -Racedriver : Grid
    -Crysis and Crysis : Warhead
    -Far Cry 2 is quite good tho.

I will try to remind myself some stuff and I`ll let ya know later.

Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Really depends on what sort of games your into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think there are 100 similar threads on here. 1 seems to come up each week.

Must play games - games to play before you die - greatest games ever - what games are you playing atm Jan/Feb/March edition etc

Search button is your friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Daikatana. That way, on your deathbed, you can take solace in the fact that no matter how heinous the sins of your life, at least you're not John Romero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I like most types apart from Racing games.

Deus Ex, Oblivion , Neverwinter Nights , Stalker , Civ 2,3 ,
    Rome Total War , Silent Hunter 3 , Freelancer , would be some of my fav's.

Ideally I'm looking for a game with a good story , graphics don't have to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

-Batman is amazing, best superhero game ever
    -Bioshock 1+2
    -Dragon Age is meant to be MASSIVE, i still havent got round to playing it though
    -Mass Effect 1+2
    -Half-Life 2 and its extra Episodes
    -Portal
    -Civ 4 is also out
    -there are 2 more STALKER games out now c(Call of Pripyat is the better)
    -Silent Hunter 4 has been out a while and SH5 is just out a few weeks
    -X3: Reunion is a good open world space shooter, very hard to get into though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Dead Space? I couldn't swear that the PC port as good as the Xbox version though, I have heard the control system may not be quite as nice.

Other good games not mentioned so far in this thread: Bioshock / Bioshock 2, F.E.A.R, Call of Duty 4, Left 4 Dead. (Yes I like shooting stuff :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

InReality wrote: »
    I like most types apart from Racing games.

Deus Ex, Oblivion , Neverwinter Nights , Stalker , Civ 2,3 ,
    Rome Total War , Silent Hunter 3 , Freelancer , would be some of my fav's.

Ideally I'm looking for a game with a good story , graphics don't have to be good.

If you're a Neverwinter Nights fan, Dragon Age is a must buy. I would also recommend Mass Effect 1&2.

If you're a Rome:TW fan, Empire:TW is a must buy. Currently playing through Napolean:TW myself and thoroughly enjoying it, although it's doesn't have much over Empire:TW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If ur looking for a MMO then i think Eve-online would be up your street judging by your taste.

Leveling up is time based not grinding which is a good thing, but if you do get into it you can quickly lose track of real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Higherstate

marco_polo wrote: »
    Dead Space? I couldn't swear that the PC port as good as the Xbox version though, I have heard the control system may not be quite as nice.

Other good games not mentioned so far in this thread: Bioshock / Bioshock 2, F.E.A.R, Call of Duty 4, Left 4 Dead. (Yes I like shooting stuff :p)

Dead Space was brilliant game that stayed under the radar for most of last year. Played on PC the bigger the screen the better haven't tried on Xbox.

Took a level to get used to the game play due to me playing FPS all the time.

Graphics are top notch that gives an atmosphere that keeps you on the side of your chair for the entire game. No cheats for PC.

Agree with the F.E.A.R trilogy / COD 4 and L4D all get top marks. Though FEAR is a little short and no multiplayer as far as i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Go out and buy Company of heroes and CoH opposing fronts straight away. They are so much fun they give a totally refreshing and new look to the WW11 genre, and are two games i am always going back to. There is just something i love about watching my little engineer teams building tank traps and setting up bard wire perimeters, all the while being covered by a three man MG42 squad.Classic. Avoid the third installment Tales of Valor as its a bit rubbish.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Mass Effect 1 and 2 totally EPIC
    Dragon Age Origins also totally EPIC
    If you have a PC or Laptop that can game you need to play Half Life2 also grab Team Fortress2 and Portal with the Orange Box.
    Fallout 3,Borderlands,assassins creed2 and Bioshock also worth a mention.
    For multiplayer grab Battlefield BC2,Day of Defeat source,COD4 [i wouldnt bother with MW2 its pants]
    RTS games like C&C,world in conflict,company of heroes are great titles.
    Dont forget world of warcraft or similar MMO games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Though FEAR is a little short and no multiplayer as far as i can remember.

FEAR Combat, a standalone free multi player game, needed a US address and ZIP code last time I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

LinHaX wrote: »
    -Prince of Persia

The latest Prince of Persia was a bit rubbish but Sands of Time, Warrior Within and The Two Thrones were all quite good and can be picked up quite cheaply now.

Also, if you're into your RPGs then The Witcher is a must buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

FPS:
    1. Call of Duty 4
    2. Bioshock
    3. Crysis
    4. F.E.A.R.
    5. Stalker

RPG:
    1. Dragon Age
    2. The Witcher
    3. Neverwinter Nights 2
    4. Mass Effect 1 + 2