Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured will i make the marathon?

Options
  • 11-03-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has had a similar experience as me and might offer me some advice?:confused:

I am currently training for a marathon on May 2nd. I got injured 3 weeks ago, muscle strain after a 15 mile run. Im am ready to run again. I was on track with my training but have missed 3 weeks now. I swam for the 3 weeks. Would it be possible to get back up to marathon distance again before may the 2nd? I have 6 full weeks to train. Could i do 2 long runs a week rather than the 2 short 1 long program i was on? Anybody done anything similar to that?

Or should i just go ahead and sign up for the half marathon? :mad:

I really feel like going for the full marathon, havent done 1 before.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nobody can answer this question, but you (and your physio!) but if you're having doubts it's not a good sign. Certainly doubling up your long runs and doing two per week is not the right answer, and will likely lead to injury. Do you have any reason to believe that whatever caused the original muscle injury will not re-occur once your mileage increases again?

6 weeks is enough time to build up to 20 mile runs from 15 mile runs (just about), but you are less likely to enjoy the experience than if you follow a complete (uninterrupted) training program. Your first marathon should be a good experience, rather than a death march (if you'll pardon the poor choice of phrase).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Hi Runman , Sorry to hear of your woes. Do you know if the thigh problem was more of a minor tear or just trigger points and seizing of the muscles locally? This will give you your answer in that trigger points are not really "damage" - more overuse. and you should be still able to get back into your traning. Was this your first 15Miler? What was your longest before that and how many of the longer/medium runs have you done?

Advertisement