Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear immigration in Dub/EWR

• 11-03-2010 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Hi- does anyone know for the Continental 9am Flight to Newark Sat, do we clear immigration in Dublin or Newark?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Hi- does anyone know for the Continental 9am Flight to Newark Sat, do we clear immigration in Dublin or Newark?

If flying direct from Dublin then you clear it at Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Yes all morning flights from Dublin to JFK or EWR clear in Dublin. For the evening flights to the US, however, they clear in the US. The immigration staff are not on duty for the late afternoon/evening flights - which I've encountered the last few times I've flown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Can I ask what difference does it make? I see a few people have asked but I don't understand. Is it just to save time over in the US if you have to catch a connecting flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I was wondering the same thing. What difference does it make where you go through immigration, and why are people so curious as I've seen other posts on this topic also??

If you're worried about not getting through or being turned back, you MUST apply in advance for ESTA - Electronic System for Travel Authorization - it's for passengers travelling to the US under the visa waiver program. It's part of the enhanced security requirements which you must apply for at least 72 hours prior to travel. I've heard of people being turned away at immigration in Dublin/Shannon for not having completed this. You should get a response to your request very quickly. If approved, it's valid for two years for multiple trips. Check out this link for more info:
    http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/Services/travelnoticeUsa.jsp?P_OID=-536881297&Category=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Can I ask what difference does it make? I see a few people have asked but I don't understand. Is it just to save time over in the US if you have to catch a connecting flight?

To save time on the other side, Im only there for a few days so need to make the most of Saturday, ie not be queing for hours in immigration in Newark! Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Blizzard wrote: »
    For the evening flights to the US, however, they clear in the US. The immigration staff are not on duty for the late afternoon/evening flights - which I've encountered the last few times I've flown out.

This i wasn't aware of and never heard before. I know if you fly from Dublin to Heathrow, Standstead or Manchester to connect to US you clear immigration over in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I flew with AA 2 weeks ago from Dublin to Chicago 10:30am) and cleared immigration in O'hare, felt nicer to be in the green card holder/us citizen line than visa waiver. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

lil_lisa wrote: »

It's very simple, at most there are 2 or 3 flights leaving dublin at any one time destined for the US, and when you factor out US citizens on those flights it leads to maybe 400-500 passengers over a 2 hour period that need to clear immigration in Dublin.

On the other end, you have international flights from all over europe, south america and eastern asia landing in JFK constantly, i remember seeing a statistic when this pre-clearance was first introduced that said there was one 2 hour period on the weekly landing schedule in JFK back in 2003 where there were over 60000 immigration liable passengers landing. I know there's been a reduction in air travel because of the recession, but the numbers are surely still pretty high.

Advertisement