Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodburning stove:freestanding versus inset

• 11-03-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I want to replace two open fires with woodburning stoves. It will cost between €800 and €2000 to get the fireplaces adapted ( enlarge the recesses) to accomodate the stoves.

I also want to line the recesses with skamolex fireboard and will have to get some infill hearth pieces which would cost another €500 approx. on top of this.

The other option is to fit inset (or insert / cassette) stoves which would not require increasing the opening sizes.

Does anyone know if an inset is as effective as a freestanding stove and are they more expensive?

The house is difficult to heat and I want to use them to heat the entire ground floor by leaving the room doors open.

One concern with an inset is heatloss through the sides and back as both fireplaces are on external walls.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A freestanding stove will be more efficient than an inset one.

It sounds like you want to have a freestanding stove partially inset into the fireplace opening, hence the cost of enlarging the opening? This would decrease the efficiency a bit of even a freestanding stove. Can you not have the stove wholly located in the room and just bring the flue out to the back of it. This might get around having to enlarge the fireplaces.

It is usually advisable to fit an insulated flue liner with a solid fuel stove, particularly with chimneys which have seen previous use. The cost of suitable liners might also need to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks. Yes, I did consider this but it would entail extending the hearth by 400mm which would take up a lot of space in the room.

The recess would be lined with Scamolex or Super-Isol boards for heat retention.

I intend to line the chimney with a s/s flexi-flue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Yorky wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes, I did consider this but it would entail extending the hearth by 400mm which would take up a lot of space in the room.

I didn't extend the hearth - but did bring stove out as far as I could - but keeping the minimum distance between edge-of-hearth and door of stove.
    However, there is definitely a loss of heat with it being trapped in the fireplace recess and absorbed by the walls. I think I would have extended were I to hve the benefit of hindsight. Consider this aspect carefully.
    The recess would be lined with Scamolex or Super-Isol boards for heat retention
    If you end up using the Scamolex, can you post the result back here in due course? It wasn't known to me as an option when I was putting mine in - otherwise, I would probably have used it.
    I intend to line the chimney with a s/s flexi-flue.
    Big expense - necessary in an old situation - but if its a new house/newly lined chimney, is it necessary?

Advertisement