Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberries/Blueberries/etc

Options
  • 11-03-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Where's the best/cheapest place to get these? I picked up some frozen berries in Tesco recently (Discount brand ones) and they were still pretty expensive. You're looking at paying €3 for just the one which seems a tad expensive to me. Is it just because they're out of season at the moment or are they always this price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think you can get frozen in Lidl/Aldi too. Not sure how much though.

Pretty much always that price.
    Blackberries are cheaper than blueberries. You buy them in larger quantities in eastern european foodstores.
    I get mine in Lithanica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Agreed they're nearly always expensive.

Supervalu do fresh blueberries, just the usual small pack for €2, which is the cheapest we've found so far. (my mother eats them in her porridge every morning so we have to keep a regular stock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Funnily enough Bluberries are quite expensive in NZ too. There's a place about an hours drive from me where you can pick your own and its $22 a kilo (which is like paying €22 a kilo at home). I thought that was still expensive, especially if you're picking them yourself. I have an awesome blueberry shortcake recipe which I've made a few times recently and have been sourcing frozen bluberries which are still not cheap.

Why are they so expensive?

I dont know watna......blueberry bushes are really productive too. |shrug|

Tesco has 99 c cartons (prob 250g) of boylan's blackberries in the freezer this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement