Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing Repairs

Options
  • 11-03-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I left a dress in this week, to a well known Zip and Repair franchise to have a zip put in.

I asked that the zip be concealed because the dress is an evening dress. The individual concerned told me that the zip I had brought in was unsuitable and provided me with another zip.

My daughter collected the dress this afternoon and thought it was OK. It was only when we brought it home and I looked at it that we saw that the zip was like a scar down the dress. It is completely visible and completely at variance with what I asked.

I rang the company and got no satisfaction. I was told that if I know as much about sewing as I pretend (I pretended nothing) that I should have known the zip was wrong. She said that my daughter was happy with the dress and therefore everything was right - I explained that the company entered into a contract with me rather than my daughter and the individual started laughing saying "Contract?".

I suggested that under the sale of goods act that if the product was not suitable for the purpose then there was a problem. She told me that in her opinion the dress was fine, that highly visible zips were the fashion and asked if I was denying her her opinion by disagreeing with her.

I asked for my money back as I would have to get someone else to take out the zip and refit and I was told flatly, NO.

I ended the conversation because I was getting no where.

Do I have any rights?

TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

Was the zip you were shown the one they actually put in? If you agreed to that particular one being put in then I don't really see that you have any comeback now about the type of zip they put in.

HOWEVER, if it's crooked and a botched job then I think you should get your money back or they should do it again properly. It's Sale of Goods and Supply of Services that must be as described, fit for the purpse blah blah so if it's a really dodgy job they did then I think you have the right to a refund or replacement.

Just tell them you'll take a small claims court action against them and they might be a bit more obliging.

Advertisement