Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying around UL this summer and...

Options
  • 11-03-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi, I'm stuck around UL this summer studying for my thesis and other exams. I'd really like to get involved in something worthwhile in my spare time over the summer. I'd particularly be interested in some sort of volunteer work. However, due to a prior commitment I missed out on the opportunity to volunteer for the Special Olympics. So I'm looking for other ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Yeah I'll probably be around as well and would like to contribute also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Its disappointing that people only look to do volunteer work simply for their CVs.I'm not suggesting thats why the OP wants to volunteer as obviously don't know him but a lot of students only do it for that reason.

Jigga wrote: »
    Its disappointing that people only look to do volunteer work simply for their CVs.I'm not suggesting thats why the OP wants to volunteer as obviously don't know him but a lot of students only do it for that reason.

I'm on the dole. I was a sabbat. I'm a volunteer in the Irish Defence Forces.

I'm just bored and instead of polishing a seat with my arse i thought i might help other ppl....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

not sure if they are doing this in 2010 but worth looking into

http://www.limerickcoordination.ie/projects/street-ambassadors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Jigga wrote: »

The initial motivation matters less than the work done. Someone who volunteers for entirely altruistic reasons, but doesn't do a tap, is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'll need a hand diggin out my back garden and landscaping it a bit??

zuroph wrote: »
    I'll need a hand diggin out my back garden and landscaping it a bit??

I do a spot of gardening, gimme a bell if you need a hand man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lol, I was joking, but I may pull you up on that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

zuroph wrote: »
    I may pull you up on that one :D
    Nice choice of words, intentional or not :p

Nockz wrote: »
    Nice choice of words, intentional or not :p

As long as he leaves it attached I'm game. My landlord's such a feckn disgrace to be honest I've started remodelling the house at the moment. We're paying (2 of us in a 6 bed house) €60 a week for a house with no main shower. We're using the ensuite and thats not great either.

I'm putting up extra shelves in my room and considering messing around with the garden and gate a little. Its not a bad place, but the landlord is a joke.

He's hamemring us for rent and esb and 2 lads have left leaving huge bills. Any time he calls round he takes some cash, moans and leaves. He's promised the shower for 6 months. Hence my desire to do things up. :P

Sorry for going off thread there mod, very definitely interested in doing things locally this summer.

Anyone know the path by the side of briarfield to the hurlers? Considering cutting back the weeds there...thoughts????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sibh1

give me an email at siobhan.nolan@specialolympics.ie and Ill see what I can do for regarding volunteering.

Im an old UL student!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

constantg wrote: »

Anyone know the path by the side of briarfield to the hurlers? Considering cutting back the weeds there...thoughts????

I'd even help you do that... it's a mess.

I'd even help you do that... it's a mess.

Agreed man, tis a jokeshop of a place. But do we cut it back or what, i mean who owns t or is it no mans land like the back of the kemmy???

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

constantg wrote: »
    Agreed man, tis a jokeshop of a place. But do we cut it back or what, i mean who owns t or is it no mans land like the back of the kemmy???

Yep..... totally agree............ you don't want to be sued for cutting back someones prized annoying weeds!!!! - Total Jokeshop!!!! + THe back of the Kemmy is a Car Park..... Fail to see the relationship :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Only messing........... but it is true though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hiccups

If you're around for the Summer, then charity shops in town are always looking for volunteers. I know it mightn't be the kinda charity work you have in mind, but I'm always seeing notices in the windows of Oxfam and the Cancer Research shop on William Street.

DJCR wrote: »
    Yep..... totally agree............ you don't want to be sued for cutting back someones prized annoying weeds!!!! - Total Jokeshop!!!! + THe back of the Kemmy is a Car Park..... Fail to see the relationship :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Only messing........... but it is true though!!!

I was talking about the pedestrian entrance to the housing estate where you presently live Dave. And more than likely use every day.

Advertisement