Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which SEA Route to take???

• 11-03-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I’m arriving to Bangkok on March 18th and will spend about a week or so here mainly to get used to the climate (First time in SEA). I’m planning on visiting Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos for as long as each visa allows and travelling throughout each country. My problem is that I’m not sure which route to take, so advice would be much appreciated and taken on board.
    Right now I’m leaning towards (Option 1) Bangkok to Chang Mai to Laos to Vietnam to Cambodia. The 2nd option is Bangkok to Cambodia to Vietnam to Laos to Chang Mai.
    Option 1 seems to be the most logical one to take and also the most travelled itinerary. However I’m worried about the Laos Smoke Factor, how bad is it around April? And is the slow boat from the Thai border to Luang Prabang still feasible in the hot season?
    So which route would you take? Would any particular option lead to a more enjoyable journey?
    Any advice for this first timer in SEA?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dante10

When i got to bangkok, i flew with air asia to hanoi, worked my way south, am in cambodia at the moment, up through laos next and then chiang mei and back to bangkok and then southern islands, malaysia and singapore. basically zigzagging my way through sea

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

i'd say heading up to chiang mai to laos to vietnam to cambodia is your best bet. that's what we just did and it has advantages.

first of all, going from chiang mai across to laos, you'll most likely be taking the slowboat on the mekong river from Huay Xai (on the Laos side of the border) to Luang Prabang (the nicest place in SE Asia!!). It takes two long days on a wooden stool in a big boat, but is quite enjoyable. Lovely scenery and if you have a good crowd, the time goes fast. But if you go the opposite direction, you're going against the current and it can take much longer (sometimes even 3 days instead of 2!)

Another bonus about travelling this way is that you get to finish off with the grandure of epic Angkor Wat rather than the disappointment of the human zoo that is Chiang Mai!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

which ever way you choose it wont matter. Going Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam is the most logical and you will be able to fit in a lot without double tracking. Your plans will probably change as you meet people anyway. The bus from Laos to Vietnam is meant to be one of the worst around. I didn't do it so I'm only going on what I heard. You can also fly the route. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

i'd recommend flying too (but try to avoid Lao Airlines too!) We took the bus from Phonsavan to Vinh and it was easily the most awful experience of my entire year travelling. And that's only half the journey of Vientienne to Hanoi! With the puking locals, people sitting on rice sacks and vats of spilling rice wine and a crowing rooster onboard - it did make for a great story in retrospect!

Advertisement