Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing cream to a wedding (not the bride)

• 11-03-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I know we should not wear white/cream to a wedding - it's the brides day after all.

But, what if the bride is wearing red? Does the rule still apply?
    Especially as most guests don't know she's wearing red.

I have the prettiest navy/cream polkadot top and cream skirt I want to wear to a wedding next week, but I'm not sure. :(

Any pearls of wisdom for me ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I'd check with the bride first and see what she says.

A lot of people will tell you that "you can't wear cream to a wedding". And if you do wear cream, there is a good chance that other guests will make snide comments about your choice of colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

When I read the start of your post I thought if the bride is wearing red but most guests don't know yet then don't wear cream because they would mistake you for the bride, but if your outfit has navy and polka dot surely it can't look too wedding-y?

If it was me and the bride was wearing red and my outfit was only partly cream then I would wear it, I think the top you're planning on wearing will make it fine to wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

there is a good chance that other guests will make snide comments about your choice of colour.

That's on my mind :rolleyes:
    Spadina wrote: »
    I think the top you're planning on wearing will make it fine to wear.

The top is fine, the skirt is long and flowey (not flowery ;)) - so there'd be plenty of cream on view.

I wasn't really expecting to be invited to this wedding.

My only back up choice is a green patterned dress - the wedding is the day before Patrick's Day - so that alone would bring plenty comments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

How cream is the top? I mean is it cream base with only small navy polka dots or is the navy quite prominent?

Is there anyway you can darken it up with a navy cardigan/coat/hat/shoes?

As long as the cream doesn't over-power the outfit I would say it's fine.

I think a cream skirt is fine. As the above poster asked, is the top very cream?

I agree about the green the day before paddy's day though, would probably be lovely but you might feel a bit self conscious.

• Advertisement

Alicat wrote: »
    How cream is the top? I mean is it cream base with only small navy polka dots or is the navy quite prominent?

Navy base, cream dots
    Is there anyway you can darken it up with a navy cardigan/coat/hat/shoes?

As long as the cream doesn't over-power the outfit I would say it's fine.

I would be wearing navy sparkly shoes.

Could wear a navy cardigan but was leaning towards a cream wrap - It just looks better :eek: I'm doomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

juke wrote: »
    That's on my mind :rolleyes:
    Why the need for sarcasm and rolling-eyes?

I was only trying to help. There was no need for the rolling-eyes.

She wasn't being sarcastic. She was rolling the eyes at the people who would be making snide comments I'd say :)

OP, navy base with cream dots will be fine I would say.

Oh and navy sparkly shoes - me likey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Navy base, cream dots

I would be wearing navy sparkly shoes.

Could wear a navy cardigan but was leaning towards a cream wrap - It just looks better :eek: I'm doomed

Ah I think it'd be fine then :) I mean where do you draw the line about not wearing white/cream to a wedding? All this wedding etiquette/pc stuff drives me mad! :P Bar arriving in a big wedding dress you should be allowed wear what you want

I was only trying to help. There was no need for the rolling-eyes.

I AGREE with you - I quoted you post because that's exactly what I think will happen.

Sorry if I was unclear :o

• Advertisement

Ah I think it'd be fine then :) I mean where do you draw the line about not wearing white/cream to a wedding? All this wedding etiquette/pc stuff drives me mad! :P Bar arriving in a big wedding dress you should be allowed wear what you want

I might just try contact the bride and ask her - as Purple_Bobbin suggests. If the bride is ok then hang the rest of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Juke could you post a photo of the dress? It might help us give you advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

All this wedding etiquette/pc stuff drives me mad! :P Bar arriving in a big wedding dress you should be allowed wear what you want

Couldn't agree more. I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Especially, the stories (or urban legends?) about brides dictating where people should not buy dresses from!

If you think it is suitable, it probably is. Especially if the bride is wearing red, suggesting someone less traditional and who is a bit more fun and not in the least worried about what people may or may not think of her!

Unless you are worried about getting on the wrong side of some in-laws, I wouldn't worry about what any other guests think. But anyone who would be seriously offended by a cream skirt isn't worth worrying about.

Magenta wrote: »
    Juke could you post a photo of the dress? It might help us give you advice.

Well, I'm a bit of a techno-phobe, best I can do for now is

Option one

http://www.hobbs.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1139

Top not unlike the first on this page - but with a few frills, no collar. It is a wrap around.
    Skirt - long cream chiffon.

Option 2 - a bit like this cut
    http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/65224422&bklist=icat,5,shop,women,dresses,wommaxidress

but a lime green and bottle green pattern all over, and gold beading in the bodice/straps

Thanks for all your advice so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Well, I'm a bit of a techno-phobe, best I can do for now is

Option one

http://www.hobbs.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1139

Top not unlike the first on this page - but with a few frills, no collar. It is a wrap around.
    Skirt - long cream chiffon.

Option 2 - a bit like this cut
    http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/65224422&bklist=icat,5,shop,women,dresses,wommaxidress

but a lime green and bottle green pattern all over, and gold beading in the bodice/straps

Thanks for all your advice so far :)

If the top is as dark as the one in the first photo then you should be fine.
    I'd avoid wearing a cream wrap with it though.

Advertisement