Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to let 16 year old walk home alone?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I feel sorry for the girl tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Me and my friend used to walk home at 17 from Tallaght....a very rough part of Tallaght...to Rathfarnham in South Dublin at 3 in the morning some nights from house parties because we wouldn't pay for a taxi.

We're both over 6 foot and we were always together but I have to say, despite what my parents would have freaked out about, we never got in any trouble at the time and never once felt as if there was ever a problem. The streets were always just dead.

Looking back I have to say I dunno whether I'd have been as tight to have not just paid a taxi driver:rolleyes:

Although, I think a girl, on her own...should walk in well lit area's and where possible should be with at least a trusted friend if not two...but that's just my personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

lazygal wrote: »
    The age of consent is 17 and a child is required to be cared for by the State or parent or guardian until 18.
    But I was still walking everywhere alone from the time I went to secondary school (13).
    I stand corrected! They can still leave home at 16, but they apparently need parental consent (and what's really going to happen if the parent refuses and the child is adamant?*). I think my point still stands, anyway :)

* http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/children-s-rights-and-policy/children-and-rights-in-ireland#howtoapply "If you leave home before you are 18 without your parents’ consent and you are considered to be homeless or at risk, the Health Service Executive (HSE) may be asked to intervene."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

zynaps wrote: »
    I stand corrected! They can still leave home at 16, but they apparently need parental consent (and what's really going to happen if the parent refuses and the child is adamant?). I think my point still stands, anyway :)

Child would have to obtain a care order from the HSE which, if he or she is in a fairly ok-ish situation (even in that awful Roscommon case) is very difficult as due to consitutional provisions parents have the right to be the primary educator of the child.
    Still crazy to treat a 16 year old like a child, as when will they learn how the real world works? Glad I can afford taxis now!

Advertisement