Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowering??

• 11-03-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of lowering the aul focus, what are people's opinions?

I'm thinking 40mm at least but one of the lads suggested 50mm? :confused:

Hopefully getting alloys in the US during the summer too..:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

30mm then bigger alloys, don't go 50mm whatever you do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

SV wrote: »
    30mm then bigger alloys, don't go 50mm whatever you do..

Yeah ya have a point, 18"s would look pretty snug if it was only 30mm!
    Me mate has his old corolla slammed 50mm and it looks half decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

All depends on how you do it! Coil overs all the way stay from lowering springs unless match ed to the OEM shocks or paired with the right aftermarket shocks/The wrong lowering springs on standard shocks will result in a horrible ride!

Are you lowering for looks or handling?

Either way the answering is coil overs for me,that way you can decide exactly what height you want,and if the are good you can change the damper and rebound settings.

My last car had lowering springs with matched shocks,it was a good set up but my current car has coil overs which are far better!

tossy wrote: »
    All depends on how you do it! Coil overs all the way stay from lowering springs unless match ed to the OEM shocks or paired with the right aftermarket shocks/The wrong lowering springs on standard shocks will result in a horrible ride!

Are you lowering for looks or handling?

Either way the answering is coil overs for me,that way you can decide exactly what height you want,and if the are good you can change the damper and rebound settings.

My last car had lowering springs with matched shocks,it was a good set up but my current car has coil overs which are far better!

To be honest with ya its just for looks, are coil overs expensive though?
    I was told there is a motorsport place in Dundalk (where Im based during the week) that I can get them for 100 yoyos but that must just be lowering springs?
    I'm on a bit of a tight budget, so would it be better ot go up the border to get it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭retrothis

Have a look through this first... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055843141
    Kaisers link on lowering is very good.
    Modified.com has nice diagrams of what happence to the suspension geometry when the car is lowered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭retrothis

Nice focus by the way! Is it a TDCI, 1.4 or 1.6? My girlfriend has that one, a 1.4...has lovely handling.

retrothis wrote: »
    Nice focus by the way! Is it a TDCI, 1.4 or 1.6? My girlfriend has that one, a 1.4...has lovely handling.

Thanks buddy, its a zetec 1.4. Its easy on the aul insurance, when I'm finished college I'm thinking a jeep though!! Might have to keep a "weekend" car :D

retrothis wrote: »
    Have a look through this first... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055843141
    Kaisers link on lowering is very good.
    Modified.com has nice diagrams of what happence to the suspension geometry when the car is lowered.

Thanks for that.. I'll have a sit down later and read through it, try get me head around it! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

When it comes to modifying a car especial in relation to suspension the word Budget doesn't sit well,if you can't afford wait a little longer and save up for a decent set up weather it be decent springs,springs/shocks or coil overs.

tossy wrote: »
    When it comes to modifying a car especial in relation to suspension the word Budget doesn't sit well,if you can't afford wait a little longer and save up for a decent set up weather it be decent springs,springs/shocks or coil overs.

Yeah ya have a good point there. I might price it and then see how I'm fixed or how much more i'v to save.

• Advertisement
Advertisement