Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directory websites what do ye think?

Options
  • 11-03-2010 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

What Are everyones favouite and most used directory websites?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Directory website? I thought they stopped doing those back when search engines were invented!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What ones are out there, I can't think of any close to 'home'. Maybe a few UK ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Have never used one and never will , i really don't see there point as google finds what you need quicker and web directories are populated by users so may not contain exactly what your looking for, not to mention most are covered with ad's and look really cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

While I dont use them for searching, they are vital for Search Engine Optimization. DMOZ being the most important, but good look getting listed in that :D Better off paying for a yahoo directory listing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

CuLT wrote: »
    Directory website? I thought they stopped doing those back when search engines were invented!
    Was talking about this with Conor last night and we think that this is one of those generation gap things. For example, I have enough bookmarks that when I export them, the html file is 1.8Mb in size. I depend on Xmarks to keep them all sync'd up, to the point that I've not switched to Chrome and Chromium because their Xmarks extension is a bit broken right now. Conor was flummoxed by this because he has no bookmarks, he uses Google instead.

It was at that point that we compared what the first browser we'd ever used was - for Conor it was an early Netscape build if I remember right; for me it was Archie and Gopher. NCSA Mosaic didn't come along until I was in college.

:D

So I remember directory websites as being vital to ever finding anything on the internet (because there were literally thousands of sites out there and any day now there would be tensof thousands and how could you find what you were looking for without them?). For Conor, they're an anachronism with only SEO uses, and CuLT's probably never looked at one outside of random curiosity :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

emmax wrote: »
    What Are everyones favouite and most used directory websites?
    Are you looking for ones to submit a site to?

If you're looking for general / international ones see:

http://info.vilesilencer.com/

They only list sites that give "clean" links

There's been a few threads over here on Irish directories as well

Advertisement