Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gale gs401

• 11-03-2010 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

wondering could anyone tell me how much my gale gs401 speakers are worth .i have them from new bought them from noel cloney audio .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

• Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

wondering could anyone tell me how much my gale gs401 speakers are worth .i have them from new bought them from noel cloney audio .

Feck - which finish are they - do they have the chrome endcaps - if so, they are highly collectable....

Keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Feck - which finish are they - do they have the chrome endcaps - if so, they are highly collectable....

Keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc
    hi john Mc yes they do have the chrome lovely speakers,
    to be honest my amp quad 405 is playing up 33 pre amp is playing up probably need to change the amp but things are bad out of work :mad:
    so what do you reckon there worth ,basically im just curious .
    thank's for the reply.edit the demo i heard was a flamenco dancer felip de la rosa you would sware he was in the room with you ,(so to speak) btw i still have the boxes they came in never throw anything out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A pair like yours sold on eBay for €246

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Gale-GS-401-A-High-End-Speaker-aus-1976-Raritaet_W0QQitemZ170456765630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Lautsprecher_Martin?hash=item27b003d4be#ht_984wt_1167

I remember hearing a pair of these being demoed in the 80's. I remember it because the test record was of someone banging away on some large pieces of steel with a hammer and funnily enough, the speakers made it sound just like that! Very impressive demo it was too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jdal

Hope this isn't too late for you. I've just rebuilt a pair of these (wooden ones), the 401C, yours are 401A's. If you have the matching stands that will add to the value. The big problems with Gale 401's is that they need an amp with considerable welly to get them going, Quad 405 is about the minimum, also the two bass drivers are wired in parallel and are rated at 5.6 ohms each, so the impedeance can drop below 2 ohms causing amps to overheat. The biggest problem, however, is that the speaker surrounds deteriorate and break up over time, causing distortion in reproduction. This might be problem you suspect is caused by the 405. You can get refoaming kits from www.speaker-repairs.co.uk
    Having said that, few modern speakers can match Gales for sound and presence and you should get 350 + for a good pair.

• Advertisement

jdal wrote: »
    Hope this isn't too late for you. I've just rebuilt a pair of these (wooden ones), the 401C, yours are 401A's. If you have the matching stands that will add to the value. The big problems with Gale 401's is that they need an amp with considerable welly to get them going, Quad 405 is about the minimum, also the two bass drivers are wired in parallel and are rated at 5.6 ohms each, so the impedeance can drop below 2 ohms causing amps to overheat. The biggest problem, however, is that the speaker surrounds deteriorate and break up over time, causing distortion in reproduction. This might be problem you suspect is caused by the 405. You can get refoaming kits from www.speaker-repairs.co.uk
    Having said that, few modern speakers can match Gales for sound and presence and you should get 350 + for a good pair.

cheers you know your speakers , i do get distortion but i think it's from the amp lot of crackling when i turn on the amp.when i bought them from noel cloney audio there were easly the best speakers he had even better than the linn imho.im not sure if i would sell them now to be honest i would be left with no sounds :mad:thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jdal

cheers you know your speakers , i do get distortion but i think it's from the amp lot of crackling when i turn on the amp.when i bought them from noel cloney audio there were easly the best speakers he had even better than the linn imho.im not sure if i would sell them now to be honest i would be left with no sounds :mad:thanks for the reply

just in case you feel like taking on a rebuild, here's a link to a guy in England who rebuilt chrome capped ones

www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69080

i actually think the speakers are ok it's the amp that's on the dodgy side.but theres no way in finding that out unless i try a more powerful amp and i know nobody in that line .anyway no what i can't afford to do anything just yet no work and other things to sort out ,you know the story im sure.thanks for the link anyway.;)

Advertisement