Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards jersey order 2010

• 11-03-2010 10:46pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd throw this out there but is there any plans to order jerseys this year or design new ones?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Just thought I'd throw this out there but is there any plans to order jerseys this year or design new ones?

Well done for volunteering Cap'n.

I think it's time for a new kit before you start taking orders though.

Pink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Thanks for volunteering :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

niceonetom wrote: »

Pink?

Captain was not volunteering as a)his credit card is maxed, b)he has a very low tollerance level c)is living outside the pale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Thank you for volunteering Capt'n. I'm in for a skinsuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Pink?

Throw up that design you did last year. Other than pink, I liked that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Blacker ...

ROK ON wrote: »
    Throw up that design you did last year. Other than pink, I liked that one.

This one?
    85497.jpg

That was for a potential wool jersey, so the design is a bit retro. If I were doing something in lycra it would be far less tasteful I assure you. And there would be shorts to match. This basically, but with different logos:
    102572.jpg

If we are to get new kit, and we're having a redesign, I think we shouldn't use carvalho again. The fit is just weird. Spin11 seem ok. There are others too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

We're not going pink either!!!!!!

Men who are comfortable with their sexuality have no issue with pink.

Who said I was comfortable with it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

my only issue with pink is that i've nothing that would match it, that said i've very little matching the boardsie orange......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Bluer...

78765.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Very retro and very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

apologies for the ignorance, but what does "equito ergo sum" mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

abcdggs wrote: »
    My guess would be "I cycle therefore I am" similar to the "cogito ergo sum".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

capo forma for the manufacturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

For someone who is not organising the order you're putting in a lot of input:)

My vote would be for a retro sportswool one - http://www.woolistic.com/

If there is to be a re-design, maybe we could go with an Irish company? http://www.velotec.co.uk/about.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If we are to get new kit, and we're having a redesign, I think we shouldn't use carvalho again. The fit is just weird. Spin11 seem ok. There are others too.

Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Spin. Wet newspaper in your shorts would make for a better chamois.

I do like that ISD kit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

We're getting our kit from Giordana this year. Had samples sent over and they seem high quality - can't say how well they wear or ride but I'd be surprised it they weren't up to the task. No design fee but large first order required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

wool not be pretty warm for summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not cycling around in clothing plastered in latin phrases. It seems excessively pretentious, and I think I have quite a high bar for pretention.

That's all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

abcdggs wrote: »

AFAIK
    It means "We ride therefore we are",
    technically I think Equito means "we ride (a horse)"

Though I'm with lumen on this one far too prententious

el tonto wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Spin. Wet newspaper in your shorts would make for a better chamois.

I do like that ISD kit though.

The chamois in my orwell shorts is the same as in some low-end giordana gear I have. It's adequate, but not much more.

I like mocking up designs for this kind of thing, but there'll will be no requests from the cheap seats, not after that wool jersey thread. Design by committee never works. I'll do what I do - take it or leave it. You're all free to come up with your own suggestions. In image form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Mosiki wrote: »
    wool not be pretty warm for summer?

this is ireland we're talking about

if it was ggod enough for riders in the 60's it should be good enough for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

I wouldn't mind one of those woolen ones... Anyway, I may well put my name in for some of this stuff, if an order goes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I'd be on for a new jersey.
    Plan to do a lot more cycling this year. No rugby, new house or no bike excuses for this summer.

I really liked Tom's retro design. Not too gone on pink, but what do I know

The chamois in my orwell shorts is the same as in some low-end giordana gear I have. It's adequate, but not much more.

I like mocking up designs for this kind of thing, but there'll will be no requests from the cheap seats, not after that wool jersey thread. Design by committee never works. I'll do what I do - take it or leave it. You're all free to come up with your own suggestions. In image form.

Nice one Tom, looks like you've just taken over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

The reviewers for those shorts all seem pretty happy with the chamois. I guess if you've nothing to compare them against they're ok. Still watiing on mine with trepidation.

For people who like black jerseys I like the Black and gold on the Carim???? Jersey.
    Can't remember the exact team name. But I know someone here will know what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

For people who like black jerseys I like the Black and gold on the Carim???? Jersey.
    Can't remember the exact team name. But I know someone here will know what it is.

Carmiooro NGC

bes10st1024_1_600.jpg

Yes, I agree black and gold amber all the way.

I think you need to bear in mind with the shorts that none of them tend to be that high quality. Spin 11 ones are maybe a bit better than Carvalho shorts-wise but it is marginal. The jerseys from Carvalho are top notch which IMO is the more important bit. Outside racing (and Boards is not a racing team) most people would tend to wear their own plain shorts anyway, which are better (albeit generally more expensive) than any you will get on a kit order.

blorg wrote: »
    The jerseys from Carvalho are top notch

Assos is top notch. Carvalho is adequate.

Raam wrote: »
    Assos is top notch. Carvalho is adequate.
    Top notch prices too. I actually have an Assos jersey that is far worse than my Boards one. Admittedly it is from the late 80s.

blorg wrote: »
    I think you need to bear in mind with the shorts that none of them tend to be that high quality. Spin 11 ones are maybe a bit better than Carvalho shorts-wise but it is marginal. The jerseys from Carvalho are top notch which IMO is the more important bit. Outside racing (and Boards is not a racing team) most people would tend to wear their own plain shorts anyway, which are better (albeit generally more expensive) than any you will get on a kit order.

I'd rate the Carvalho shorts as being better than the Spin ones. Having said that, they're still not as good as other brands. I think the biggest problem with Carvalho is the jerseys. The sizing is all over the shop and they're far too long.

• Advertisement

I'd rate the Carvalho shorts as being better than the Spin ones. Having said that, they're still not as good as other brands. I think the biggest problem with Carvalho is the jerseys. The sizing is all over the shop and they're far too long.
    I think they have fixed the sizing, I got a more recent Boards "M" and it was more normal. Also recall that they actually do custom sizing, anyone who went for that got a jersey that fitted I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Only problem with the boards jersey was it was too damn long! Orwell jersey fits better but then I did order my boards jersey before I even considered "race fit" so maybe I could have gone down a size.

Winter jacket has been fantastic though, I agree with Blorg I think the quality is decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

The sizing is all over the shop and they're far too long.

But that's fine if you've short legs and a long body like me :)

Personally, I think the Carvalho shorts more than adequate, certainly better than any other shorts I have. And while I don't have anything uber-expensive like Assos, my other shorts did cost more than the boards ones. The jersey is fine too, as good or better than other stuff I have. For the price, I'm very happy with the quality.

Gloves are sh1te.
    Cap is very very poor.
    Shorts are barely adequate, certainly would not wear on a long cycle.
    Winter tights - a joke. I would not wear them below 12 degrees. My cheapest BBB legwarmers are warmer by a long shot.
    The jersey seemed to be ok in terms of feel, but I sold the 2 or 3 that I rodered because despite varying the sizes, the ranged from looking like a knee length dress to a mini skirt. I kid yo not.
    I am 5'8". I know thats small, but it is hardly an unusual sizing for a man. No matter what other jersey or jacket that I have worn I have never encountered this problem.

Whether we get a new design or not is fine by me. However if Capt Havoc does go ahead with the order I would like a jersey, but really would like a high quality full zip jersey that fits. Thats not exactly a huge ask, is it now.

I think that there are a lot better value and better quality and both shorts, glooves, hats, arm, knee and leg warmers on the market. So maybe it is not worth getting an entire kit and just concentrate on getting a good quality well priced jersey?

Carmiooro NGC

bes10st1024_1_600.jpg

That is class. Black and gold I likee. However black with silver trim would match my bike. I think the rider needs a completely matching look of kit and bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

@ROK ON: What do you mean by cap being poor? I end up with deep lines in my forehead after wearing it, even with minimal helmet tension. Do you suffer from the same? I thought it was just my head, maybe I need a new cap.

The peak part is too floppy.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    @ROK ON: What do you mean by cap being poor? I end up with deep lines in my forehead after wearing it, even with minimal helmet tension. Do you suffer from the same? I thought it was just my head, maybe I need a new cap.
    Raam wrote: »
    The peak part is too floppy.

Yes. Peak is too floppy. But on a hard cycle I sweat a lot, so it is important for me that thye cap absorbs this. My rapha caps are great for this, the boards ones not so much, which means that the moisture from the hat can seep into my eyes after 3 hours plus.
    Like a leaky sponge. Not good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

my only issue with pink is that i've nothing that would match it, that said i've very little matching the boardsie orange......

Contrary to popular belief, PINK goers with everything, my name is down for one if it's one of the wool ones with pink instead of blue.

At least cars will have no excuse :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I end up with deep lines in my forehead after wearing it, even with minimal helmet tension. Do you suffer from the same?
    I get that with most hats, you must also have a sensitive forehead.

Advertisement