Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training??? whats the best

Options
  • 11-03-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi all
    iv been just givin a greyhound pup [8 weeks old] for my b-day off my neighbour
    whats the best to feed them and how much
    how old do you start training and whats the best way to keep tem fit
    all advise please and tanxs
    new to this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rothar man

Hi there,
    i m not an expert but my dad has had dogs for as long as i can remember and i ve spent a lot of time with them growing up but living in dublin, cant have one here.

for an 8 weeks old pup, the most important thing is to make sure they have been innoculated for jaundice ect. In terms of looking after it, i dont know your set up but greyhounds like any dog need to be left out to pee for 2-3 times per day, or leave them out all day would be even better.

in terms of feed, nuts are best, redmills, gain, mix with water/milk and some minced meat 1/2 a week and a bone every now and agian is great for their teeth. the sooner you train a dog to the collar the better and galloping/walking freq. they are athletes at the end of the day and need lots of exercise to keep them happy.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

well all depends on what you mean by training cam
    do you intend to race this dog or is it purely a pet??

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cam1452

im planing to go racing the dog mozil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

You need space and plenty of it.A pup/sapling needs to stretch out his/her legs big time and not be confined to a run.Pen reared pups cannot stretch out when they get older and so look like their dancing when racing,and usually dance very badly at that.If you have the space required go get another pup of same age and let them out together all day only bring them in to feed and sleep.Along with space the feeding is crucial making sure they have plenty of meat when older [raw and cooked],proper nuts,meal,yogurt,fish,chicken,brown bread,olive oil or cod liver oil and access to clean water at all times.Using large bones helps clean their teeth ,goodness from marrow and prevents boredom.Make sure the pup has a warm dry bed to sleep on.If pup is loose in field for long periods check every so often for fleas/ticks.Hunting is preferred but if not Leave a ball in the field and get them chasing it is great fun for them and gets their [eye in].Then at the right age comes some serious education.How is your pup bred?? I hope you have lots of fun and luck with your latest acquisition.REMEMBER POOR REARING MEANS POOR DOG.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EskimoJack

sting60 wrote: »
    You need space and plenty of it.A pup/sapling needs to stretch out his/her legs big time and not be confined to a run.Pen reared pups cannot stretch out when they get older and so look like their dancing when racing,and usually dance very badly at that.If you have the space required go get another pup of same age and let them out together all day only bring them in to feed and sleep.Along with space the feeding is crucial making sure they have plenty of meat when older [raw and cooked],proper nuts,meal,yogurt,fish,chicken,brown bread,olive oil or cod liver oil and access to clean water at all times.Using large bones helps clean their teeth ,goodness from marrow and prevents boredom.Make sure the pup has a warm dry bed to sleep on.If pup is loose in field for long periods check every so often for fleas/ticks.Hunting is preferred but if not Leave a ball in the field and get them chasing it is great fun for them and gets their [eye in].Then at the right age comes some serious education.How is your pup bred?? I hope you have lots of fun and luck with your latest acquisition.REMEMBER POOR REARING MEANS POOR DOG.

good post, you won't go to far wrong. I have 8 pups at the moment alot of work involved but hopefully the rewards will be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭dzzope

Hey guys.

M8 of mine has some dogs and has tried and likes the results from using treadmills.

However he can't find quite what he is looking for now that he's decided to use them full time on all his dogs.

He's looking for a machine that can run 3 dogs at a time.. Any info on where to find one. new or used (pref used). I have found a place in UK that does triples but it's limited in the speed that can be used when three dogs are on it and also the size of the dog.

Any help, info or general points in the right direction would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

EskimoJack wrote: »
    good post, you won't go to far wrong. I have 8 pups at the moment alot of work involved but hopefully the rewards will be great.
    Good look with pups just hope the sire is not an Irish Derby winner. these sires are shocking at producing any type of quality pups.

thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭scartman1

<snip>
    I have greyhounds myself, and they are good fun, but you need to learn a lot about them if you are to have success.
    Its very competitive.
    They are a nice dog even without racing, and are good company, and will chase a rabbit for you if you have have any inclination to go hunting with them.
    Regardless have fun with the dog.

well lads have the two bithes in training at the minute your man will know at the end of these month if theyl be worth keeping. so hopefully

• Advertisement
Advertisement