Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Raising Strategies

• 11-03-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Since HG&SS are coming out very soon, I was wondering how every goes about raising their teams through the gyms up to the Elite Four.

When I was younger, I used to just train the flip out of my starter, and that used to work out fine most of the time, but now I try to raise teams evenly. It happens often that my starter actually falls behind these days! I reckon I'll start with Cyndaquil this time, give myself a bit of a challenge.

How will everyone else be approaching it?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I remember when I played through Gold, I used to do the same as you do now, only with more pokémon, that is about 12 of them. By the time I got to gym 5, my pokemon were simply not strong enough, and I had to spend hours grinding them up to standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'll usually just pick a team of 6 incorporating different types that I'll use throughout all the gym leaders then maybe change a bit and level up for the elite 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

A mixture of a little pre-preparation by mapping out what Pokémon I'd get so that I have a balanced and diversified team; and a little bit of catching whatever the hell comes my way.

Usually stick solely with the starter until about Level 15-20, then add more team members. Although I have been known to stick with the starter all the way to around Level 30+ on some occasions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

God I feel thick reading that. I've wasted so much time.... I always caught whatever was going until I had a team of 6 differen't 'Mons - so usually the starter, the pidgey clone, the current Rattattalike etc etc. I took the in-game advice at face value and always caught the lowest level pokemon I could 'cause it said that raised Pokemon were stronger (didn't know about EVs until Diamond came along) and I'd keep catching every single species that came my way. And I'd grind the hell out of them to try and keep them all level. I'd usually get sick of this at about level 25-30 at which point I'd end up with a panel of 3-4 consistent team members and 7-8 subs to bring in for different situations. I thought I'd changed with Platinum but I still haven't finished Iron Island, I use the dude with the Lucario, a level 40+ Pokemon and an Exp Share to raise *all* pokemon with a decent water, fighting, grass or ground attack to lvl 30 and then stick them on the front line with a lucky egg to raise them to 40. I spent about 3 weeks doing that exclusively. Probably crap for EVs but I'm not fussy...

At least with Emerald I've stuck to 7 pokemon (Mudkip, Aron, the flaming Camel, Ralts, swellow, the little electric lizard dog that turns into Manectric that I thought was called Mantyke but isn't and then a Marill to act as HM bitch.) and raised them as best I can, only catching stuff I want to pal park over to D/P/Pt.

Anyone got a list of good areas to train the different types and / or the different EVs for any and all generations and levels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Any of those places where someone tags along and heals your Pokémon are great. Otherwise, I just give an Exp Share to the Pokémon I want to raise and go to the place with the highest level Pokémon, like Victory Road, or those areas in Diamond that you get to after getting the National Dex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

I remember the first time I got a Pokemon game & I had no idea how to catch pokemon, or that you could run from a battle.

So basically, by the time I had got my 2nd gym badge I had a Blastoise! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It can also be hard not to over train your pokémon before you get the gym badge that will make it obey you. That happened me one or twice :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Yeah, I wish they'd change that crap rule for the next generation. For Platinum I traded over a few pokemon from Diamond that I wanted to level up.

"Mareep will not obey."
    "Mareep turned away."
    "Mareep is loafing around."

FML!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I never have a strategy.
    I just get my started, kick ass, catch some more Pokémon, kick some ass, use the normal types 'till I can catch some more interesting types, then catch them, and kick even more ass.
    I make sure I have one Pokémon that I can walk clean through every gym with. That's one Pokémon per gym, this way, I always have my team with at least one super power and some seriously tough dudes to help out in a pinch!

For the Elite four, it's usually the same story. One beast for each person, with back ups and then use the overly powerful monster in my team to smash my way through the league champion... That and loads of full restores for the last battle. :D

It's probably not the best way to be, but It gets me through very fast.

In fairness, they usually keep you from trading over a level 70 Salamence and kicking the holes of all who stand before you until you hit the E4. The badge allowances are a little tight for the first two gyms if you're an over zealous grinder but otherwise they shouldn't get in your way.

I'd prefer to keep that and swap HMs for more area-unlocking items like the anti-dust goggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

I usually just go with the starter and raising a Magikarp to Gyarados and see what happens from there. Never have more than 4 or so pokemon who get any levelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I generally keep with my starter and use nothing but him/her until I find some rarer pokémon (In Yellow this was Snorlax, the Legendaries and Eevee, in Gold that tree pokémon, Golden Gyarados, legendaries, can't remember in Pearl or anything).

Just got Heart Gold and am catching a lot more than I used to but don't really intend to "use" anything but starter for a while, will probably just keep the others for HMs and stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Thus far I have been maintaining a party of 4 at all times however I would have a team of 6 in total that I would want to train so I would constantly be switching them around.

I am at the point now where my current team is very similar to my previous teams from other games so I am going to pidgeon-hole (perhaps trade-away) some of my current and start up-skilling some new guys that I have never used before.

Gym battles thus far have been a walk through. That said I came pretty close against the 3rd Gym Leader who used Jigglypuff and Clefairy (I think). All of my 'mon (team of 4) fell in love with them after one move each. Eventually while the rest of my team stood there being beaten around I revived and healed my Kangkaskan who then Mega-Punched the s**te out of them and sealed the win.

I have to say the PokeWalker is pretty cool for keeping teams on a level field, very handy to stick a team member on it, go about your day and they pretty much always level up from each walk. Or maybe I just walk a lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd be sunk without the EXP. SHARE. Get a low level pokemon up to a respectable level and then can start using it fully in battles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

same myself. Once they know an attack of their type, they are normally fine then to let loose on their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I generally keep my whole team around the same level, raising them around 5 levels at a time. So once one gets to level 50 for example, I'll start raising the next who's on 45 etc. Then when I get a new Pokemon I do that switching trick till they're at a high enough level to fend for themselves, and then train the bejaysus outta them.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

I tend to pick my party before I start playing, I pick six different types and will only level those six. I also try and teach them strong TM's so I can be prepared for any eventuality
    I'd be sunk without the EXP. SHARE.

I was levelling a Grimer in Soul Silver with my Exp Share when I used the Fling move. I'd saved before I realised what I'd done. I nearly cried when I realised.

I have 5 or 6 exp shares in Diamond, and I may have a trade window this sunday evening after 8:30 or so if you want a replacement. Might be a bit awkward since I buggered up my touchscreen fixing the top LCD cable and I haven't screwed the case back together yet on the DS my friend code is registered on, but I'm willing to give it a go if you are :)

Advertisement