Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falsely accused in store

Options
  • 11-03-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

Hopefully somebody will be able to help me out with this.

Today, my girlfriend was shopping in the grocery section of a well known store. She paid for her items and also used her store points card to get points.

At this stage, the customer behind accused my girlfriend of taking her card. This is where the main issue arises. Rather than use common sense and logic and ask the woman her name and check this against the signature on the card, she told my girlfriend that as the woman has said this, she would require ID from my girlfriend to prove that the card did in fact belong to her.

My girlfriend added that this was said in an accusing tone.

Now it gets a bit more ridiculous. My girlfriend gave ID which matched the signature at which point the worker HANDED THE CLUBCARD TO THE WOMAN AND ASKED WAS IT HER CARD!

The woman acknowledged it was not and the worker gave my girlfriend her card and change without a word of apology.

CONTINUES NEXT POST

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Bring your concerns to the attention of store management be that by a quiet word or a quick letter.

That's what I'd do and where I'd leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

so you think your girlfriend was falsely accused of what ? taking another persons points card ?

the matter was investigated at the time and resolved - where is the problem ?

if someone comes up to you thinking you are his mate from jail .... then after you tell him you are not his mate and you dont know him...can you accuse this guy of falsely claiming you were in prison ...no ...it was a simple mistake, if you or your GF had a problem at the time you should have taken it up with the lady who accused you of allegedly taking/using her points card.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dtbDublin

Now, either this guilty until proved innocent procedure is store policy or the worker has woeful customer service skills.

Either way it is unacceptable.

Also, maybe of note the worker and accuser were of similar age while my girlfriend is younger (mid twenties). I wonder if this had any bearing on who was believed.

How do you think she should proceed with this?

She was very upset and humiliated in front of people so she just wanted out of there at the time.

Thanks for any replies.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    so you think your girlfriend was falsely accused of what ? taking another persons points card ?

the matter was investigated at the time and resolved - where is the problem ?

if someone comes up to you thinking you are his mate from jail .... then after you tell him you are not his mate and you dont know him...can you accuse this guy of falsely claiming you were in prison ...no ...it was a simple mistake, if you or your GF had a problem at the time you should have taken it up with the lady who accused you of allegedly taking/using her points card.

The issue is with the handling of the situation. The worker did not believe my girlfriend, demanded her ID rather than the accuser's and handed the card to the accuser after being provided ID.

dtbDublin wrote: »
    Now, either this guilty until proved innocent procedure is store policy or the worker has woeful customer service skills.

Either way it is unacceptable.

Also, maybe of note the worker and accuser were of similar age while my girlfriend is younger (mid twenties). I wonder if this had any bearing on who was believed.

How do you think she should proceed with this?

She was very upset and humiliated in front of people so she just wanted out of there at the time.

Thanks for any replies.

to me it sounds like you are hoping that people claim that you should sue them ..... I've been in and out of the Civil Court on a daily basis and I would tell you to get on with your life - stop looking for someone to blame.

I say this all the time ..... 10-15-20years ago if this had happened nothing would have been said....everyone would have gotten on with their lives.....nowadays.... its all ....someone else is to blame, lets sue them !!

there was a case in the Civil Court last week where a gateway at the entrance to a park (which is spring loaded) ... anyway .... 2 girls entering the park, first goes through the gate and the gate swings closed - just as its closing the second girl tries to catch the gate with her hand and it gets caught ..... Anyways - second girl sues the council because the gate springs MUST have been too taught.

She gets €10K and walks away happy. (and people wonder why insurance prices are soo damn high)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

So the accusation was "I think you're fraudulently using my card to give me, a stranger, some future benefit in the form of vouchers"?

The majority of stores that have those kinds of cards also have a number you can call written on the back. Call them and register your complaint there, it will be passed to the store.

Random wrote: »
    Bring your concerns to the attention of store management be that by a quiet word or a quick letter.

That's what I'd do and where I'd leave it.

Thanks for the advice.

Though I'm guessing it'd be in one ear out the other!

The issue is with the handling of the situation. The worker did not believe my girlfriend, demanded her ID rather than the accuser's and handed the card to the accuser after being provided ID.

if you feel like your girlfriend has a case then by all means bring it to a solicitor and ask them to proceed with a defamation action - I'll even suggest a solicitor if you like.

its possible that she will get money - I guess I'm annoyed by what I perceive as simple cases where no harm was actually done.

you may have a case - but the store might claim that your action should be against the woman who made the claim in the first place - which would mean that you have to take an action against both parties and let them fight it out as to where liability lies.

EDIT: if I read a little more into your logic .... then if the worker choose to believe your girlfriend then does that mean that the lady making the accusations would have a similar case - that the worker ignored her claims - which may or may not have been valid.....so in that situation the shop worker is in a catch22 situation ...yer damned if you do and yer damned if you dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Guilty, innocent, what the hell is this? No crimes were committed here, and apart from some shop worker's poor customer relations skill, I don't see what the problem is.

I suggest you get over it, and move on. This is quite possibly the least important thing that any person has ever been "accused" of.

to me it sounds like you are hoping that people claim that you should sue them .....

Eh, no just looking for advice on how to actually ensure something is done about it. What would she claim for, the 6 points from the transaction?! :)

Yes, she will live it's about the shoddy treatment.

• Advertisement

Eh, no just looking for advice on how to actually ensure something is done about it. What would she claim for, the 6 points from the transaction?! :)

Yes, she will live it's about the shoddy treatment.

my apologies - having shown the thread to the missus - she tells me I'm working in the Civil Court too much.

immediately I look at the legal route !!! (my mistake)

but seriously though ....all you can do is complain to them - write a strongly worded letter, and wait for the tumbleweed to saunter past.

Customer service in this country has gone to sh1te - for a number of years people have been complaining and suing over various small customer service matters and companies are loosing money most of the time.

as the old adage goes : "its so hard to get good staff these days"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

to me it sounds like you are hoping that people claim that you should sue them ...

Does it?

All I can see for sure is OP telling us about an experience that his girlfriend had, an experience that was unpleasant for her and that was handled inappropriately by a shop employee.

[PS: PCPhoto posted an apology while I was composing my post. Well done.]

jor el wrote: »
    Guilty, innocent, what the hell is this? No crimes were committed here, and apart from some shop worker's poor customer relations skill, I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is that it was dealt with really badly.

Anyway, the best advice for this matter is probably to write a letter, though she'll be looking for follow up.

It's about ensuring we get high standards of customer service for the price we pay.

The problem is that it was dealt with really badly.

Anyway, the best advice for this matter is probably to write a letter, though she'll be looking for follow up.

It's about ensuring we get high standards of customer service for the price we pay.

you could send a letter through a solicitor complaining of the service and say you are contemplating further action - maybe that could shake them up.

my apologies - having shown the thread to the missus - she tells me I'm working in the Civil Court too much.

immediately I look at the legal route !!! (my mistake)

but seriously though ....all you can do is complain to them - write a strongly worded letter, and wait for the tumbleweed to saunter past.

Customer service in this country has gone to sh1te - for a number of years people have been complaining and suing over various small customer service matters and companies are loosing money most of the time.

as the old adage goes : "its so hard to get good staff these days"

Having worked in customer service Icouldn't agree more. If I'd handled a situation like that in any of my old jobs I'd have been out the door!

you could send a letter through a solicitor complaining of the service and say you are contemplating further action - maybe that could shake them up.

Hmm, good advice though I think she'd be wary of them thinking she's part of the 'I'll sue you/ phone Joe Duffy' brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

My girlfriend gave ID which matched the signature at which point the worker HANDED THE CLUBCARD TO THE WOMAN AND ASKED WAS IT HER CARD!
    This is somewhat excusable in that the worker was obviously a bit dim

The woman acknowledged it was not and the worker gave my girlfriend her card and change without a word of apology.
    This is inexcusable. There are plenty of people looking for work at the moment. I'm sure the supermarket could find someone with basic manners to do the job if they really tried.

This is inexcusable. There are plenty of people looking for work at the moment. I'm sure the supermarket could find someone with basic manners to do the job if they really tried.

Too true. With the amount of people looking for work companies have no excuse for hiring and keeping employees who do not provide the very best service .

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Why would someone steal someone elses Club Card? How does that benifit the theif?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I suggest you get over it, and move on.

This attitude sickens me. The store involved demonstrated horrific customer service and there should definitely be a complaint made to the management of that store. If we were all to just 'get over it' what kind of a country would we be living in at all? Oh wait.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Please do complain about the staff member. If more people did that we wouldn't be subjected to crap/rude service at tills as often. It really annoys me when you are going through the transaction and the bint at the till is carrying on a loud conversation with another staff member as if you don't exist. On the same note, if someone on a till is regularly friendly and polite - submit a compliment.

Also that woman behind your girlfriend was a crazy person.

Kimia wrote: »
    The store involved demonstrated horrific customer service

I think you're over stretching the mark there, by more than a little. If this is your idea of horrific, how would you describe something serious like having your credit card swiped/copied and PIN stolen, or being physically/verbally abused by an employee? Come down from your high horse there, and get real for a minute. I said this was bad behavior by the employee, but it's not like it's the end of the world. Anyone mortified/embarrassed by this behavior needs to take stock of what actually happened, and yes, get over it.

A complaint to the manager, at the time of this incident, would have been the correct course of action. A complaint now may or may not be taken seriously. Suggestions to involve a solicitor, or anything like that, are just way over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I think you're over stretching the mark there, by more than a little. If this is your idea of horrific, how would you describe something serious like having your credit card swiped/copied and PIN stolen, or being physically/verbally abused by an employee? Come down from your high horse there, and get real for a minute. I said this was bad behavior by the employee, but it's not like it's the end of the world. Anyone mortified/embarrassed by this behavior needs to take stock of what actually happened, and yes, get over it.

A complaint to the manager, at the time of this incident, would have been the correct course of action. A complaint now may or may not be taken seriously. Suggestions to involve a solicitor, or anything like that, are just way over the top.

Firstly I never suggested that the OP contact a solicitor.

Secondly, it is horrific customer service and to be honest, I don't think there should be 'tiers' of bad customer service. If the service delivery fails (like it did in this instance) there should be an examination of why that happened and measures taken to rectify it. It's not the responsibility of the customer to 'get over it' - tbh the customer can choose to go to another store in future (which i would imagine the OP's girlfriend will do) which means that the store has lost a customer - bad news for any retailer.

And anyone suggesting that people just 'get over' a bad customer service encounter has absolutely no idea of how services actually work. A manager should be delighted that the customer has taken the time to actually feedback their concerns about the service encounter, that he/she has the opportunity to retain that customer's business, and that that particular service failure never occurs again.

Firstly I never suggested that the OP contact a solicitor.

I never said you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Speak to the manager. Don't go down the legal route, it's nothing in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I don't really see the issue here.

Woman accuses OP's girlfriend of taking her card.

Employee ensures that the OP's girlfriend is the owner of the card by asking for ID. The employee then proves that the card is not the other customer's by showing her the card and then hands the card back to the OP's girlfriend.

Now, the way I see it the only person who should be apologising here is the customer that accused the OP's girlfriend of taking her card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It was poor customer service. Write a letter of complaint to the store manage and to head office.

But to be honest, it wasn't anything more. Your girlfriend had the misfortune of dealing with a dim and below-par employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dudara wrote: »
    It was poor customer service. Write a letter of complaint to the store manage and to head office.

But to be honest, it wasn't anything more. Your girlfriend had the misfortune of dealing with a dim and below-par employee.

It was a little bit more than poor service: it was quite inappropriate of the shop assistant to hand the card to the other woman.

The description of the event comes via two people, the OP and his girlfriend, both of whom were upset. So, with due caution, I suggest that the shop assistant might also have erred in behaving as if the accusation had some good foundation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Secondly, it is horrific customer service and to be honest, I don't think there should be 'tiers' of bad customer service. .

Thing is there is :)
    There's exceptional, excellent, good, average, poor, bad, etc levels of customer services.

Saying all customer service is horrific is as pointless as saying every bit of food you ever eat is the most fantastic bit of food ever! Clearly it isn't all the most fantastic food ever so saying so is pointless and the worlds loose all meaning.

If you say all customer service that is anyway not excellent is horrific then the word just looses all meaning :D

Since your using the word horrific in this instance what word would you use if the sales rep took the persons wallet called the gardai, held the customer until the gardai arrived and then also overcharged the customer after the gardai left....would that also be equally as horrific? ;)

(ok events above likely would not happy but just imagine :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

Too true. With the amount of people looking for work companies have no excuse for hiring and keeping employees who do not provide the very best service .
    Actually they do. It's called the Unfair Dismissals Act 1977 to 2007. Rightly or wrongly, it's very hard to just fire somebody especially once they're in the company a year. Bad customer service, dealing with a situation in a bad way, or not providing the "very best service" is never going to stand up in the Employment Appeals Tribunal as a reason for fair dismissal.

Having said that, I think the situation was ridiculous. Not because of the op's gf, but because of the employee and the quite possibly paranoid other customer. Op, here's my advice. Go into the store, ask to speak to the checkout manager and politely explain the situation. Don't expect to get anything from them in terms of compensation, but just let management know so hopefully they will work on training staff better. Out of curiosity, what shop was it?

Advertisement