Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Tipperary General Hospital.

Options
  • 11-03-2010 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

The Save Our Hospital campaign have opened an office on the corner of O'Connell Street/Mary Street,where a petition will be available,plus other information on the campaign.A public march will be held in Clonmel on March 27.A Facebook petition has started as well....I suppose it remains to be seen if people power will make any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I hope to be joining the march on the 27th,people should make the effort to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Theres also a petition book in the Town Hall, actually theres a few on shop counters around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

I am definitely going to go to the march. We can't let them shut down the hospital. Crazy stuff.

sparkydee wrote: »
    I am definitely going to go to the march. We can't let them shut down the hospital. Crazy stuff.
    Would I be right in saying if they took away the maternity wards from the Hospital there would be no more Tipp babies:eek:I think the Maternity wards are gone from Nenagh aren't they ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭smlballjunkie

Save your feet..the decision has already been taken, and if Hernia Harney cant get her substantial butt back from New Zealand to deal with the crisis in Tallaght, I cant see a small rural Hospital like Clonmel making any difference to the powers to be..Dont get me wrong now, I have had reason to need Sth Tipp or St.Joes as I always knew it, but they are determined to cut costs and that is all there is about it,never mind if it costs lives, didnt they do the same in the Monaghan/Cavan area and it did cost lives and they still continued with their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clonmelinfo

Whether the decision has ben made or not we will still march, we cannot just do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Save your feet..the decision has already been taken, and if Hernia Harney cant get her substantial butt back from New Zealand to deal with the crisis in Tallaght, I cant see a small rural Hospital like Clonmel making any difference to the powers to be..Dont get me wrong now, I have had reason to need Sth Tipp or St.Joes as I always knew it, but they are determined to cut costs and that is all there is about it,never mind if it costs lives, didnt they do the same in the Monaghan/Cavan area and it did cost lives and they still continued with their plans.

You may be right,but if everyone thinks that way,there will be a poor turnout.Remember they said the Army barracks was deffo to be closed,that it was on some list.Let those we elected take the thumb out.All I hear from our guys in the Dáil is lip service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

absolutely - it's important that every person in the South Tipperary area lend their support to this!! and not only march but lobby/harass our so called public representatives.

Speaking of them! I watched the Dail proceedings yesterday on the interweb for a while and it appears to me like it's just a big game to them with the verbal jousting and banter and sniggering between all the parties - all very convivial huh? with the rest of the country is on it's knees!!!! shameful it is......

:mad::(

Protest March is on today leaving the hospital at 1500 hrs to the Main Guard.

Be there!!! cant do any harm - might do some good! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalmation 1

a2-18.jpg

a5-15.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 unaetoile

Congrats to the organisers - and all the people in clonmel and its surrounding areas - well over 10k of you have made our voice heard - save South Tipp Hospital. The two-tier (private-public) combined with Supermarket hospitals being set up today is not delivering what the people want nor what they need. This current government does not care about the people of Ireland (only the elite - and primarily only if you live in Dublin). It's time for change - time for a new socio-economic policy that puts the community & real people at the heart...you have my vote and my voice! I would call on other communities that have hospitals in your area - get behind this movement (because if the Minister succeeds - then it is only a matter of time for others to follow).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 unaetoile

Question for Minister of Health - how much is a life worth to you? Closing this hospital's services will cost lives.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Great to see so many folk turning out today. A clear and strong message sent to that yoke Mary Harney.. I fear however the decision is made and all the protests in the world won't do any good. Scandalous to leave such a population without acute hospital services. No more babies born in Clonmel. Not to mention the economic loss. Dark times indeed. Some good photos above.

What a massive turnout for the march,I was glad to be part of it and I really hope it can make a differance with the powers that be.Well done to the organisers you done a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

Yeah it was a great turnout and I thought there was a lovely atmosphere at it. It really brought the town and county together. I hope that this will make a difference. On a more flippant note I do hope Eoin Kelly gets to make a speech there in september:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Great to see the amount of people that came out to march....We can only hope that it will make some difference..If they go ahead with what they plan,I can only use a phrase that was used in Irish politics before..." A Thundering Disgrace "...Great pics by Dalmation1.

hey well done on the photographs i didn't bother climbing up that ladder :)
    heres photographs of the guest spaekers on the day
    SOS.jpg

Thanks Fionn,

Thought i may aswell chance climbing up there, pity the Main Guard was closed, would have made a great vantage point. Thats a nice collection of pics aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I only recongize only 3 of the faces above... Eoin Kelly, Aidan O Brien and Peter Murchen the surgeon.. Who are the rest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Maybe it has been done and i have not noticed, but can someone that knows about these things put an online petition on the facebook page and get people to sign it. There was one on the facebook page for the 24 hour helicopter base at Waterford regional airport. In a short space of time there was a few thousand names on it. Maybe if there was on it, a copy of it could be forwarded to Brian Cowan's Office and to Mary Harney's. I dont know what Mary Harney's office is like but i do know having got onto Brian Cowans office they will respond to you.

I would also urge people not to make it a South Tipp thing. Get the Councillors and TD's in West Waterford and North Cork involved as well. They have people from their areas who would regard South Tipp General Hospital as their local hospital as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clonmelinfo

I asked the "Action Group" did they want an online petition done but they said they were okay, all I had to do was press a button and it would have been live.

And I agree totally it is not just a south tipp issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I only recongize only 3 of the faces above... Eoin Kelly, Aidan O Brien and Peter Murchen the surgeon.. Who are the rest?

Guy on the bottom left is Dr O' Regan. (sp)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I asked the "Action Group" did they want an online petition done but they said they were okay, all I had to do was press a button and it would have been live.

And I agree totally it is not just a south tipp issue.

A bit of a mistake i think. There is many people from Clonmel and the surrounding areas that cannot get to Clonmel or outlying areas where petitions are available to sign them. Most of these would however would have access to the internet.

I think they have a Facebook thing going for a petition! although i don't know if online petitions have any value or paper ones for that matter!!!
    in the photographs - yes Dr. Paud O'Regan, Alice Leahy (Person of the Year Award winner and Founder of TRUST), Dr Caitriona Crowe (South Tipp General Hosp), Barry O’Brien (County Chairman Tipperary GAA)
    Great turn out - I hope the politicians are taking note next election is coming!!!!!
    :)

Advertisement