Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sufism

• 11-03-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering, is there a community of Sufis in Ireland? If there are, what is the relationship between them and the rest of the Islamic community in Ireland?
    On a personal level, are they even considered to be properly Muslim? I've heard there are some, admittedly extremists I think, who categorise them outside of Islam completely? How can that be?
    Just curious. They were the first branch of Islam I ever came across, albeit in series of books, when I was a child and I've always been left with an abiding curiosity about the branch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Nevore wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, is there a community of Sufis in Ireland? If there are, what is the relationship between them and the rest of the Islamic community in Ireland?

On a personal level, are they even considered to be properly Muslim? I've heard there are some, admittedly extremists I think, who categorise them outside of Islam completely? How can that be?
    Just curious. They were the first branch of Islam I ever came across, albeit in series of books, when I was a child and I've always been left with an abiding curiosity about the branch.

Hi Nevore,

My understanding is that they are considered Muslims as they believe in one god- Allah and the Prophet Muhammad as a messenger from Allah. They do everything that Sunni or Shia Muslims do, such as praying 5 times a day, going on Hajj, etc. However in addition to that they do certain things which were not practiced by Prophet Muhammad (SAW). They inherited these practices from the time before Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and are influenced by Christianity and Hinduism. Mainstream Muslims consider this bid-ah (innovation) which is a sin in Islam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sufism, is a bit strange in that it isn't technically a sect, as there can be Shia and Sunni Sufis. A lot of the practices are about getting closer to God, and this is done in various ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Are there any in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yes, there should be, but I don't any active practioner's.

My family is from Kashmiri, and we would come from a Sufi tradition, as well as being Sunni's of the Hanafi school of taught, but none really actively practice Sufism. My Great Grand Father, would have actively practiced back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

There's a crowd used to practise in Talbot St.
    You can find info on them if you ask in the Medina cafe on Mary St. (end of Henry St going towards Capel St on the right)
    As far as I know there are many different Sufi sects and some of the practises are very divergent and I could'nt really tell you much about these guys.
    I really enjoyed this book (and it's follow up, on the subject)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I met one in UCD a while back, so yes there are some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭MuhammadUmar

Assalamu alaikum

Peace be with u all.

I am a Sunni Sufi Muslim living in Dublin.

I have delivered 111 lectures on different aspects of Sufism which are being broad casted by an Islamic TV Channel called UMMAH TV on Sky channel 828.

PM me if u wish to contact me.

I am sorry I am not much online so would not be able to post a lot but just very quickly

Sufism is real essence of Islam. Islam as a religion is divided in three things according to an authentic Hadith ( Hadith Jibrail > Narrated by Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim in chapter on Ehsaan)

1. Beliefs
    2. Practices and Rituals
    3. Spiritual Excellence

Beliefs is called Aqeedah in Arabic . It deals with the faith of Muslims.What do Muslims believe in for example Oneness of God and Messengership of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Practices and Rituals are called Ibadaat in Arabic. Muslims have to pray 5 times a day, fast in Ramadan, pay charity etc.

Spiritual Excellence is Ehsaan in Arabic. This is the science which deals with self purification and ones behaviour with the Creator and the Creation. This is Sufism infact.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Thank you very much! I'll take a look at the lectures on Sky and will definitely contact you with any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Hi how did you get on in your search for Sufism ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fortjames

Those who consider Sufism a Biddah, better correct themselves Or at least try and understand it. Sufism is a way to open your heart and promote inner peace inside you. Sufi practice meditation, our prophet used to go to Hira Cave even before Islam was descended upon him.

There was a group of Sahaba who were getting constant lectures from Holy Prophet called 'Suffa' Sufi is derived from the word Suffa.

It is very hard to find a true Sufi but believe you me it is the right path. Sufi says that when you stand for pray not only you have to put your body towards Makkah but your SOUL as well and then you have said your prayers properly. I am only trying to find more about it these days but wow, what a inner peace I get from meditation. Further, to correct you as well those call it a biddah, Sufi promote the love with God. God is the ultimate help, power so only rely on his resources. Hope that clarifies.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8 Creator12

Sufis are more rational than orthodox Muslims.

To be or not to be Is not my dilemma. To break away from both worlds is not bravery. To be unaware of the wonders That exist in me, That Is real madness!

- Rumi

love-pullquote.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ziker ireland

Peace be upon you all!

Sufi's and Sufism has become a word associated in describing the inner spiritual life of Orthodox Muslims. A guide or master, and his/her khalifs (deputies) follow the ways of 'tariqat' or a path, to help you discover your own Truth and reality and inner universe, and ultimately the Oneness and Unity of everything and Love in all things. It's a vast ocean.

The deeper a Sufi delves into his/her practices, the more "Orthodox" they become in arriving at self realisation and Love.

We hold a regular ziker (Rememberance) recitation in Cork and associate regularly.

Welcome to you - the door is open from the East to the West.

Salaams and Love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭donaghs

Hi Nevore,

My understanding is that they are considered Muslims as they believe in one god- Allah and the Prophet Muhammad as a messenger from Allah. They do everything that Sunni or Shia Muslims do, such as praying 5 times a day, going on Hajj, etc.

However in addition to that they do certain things which were not practiced by Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
    Isn't this last statement debatable? Statements like this are used as excuses to persecute minorities within Islam.
    They inherited these practices from the time before Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and are influenced by Christianity and Hinduism. Mainstream Muslims consider this bid-ah (innovation) which is a sin in Islam.

In the context of religious persecution, you might want to provide some proof and example. Other scholarship has shown Christian, Jewish and Pagan origins to "mainstream" Islam too - e.g. the Orthodox Christianity's beards for men and veils for women. Equally, "mainstream" Islam could be said to enforce views which were not practiced by Muhammad - e.g. using Hadiths, or the "guidance" of Islamic jurisprudence and appointed experts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/egypt-sufi-muslims_n_5372577.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ziker ireland

The old bid’aa chestnut again … a word so often misused by the Salafi/Wahabi sects and extremists amongst them, whose power base is modern day Saudi Arabia …..

The word has its root in the Holy Qur’an “Bringer into being (badee') of the heavens and earth. . . ." - Surah Baqara

To bring into being, to innovate, to start something new, and so forth, and in the light of Holy Shari’a, or Islamic Jurisprudence, falls into two classes:

A good innovation - bid’aa hasanat can be any innovation not mentioned in the Qur’an or practice - sunnah, of the Prophet Muhammad s.a. and the Companions r.a. and words - hadith, such as the punctuation tashqeel in the Holy Qur’an, the names or Surah’s and arrangement of the Holy Qur’an, minarets on mosques, fixing of prayer times, soap, cars, aeroplanes, mobile phones, trains, and so much more.

A bad innovation - bid’aa sayiah which is something that directly opposes the Holy Qur’an and ways of the Prophet Muhammad s.a. and his Companions r.a. such as the taking of the law into your own hands to murder someone in the name of Islam, to declare someone as non-Muslim, to make perfectly allowable (halal) the blood of another Muslim, rape, forced marriage, removal of women’s rights, unjust punishment and execution without trial, failure to protect the rights and property of Jews and Christians - the ahle kitaab, and so much more.

The greatest perpetrators of these shocking and horrific acts of bid’aa sayiah hit the headlines regularly and sensationally and most recently in Paris and the Middle East. It makes you wonder what book they are reading from and question what religion and who are they following.

The same wahabi/salafi sects and extremists are the first to point the finger of blame and attack Orthodox Muslims who by following and trying to fulfil the direct and precise Qur’anic injunction and Prophetic ways of making Divine Remembrance often and regularly, ziker, and send many Benedictions, salawat, and Peace with Blessings, salaams, upon all Prophets and Saints, regularly and often, labelling them as a ‘sect’ and accusing them of bid’aa despite such acts of great spirituality and love and beauty being undertaken and established as a tradition by Orthodox Muslims for the past fourteen hundred years.

Many salaams from an Irish Muslim convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 drfzmalik

Brother have you found any sufism followers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 os88

Hi Everyone, I've just relocated to Ireland recently. I am on a suffi path, and I would be very happy to meet more people on the path here in Ireland. I would also be very glad to have any conversations with anyone or answer questions on the topic as far as i can.

Peace on all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 22username22

Really interested in the Sufism. Anyone with the knowledge on where to begin please pm me.

Dears I have come across groups following 2 different Sufi orders in Dublin, please let me know if you are a follower and would like to participate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 sister_shama

I would be interested in finding out more about Sufism. If there is anything in Cork, Limerick, or Dublin. I think that "true" Sufis are probably a lot more thorough in their practice than I could be, but a lot of it interests me.

Hi Sister Shama, like i said it would be my pleasure to answer your or anyone elses questions as much as I can.

Please note that Sufism is a spiritual path and like any journey you have to start somehow even with a few small steps, eventually you find your way to walking and one day you wake up and find yourself in a place you have never imagined. Once you start things around you change for you, everything is connected and changes in the state of the heart reflect onto everything around you. The paths aim is to clean your heart through practice and to kill the egos, which in turn reveals truth hidden behind each one. The goal is to awaken within your life and to access higher realms of existence. The path gives you the tools to start, and the tools will grow with you as you do as well.

please check your inbox.

I would be interested in finding out more about Sufism. If there is anything in Cork, Limerick, or Dublin. I think that "true" Sufis are probably a lot more thorough in their practice than I could be, but a lot of it interests me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement