Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMR 446 radios - Lidl

Options
  • 12-03-2010 12:19am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just to let people know, Lidl have PMR 446 radios with chargers, headsets and batteries at €29.99 a pair from Thursday 18th. They also have VOX which would be useful.

Sounds like a good deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have the older ones that came without charger or headsets* a few years ago. Just as good as €100 ones. The vox works fine.

(*Designed for headset and charger, looks similar to current model).

They may be modifiable to 430.. 440MHz, some are.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

I bought them and I have to say I'm fairly impressed.
    Good audio, VOX, CTCSS and DCS (programming them is a doddle), I have not tested range or anything else yet but for €30 they are not bad at all

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Bought a set myself, also impressed. The audio is surprisingly good compared to other similar radios I've used. Haven't tried the VOX yet. Having the charging base sold them for me, no messing about with removing batteries and charging them seperately - but standard AAA cells so you can use normal batteries if needed.

Still loads left in two stores I was in yesterday, so I'd say they'll be available for a few days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The range will be similar to any other PMR446.

You only get the claimed kind of ranges outdoor in the countryside. Any PMR446 that claims much more (i.e. x2) is lying or illegally using x4 power.

-- Read progress on the Handheld Cat Controller/DTMF/speaker-Mic http://www.techtir.ie/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3375 --

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

I got a set and the Audio was terrible on one of them looks like it was slightly off Freq. brought them back and replaced them. new set sound good range is not so hot but I guess thats to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

i got them too.. we used them in the cars but they didnt work well at all. we could hear each other for about 100m and then went inaudible. took them back. so much for 8km range. was expecting maybe a mile like cb usually is around towns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

i got them too.. we used them in the cars but they didnt work well at all. we could hear each other for about 100m and then went inaudible. took them back. so much for 8km range. was expecting maybe a mile like cb usually is around towns

You must have heavy interference ... you should get about a mile from these, I've a family coming in strong upto about 1.7miles using these PMRs.

But the worst performance is from inside a car and range would be only about 1/2 mile.

A hint as to how poor your area is, is contained in this
    a mile like cb usually is around towns
    ~ CB should easily get 5~12 miles and up to about 40 miles not counting their DX abilities.

Advertisement