Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beating the Computer

Options
  • 12-03-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Is it even possible to consistently beat the computer on the highest difficulty level in games like SFIV without using some kind of cheap exploit? Can any of you hold your own against high level computer characters? It seems that they just read your inputs and react faster than any normal human could. They're fast but dumb, and as a result it's impossible to try and mislead them, because they don't even try and predict your moves, they just react to them. The experience I've gained fighting human players doesn't seem to help much against the cpu.

So yeah, I'm basically just wondering if I'm the only one who get his ass kicked repeatedly on hardest :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Seeing as how even on hardest the computer likes to eat Hadoukens, if your getting beaten, i'd say you fail....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Play nice with the new guys Xinkai.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1. Pick Zangief.
    2. SPIN-N-WIN ALL DAY, BABY.

tl;dr I play VS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It is possible to consistently beat the hardest computer but you can't play like it like you do against a human. As you said the hardest computer has inhuman reflexes and will punish you every time you make any error. You just gotta watch out for the computers patterns and the moves that it cannot deal with and then abuse them.

On a sidenote I find that fighting the computer is good practise for hitting links, as the negative re-enforcement of getting hit by an ultra every time you miss a link is top drawer.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

FACT: Computers will get hit by ultra if you do it just after you wake up, EVERYTIME. Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I haven't really established a pattern yet. It's weird. On the highest difficulty, I can murder the first two guys, get stuck on the third one (usually Rufus or Viper but not always) and spend about ten continues trying to pass them, then blast through everybody else, including Seth, without losing a round.

Edit: Wait, that is a pattern. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Honestly, this comes down to figuring out the AI's pattern and finding something that'll beat it down every time. But here's the thing...why bother?

This has never been what fighting games are about. If you get something out of it, fair play, but I'd wager you'd get a lot more satisfaction out of figuring out a person's play than a CPU routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Xinkai wrote: »
    Seeing as how even on hardest the computer likes to eat Hadoukens, if your getting beaten, i'd say you fail....

implied-facepalmzoom.jpg

@ OP

Playing the AI is like playing chess against yourself. Kills the whole point of the game. However considering in SF4 we have to unlock crap well... yeah

To answer your question though op as people have said already , theres usually some pattern you figure out that kills the ai. You just have to stick to it yourself.

You should try super SF2 turbo, the arcade version. The ai in that is off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

What happens if you still lose against the very easy ai occasionally?

If you keep constantly losing to the easy AI , eventually Akuma will call around to your house and start trying to chat up your mam, eventually light punch - light punch - forward - light kick - hard punching some pussy if you catch my drift.

But honestly? Nothing happens. Just play online or head to a meet up, you'll learn the game much faster.

• Advertisement

Surprising you should say that as my mam plays Akuma, mostly Sagat but she likes his hair.

Seriously I would like to learn how to play the game properly, when is the next meet up?

Usually casual meet ups every Saturday in Dublin.

Also in the mean time if you have anything you'd like to know about the game general advice etc ask away, feel free to make your own thread. Everyone on here is very eager to help us all improve our game.

From basic stuff to very advanced stuff , any and all questions welcome.

I would be, I think, at the basic end of things, have played Fighters for years, but never against a human opp, always stuck at playing the computer. Even have a very basic fightstick! I might come along to one of these meetups on a Sat to get my ass handed to me but learn, where in Dublin are they?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

You should definitely go to meet ups man, you'll learn a lot. I assume they'll be having one in the XGC (Xtreme Gaming Centre) in Dublin this Saturday at around 1/2ish.

More info about the place here, cause I don't know what that street is called, and I've my own meet ups to be runnin':P

Know the place alright, might venture in with my stick on Saturday so, cheers for the advice, I'll be kicking Diagos ass in no time sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Yeah you should definitely come to a meet up sometime, not only is it a great learning experience but we're all sound (just stay away from someone called Terry, he uses top tier :pac:)

If you want to have fun, get into the game more and meet new people then definitely attend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

The way I always fight the cpu,in any fighting game,once it cranks up the difficulty is just to be conservative. Don't rush in trying to do a big combo. Play defensively and when the cpu leaves an opening,i.e. Sagat missing a tiger uppercut,then attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

God I miss Virtua Fighter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

jonnybadd wrote: »
    Surprising you should say that as my mam plays Akuma, mostly Sagat but she likes his hair.

Seriously I would like to learn how to play the game properly, when is the next meet up?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64880576#post64880576

Aren't I the best mod EVAR? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Viper's MP/LP Thunder Knuckle ALL DAY. Why do they keep on focusing :)

Advertisement