Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores & Plastic Bags

Options
  • 12-03-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Dunnes Stores are no longer providing white plastic shopping bags. So beware !! it will cost you at least 70c per bag:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I demand a podcast to discuss this outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 yodge

sarcasim is the last refuge of the uneducated.

the point is the whole scheme is dead if dunnes withdraw.

"It's about the economy stupid" !

Dunnes are having a legal battle with revenue about the 36 million Euro it has collected from me and other customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Moved to Consumer Issues from Boardscasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

i thought it was just our local dunnes that stopped doing the bags oviously not so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The Dunnes beige plastic bag is 70c???

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/12/DunnesLifeBag.jpg/300px-DunnesLifeBag.jpg

The ones in Centra and Tesco are 42c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

yodge wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores are no longer providing white plastic shopping bags. So beware !! it will cost you at least 70c per bag:D

They have an argument with revenue over the bag tax..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Shopping yesterday and I was given a white plastic one first but I wanted a reuseable one. Maybe the made a mistake in giving it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was thinking that. I'm terrible, I buy a plastic bag every time I go to the shop, I really must start bringing my own

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Dunnes are dead right.White plastic bags is racist yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Probably cutbacks. Yep, the beige one doubled, was 35cent now 70. If anyone's noticed, the paper bags are now ridiculously bad. I HATE them, you have to open out the handles because they're folded inside now and the serrated edges of the bag are lethal. Anywhere they can make cutbacks, they will. My store has stopped doing deliveries.

If it's any consolation, almost all staff have ****e hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fridgeraider

What galls me is that if you don't want to buy one of those beige bags, they won't let you have a paper one :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Odd, i was just in Dunnes a few hours ago and the woman in front of me got a white plastic bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

There're probably getting rid of any they have left over, tis fe*kin ridiculous, none of the supermarkets I go into offer paper bags. what if youre a little ol granny going in a some milk and bread and tea and maybe an iced bun and it comes to 4.50 and she can only afford the ol white bags???? tis a disgrace

You know the gov's answer is to tax paper bags, It won't be long.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What galls me is that if you don't want to buy one of those beige bags, they won't let you have a paper one :mad:

That's because they are drapery bags and really not designed for groceries. They will inevitably tear and spill their contents all over the floor. I've seen it happen enough times with people putting boxes and such in them and the corners ripping the bags. Not just Dunnes paper bags, but bags from other shops when they decide to put their shopping in them too. Not sure they would hold much weight in the rain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Redpunto wrote: »
    There're probably getting rid of any they have left over, tis fe*kin ridiculous, none of the supermarkets I go into offer paper bags. what if youre a little ol granny going in a some milk and bread and tea and maybe an iced bun and it comes to 4.50 and she can only afford the ol white bags???? tis a disgrace

Little old grannies would have the cop on to have a bag with them, and they wouldn't be likely to buy even the plastic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fridgeraider

Well I think customers - yes those people who keep Dunnes Stores going by going into their shops and buying their groceries - should give customers a choice. Yes, those paper bags from the drapery are rubbish but why not have heavier ones. Some smaller shops do give them out to customers. It's not as if the 22c plastic bags were wonderful either (could the plastic be any thinner?) but they were grand if you were only getting a few things.

Sure, in an ideal world we would all have our reusable plastic bags on us at all times and not have to resort to buying the 22c bags. I think it's fair to say that most people who buy the bags do so because they've either ended up buying more things than they'd planned in Dunnes or because they forgot their reusable bags for whatever reason. Of course, the concept of customer care is alien to Dunnes anyway :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They won't give you the paper bags because they don't have them- they've barely enough to keep the drapery tills restocked and it'd be a pain in the arse to keep all the checkouts in them too. They're also crap, they'd struggle to hold a box of eggs and a newspaper so there's really no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Well I think customers - yes those people who keep Dunnes Stores going by going into their shops and buying their groceries - should give customers a choice. Yes, those paper bags from the drapery are rubbish but why not have heavier ones. Some smaller shops do give them out to customers. It's not as if the 22c plastic bags were wonderful either (could the plastic be any thinner?) but they were grand if you were only getting a few things.

Sure, in an ideal world we would all have our reusable plastic bags on us at all times and not have to resort to buying the 22c bags. I think it's fair to say that most people who buy the bags do so because they've either ended up buying more things than they'd planned in Dunnes or because they forgot their reusable bags for whatever reason. Of course, the concept of customer care is alien to Dunnes anyway :mad:

Don't the bags cost 44c now.

I don't see why Dunnes should give bags from the drapery department to the grocery department. They are different departments with separate budgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Redpunto wrote: »

The picture you endearingly painted (well, at least I hope it wasn't condescension) there wouldn't have been complete without the mention of an iced bun. And the 'maybe' an iced bun, as in this particular day I'll have a treat. Awh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

I think we should all protest this outrageous extorsion.

It was bad enough when the bag was 22cent, this 70cent bag really takes the biscuit.

You know it would only take a few people to stand up to this.

People should pick up trolley loads of goods go to the tills and after the goods are scanned request plastic bags. If they try charge for bags just say no and walk out leaving the trolley load behind.

It immediately cost Dunnes thousands in man-hours sorting the goods out and repacking the items back on shelves, not to mention the time wasted scanning the items through...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Andy454 wrote: »

It was bad enough when the bag was 22cent, this 70cent bag really takes the biscuit.

You know it would only take a few people to stand up to this.

People should pick up trolley loads of goods go to the tills and after the goods are scanned request plastic bags. If they try charge for bags just say no and walk out leaving the trolley load behind.

It immediately cost Dunnes thousands in man-hours sorting the goods out and repacking the items back on shelves, not to mention the time wasted scanning the items through...

Or you could be really clever and think to yourself "Hmm, I'm going shopping, I wonder what I will carry the shopping home in?". And bring your own bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Andy454 wrote: »

The 70 cent bag is bigger than the 22 cent bag and is properly reusable. I can't figure out why people want to keep getting 22 cent bags when it costs a hell of a lot more in the long run.

I only every offer a man a plastic bag as they are the only ones who buy them, no matter how little they are buying.

A few cans, a pack of cigs, big bag of crisps and your plastic bag and you have given the gov a €10 in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Bringing your own bags is the answer to this. I always keep a supply of bags in the boot of my car so even if I have to do some unscheduled shopping I don't have to pay an extortionate charge for a bag. Aldi do great cloth bags for only 50c. They hold loads and you can easily stuff one into your pocket/handbag so you're never stuck.

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 1 annie val

indunnes today and for th first time in a yea had to buy a bag
    was shocked to find it was 70c i asked why the jump frm 39c to nearly double an was told there i no govt help
    its a disgrace lidl 39c tesco , aldi and supvalu the same or asnear to superquinn the once most expensivestore rolls i at 50c a good 20c cheaper
    i know where i wont be shoppin anymore :confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had to lock the last thread on this issue and I am locking this one also as a precautionary measure.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement