Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Import Duty on buying a second hand camera from America?

• 12-03-2010 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

I've been on the search for a second hand Canon G10 now for a while and there are very few coming available in Ireland and most sellers in the UK won't ship to Ireland. There's quite a few listed on eBay in America...

What is the story with importing second hand cameras from the US - can customs try get some additional money from you or is that only for new items?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It's exactly the same, you're liable for VAT and duty. Customs and revenue don't care that it's second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

That's what I was afraid of. So would it be based on the value of the item as if it was new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

21% ..... on anything outside europe ! (some items get through without getting charged)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

foto joe wrote: »
    That's what I was afraid of. So would it be based on the value of the item as if it was new?

declared value of the item + cost of shipping !!!

OK, not worth it so! :(

If anyone is selling a G10 let me know! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I think Conns have a second hand G10, they had a G9 the last time I was in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I work in the UK and will be living in Clontarf after next weekend.

If you want to buy from a UK vendor, get it shipped to my UK office and collect it off me the weekend it arrives I'd be more than happy to help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've found that many UK sellers will ship to Eire if you contact them, despite stating in their adds that they'll only ship to the UK.

trishw78 wrote: »
    I think Conns have a second hand G10, they had a G9 the last time I was in there.

Ah just checked online and they do, buy €400 is too much for a second hand G10. Also I'm rarely in Dublin.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    I work in the UK and will be living in Clontarf after next weekend.

If you want to buy from a UK vendor, get it shipped to my UK office and collect it off me the weekend it arrives I'd be more than happy to help?

Thanks for the offer but I'm rarely in Dublin so that'd make that awkward.
    Nforce wrote: »
    I've found that many UK sellers will ship to Eire if you contact them, despite stating in their adds that they'll only ship to the UK.

Yeah I've been trying that but many are saying no, which surprises me, I can't see why not!! I'm willing to pay the extra postage so they should be happy to have an extra bidder!

Have you tried ebay.de? There are a few G10's on that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

You could try www.fotoSkoda.cz.. they'll probably get one for you if you don't have it.. and since they're in the Czech Republic... they're in the Eurozone. (and it's one feckin' HUGE store!)
    Nforce wrote: »
    Have you tried ebay.de? There are a few G10's on that. :)

Just noticed this on Ebay

Edit: Just noticed that they're now sold out....there were 18 for sale when I posted this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

There's a Canon S90 for sale on adverts at the moment - same as the G10/g11 but in a smaller package, and you get two direct dial ocntrol rings instead of one. The S90 gets great reviews everywhere, I was thinking of selling my Lumix LX3 and buying one but decided against it.

Here's the ad on adverts - http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=198557&cat=197

• Registered Users Posts: 38 notspav

I've bought 2 cameras second hand from the States - an expensive DSLR and relatively inexpensive film camera.

Managed to escape customs both times, as the sellers marked the package as a gift, and put a low value on the declaration forms. The downside to doing this is that you have little to no protection should the package disappear.

The DSLR cost around a grand and it took 3 very anxious weeks to arrive. It's a risk, but fortunately one that has paid off for me.

On the other hand, I bought a spare batter from a Hong Kong eBay seller - got stung for customs, then when it arrived it didn't fit my camera. Sold it on at a fairly big loss rather than go through the hassle / cost of sending it back.

Advertisement