Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CIA bad mmkay

• 12-03-2010 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/cia-used-lsd-to-make-french-lose-the-loaf-2095194.html

CIA implicated in mind control experiments

IN 1951, a quiet, picturesque village in southern France was suddenly and mysteriously struck down with mass insanity and hallucinations. At least five people died, dozens were committed to asylums and hundreds afflicted.

For decades it was assumed that the local bread had been unwittingly poisoned with a psychedelic mould. Now an even more extraordinary explanation has emerged, with evidence suggesting the CIA peppered local food with the hallucinogenic drug LSD as part of a mind-control experiment at the height of the Cold War.

The mystery of Le Pain Maudit (The Cursed Bread) still haunts Pont-Saint-Esprit, in the Gard, south-east France. On August 16, 1951, the inhabitants suddenly suffered frightful hallucinations of terrifying beasts and fire.

One man tried to drown himself, screaming that his belly was being eaten by snakes. An 11-year-old tried to strangle his grandmother.

Another man shouted "I am a plane" before jumping out of a second-floor window, breaking his legs. He then got up and carried on for 50 yards.

'Time' magazine wrote: "Delirium rose: patients thrashed wildly on their beds, screaming that red flowers were blossoming from their bodies, that their heads had turned to molten lead."

Eventually, it was determined that a local baker had unwittingly contaminated his flour with ergot, a hallucinogenic mould that infects rye grain.

However, H P Albarelli Jr, an investigative journalist, claims the outbreak resulted from a covert experiment directed by the CIA and the US army's top-secret special ops division at Fort Detrick, Maryland.

Mr Albarelli came across CIA documents while investigating the suspicious suicide of Frank Olson, a biochemist working for special ops who fell from a 13th floor window two years after the Cursed Bread incident.

One of the notes describes a conversation between a CIA agent and a official with Sandoz, a pharmaceutical company that "supplied the CIA and the US army with LSD".

The official allegedly mentioned the "secret of Pont-Saint-Esprit" and explained that it was not "at all" caused by mould but by diethylamide, the D in LSD. (© Daily Telegraph, London)
    - Henry Samuel in Paris

Irish Independent

not sure its a CT exactly, more an accepted fact that the CIA have been involved in some very shady things, it worries me to think what else they actually do that we never hear about tbh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Pain d'ergot. Can see a market for just that thing, in teh Caple Street area.

cb_42_16271507_Irish_Panda.jpg

Or Mullingar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

The death of Frank Olson and the strange circumstances surrounding is covered in greater detail in the book "The men who stared at Goats".

Of course the CIA have engaged in questionable and illegal acts over the course of their 60 year history. However this does not mean we should give credence to just any theory or claim about CIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

course we should, its what this place is for is it not? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Slightly related, or maybe not. I've seen similar reasoning put foward for the Egyptian "First born dead" 1st testament business.

Not meaning to go too much off topic. I must say I did enjoy "Men who stare at goats". I've had a google search on for "First Earth Batallion" ever since.

And guess what! It's been made into a film. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_Who_Stare_at_Goats_%28film%29

men who stare at goats was enjoyable alright

im just a clooney fanboy however

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

can you elaborate on the First Born Dead thing a bit Please??

And W00t that looks like it might just be an interestin:D Movie.

As to why would they do that, seriously can you think of a better way to incapacitate an entire town??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The theory goes that in Egypt it was the tradition for the eldest son to be favoured. And being so he was given the largest share of food in the household.

Grain to make the bread was stored in silos and had become poisoned with mould or mildew or ergot or whatever. So he ate the largest share of the toxins and died. Some speculate the poision was from all the dead and rotting locusts!!!

Hence first born son dead...

The Israelites would have had a much better understanding of food hygiene and their bread would have been different as well. So they were passed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

kryogen wrote: »
    men who stare at goats was enjoyable alright

im just a clooney fanboy however

Have you caught the ghey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Di0genes wrote: »
    However this does not mean we should give credence to just any theory or claim about CIA.

Who is 'we' . Who are you referring to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

espinolman wrote: »
    Who is 'we' . Who are you referring to ?

i think that would be rhetoric. i don't think he's claiming to speak for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I never liked that about the main stream media , using generalities like that .

Like 'we' believe this and 'we' believe that in an effort to insinuate they are representing everyone , in truth they are not , they are the elites mouthpiece .

P.S. Diogenes has revealed many times on this forum that he is a journalist for the main stream media .

Have you caught the ghey

ichmgay.jpg

is far more likely old buddy!

:D

ps, wtf you doing in these parts of boards? lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Like 'we' believe this and 'we' believe that in an effort to insinuate they are representing everyone , in truth they are not , they are the elites mouthpiece .

P.S. Diogenes has revealed many times on this forum that he is a journalist for the main stream media .

I'm not sure what your objection here is.

You seem to be conflating "someone who is connected to mainstream media" to "mainstream media"....in effect suggesting that Diogenes is acting in a capacity here as some sort of representative of mainstream media.

That aside, I'm not sure what exactly your problem is. Surely you can agree that there are claims which could be made which are so ridiculous, they cannot be supported merely by the reality that the CIA have done bad things?

If you don't agree with that, then I submit that the CIA is actually run by a group of schoolkids from a classroom in Terenure. I believe this to be true because we know the CIA have done bad things in the past....and you must now agree that I have presented a reasonable argument.

If, on the other hand, you agree that I've just made a completely ridiculous claim, then you also agree with the comment Diogenes made...despite apparently taking exception to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

kryogen wrote: »

ps, wtf you doing in these parts of boards? lost?

lol:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

No it's just grammatical correct.

And I'm not a journalist. I've worked in the media, both alternative and mainstream. But hey why let reality get in the way of your point.

Advertisement