Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

luck...born lucky or returned karma

Options
  • 12-03-2010 12:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

do you believe you can be born lucky or thats its karma coming back to you

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Neither. I think people with a positive outlook take advantage of opportunities more than pessimists. Or at least if you feel positive, youll see the bright side of things where a negative person will say 'woe is me'.

I think its a very dangerous thing to 'blame' people for their own bad luck, by saying they did something wrong in this life or some other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

There is an understanding in some circles That in relation to Karma...we chose to have something happen to us in order to pay a karmic debt...This something then is a specially designed facility to help us learn a lesson in order to Grow and advance spiritually. So in reality all problems are actually blessings for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There is an understanding in some circles That in relation to Karma...we chose to have something happen to us in order to pay a karmic debt...This something then is a specially designed facility to help us learn a lesson in order to Grow and advance spiritually. So in reality all problems are actually blessings for us
    That sounds like a middle class new-agey sort of understanding of karma, one that applies to when you don't get a job, or you get a flat tire or somethin

Does it translate to sub-Saharan Africa? Are starvation and thirst really blessings?

Starvation is man-made, it comes from greed and the fact that the world bank has it like that. After working in Africa for a number of years I was always amazed at how hard the people work there and how at the end of the day the poorest of the poor ALWAYS had a big smile on their face and had gratitude for the simple things in life which we take for granted.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dave! wrote: »
    That sounds like a middle class new-agey sort of understanding of karma, one that applies to when you don't get a job, or you get a flat tire or somethin

Does it translate to sub-Saharan Africa? Are starvation and thirst really blessings?
    Well we are here to discuss new agey sort of things as well as everything else.

While I havent quite got it figured, I know this philosophy would extend to all human experience, whether that is as an octogenarian american millionaire, or a sudanese baby that lives two hours. The philosophy would be that we experience many lives, all of which teach us aspects of human experience (good and bad) and which we choose in order to develop our soul or spirit or whatever we are when were not here.

Im not saying I understand or accept all of it, but I can understand the reason people follow the belief. My only gripe would be when it becomes a thing of good and bad, reward and punishment. I would disagree with seeing it that way, I think its harmful, and a way of deciding that fate has it in for you because of something you didnt even realise you did, so you throw your hands up and quit trying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Actually I agree with Dave that it sounds like an opinion on Karma and Dharma which seems to be the low standard for those who suscribe the diluted western new age notions of reincarnatoin which is only loosely connected to the Vedic philsophy of reincarnation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation

Subscribing to class distinction is judging and labelling people on their monetary position in society, Personally for me I dont believe in class

Funny that cos class and caste system are very much part of the system of Karma and Dharma.

From your link in wikipedia

Sikhism

Sikhs believe that every creature has a Soul; on death, the Soul is passed from one body to another until Liberation. The journey of the Soul is governed by the deeds and actions that we perform during our lives. If we perform good deeds and actions and remember the Creator, we attain a better life. On the contrary, if we carry out evil actions and sinful deeds, we will be incarnated in “lower” life forms – snakes, lions, zebra, monkeys, hippopotamus etc.
    The Karmas of a person will definitely have their effect, both good and bad. No worldly power can change the course of their movement. But according to the Sikh thought, the Almighty God, with his Grace, may pardon the wrongs of a person and thus release him/her from the pangs of suffering.[22] Reincarnation, simply stated, is the law of cause and effect: reincarnation does not create any caste or differences among people: past and present life's actions simply have a bearing upon a specific individual. Reincarnation in no way makes one superior to another.

so...class is a man made ideology, To some people the idea of having more material wealth means you are of a certain class etc..This school of thought exists in Human consciousness. The judging and labelling of others by their monetary value or the clothes they where or the religion there a part of..its part of the illusion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think you're getting away from the point dermo, which is that it's easy to say problems are a blessing when you live in an affluent society and your biggest concern is the traffic on the M50.

• Advertisement

I think you're getting away from the point dermo, which is that it's easy to say problems are a blessing when you live in an affluent society and your biggest concern is the traffic on the M50.

It be better if you didn't pretend to know who I am, what life situations have led to my understanding about lifes up's and downs. I'm not going to say anything about myself simply because it's personal. I don't live in Dublin either :) What we are getting to here is a simple understanding of Karma.

What I am saying is we choose a certain life because that is the best place for us to Learn. For the Soul monetary wealth etc doesn't mean much as it only effects our physical body the garment we wear. So if choosing to be born poor is the best place for you to learn so be it. Maybe in that particular life there is a wealth of knowledge, understanding and wisdom to be gained from having no attachment to material things. However when it comes down to food and clothes yes, this is man-made an effect of the societies rules enforced upon the poor. Yet an earlier point I made was about the general happiness of people at the lower end of the money scale. This is the all important one as we have all seen the guys in their mercs who couldn't give a toss about the rest of us and never smile, have no real genuine happiness only an ambition to have power etc. Where humans go wrong is how they react to their situation in life. For sure there are a lot of wealthy people happy in their life and share that with others likewise there a lot of poor people with happiness in their life who share it with others. So the point here is Life is not about how much money you have but its about what you do for your life to share with others etc:)

Thats the thing the concept of Karma isn't simple.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Thats the thing the concept of Karma isn't simple.

Well its certainly an uncomfortable situation for many of us :D

Advertisement