Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

management nightmare - I may be going crazy

Options
  • 12-03-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a shop, recently someone left, now the place is run terribly anyway but the manager is not getting someone to replace the person that left, there are only three of us left to cover 77 hour week, the two others can only do 30 hours between them due to college, so I am left with the 47.

Now i am happy for the work (especially extra hours) , thing is manager has stated that each week hours will be different and we can only get roster two days before new week starts ( requested that we get our roster one/ two weeks before , this was shot down) . We are also not allowed pick a shift i.e. for me I can't work thursday nights because I do a two hour night course. I am not allowed select thursday night as a no shift anymore (or any other shift time)

I have complained saying its not fair that we cannot have a day where we know we are not working, and that it is unfair that 77 hours of the week we have to assume we are working because we won't know our shifts till two days before week starts which leaves no time to plan anything.

manager me told most companies only give rosters two days before coming week . Is this true? I am just so furious right now, its almost like they want to control our entire week for no apparent reason. They will not give us the same hours every week.

Do I have any rights in this regard am i being a moody worker? Please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What does your contract say?

What other jobs are there in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have no contract, I asked for one only to be told no one else has a contract and that I should be happy to have a job when I complained about the roster situation the manager "said do you want to keep your job" in other words saying stop complaining or you're fired!

Well it is just a shop job, not what I planned to do after college, but there are no jobs in the area I studied.

I'm not sure there is anything I can do, am I being unreasonable though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You're not being unreasonable, but you can't really afford to say anything without a contract.

My roster goes up on the wednesday before the week rostered- which is insane in a shop employing 200ish people. Day-off requests 3 weeks in advance, shift swaps go down as calling in sick if they're last-minute and not authorised by HR. Could you have an agreement with one of the other staff that if you're down to work Thursday evening that they'll swap and do it for you? Is there anyone besides this manager- regional/area manager that might listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

myrights wrote: »
    I work in a shop, recently someone left, now the place is run terribly anyway but the manager is not getting someone to replace the person that left, there are only three of us left to cover 77 hour week, the two others can only do 30 hours between them due to college, so I am left with the 47.

Now i am happy for the work (especially extra hours) , thing is manager has stated that each week hours will be different and we can only get roster two days before new week starts ( requested that we get our roster one/ two weeks before , this was shot down) . We are also not allowed pick a shift i.e. for me I can't work thursday nights because I do a two hour night course. I am not allowed select thursday night as a no shift anymore (or any other shift time)

I have complained saying its not fair that we cannot have a day where we know we are not working, and that it is unfair that 77 hours of the week we have to assume we are working because we won't know our shifts till two days before week starts which leaves no time to plan anything.

manager me told most companies only give rosters two days before coming week . Is this true? I am just so furious right now, its almost like they want to control our entire week for no apparent reason. They will not give us the same hours every week.

Do I have any rights in this regard am i being a moody worker? Please let me know!

you still have a contact of employment, just not a written one. they could be in breach of Terms Of Employment (Information) Acts, 1994-2001. ring citizens advice bureau.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Might be worth contacting a union seeing as there is only 3 of you. Our rota goes up 1 week in advance, like coruptmorals said, 3 weeks notice for day off, 1 weeks notice for shift swap.

What's the managers plan for somebody ringing in sick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

They are legally obliged to provide you with a contract of employment and wage slips. If they've not been giving you either, you have something over them.

Is the shop a chain or managed by a non-owner? Can you go over your managers head?

Advertisement