Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire - Kilworth

Options
  • 12-03-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

was just driving down the Cork Dublin Road - there's some savage fire roaring around Kilworth by Corbetts - it's absolutely massive (could still see it in the rear view mirror when I was heading to the toll).............anyone know what's happened???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

Gorse fire. Fermoy and Mitchelstown fire brigades out at the scene there for about 12 hours. Could see on my way home from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 miss luce

hi, we live in kilworth, and we were wondering what it was. the smoke cloud was huge!!! what is a gorse fire? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tango November.

A gorse Fire is like trees, grass, leaves, that sort off stuff .There Was one up here last week. Nenagh were out at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Was watching it for ages from our upstairs window. I'm sure it was a staged gorse fire across from the Shooting Range that went a bit out of control!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

army boys blowing things up again ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Wouldn't be suprised considering the amount of play fighting they do up there. They remind me of my Dad who just renewed his Shotgun licence even though I don't think he's fired the gun (which i reckon is older than me) in the last 10 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

This happens every year. The land around there is commonage.
    The heather and furze bushes(gorse) are set alight.
    This fire spurs on the growth of new grass for the many sheep kept up here. This is mountainy land, if there was no fire, there would not be enough grass growth for the sheep, but I doubt if anyone will admit to lighting it.

Advertisement