Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mini cooper s mpg??

• 12-03-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

hey, my girlfriend was mad for a mini cooper s for a long time. she finally bought a 03 model a few weeks ago but man is that thing heavy on juice. she is only getting about 20mpg!! thats taking it very handy and whether its long distance or town driving its the same.

that cant be right can it?? it just got serviced yesterday so hopefully it improves. does anyone think this sounds like a lot or is this normal for the cooper s?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

hunggar wrote: »
    hey, my girlfriend was mad for a mini cooper s for a long time. she finally bought a 03 model a few weeks ago but man is that thing heavy on juice. she is only getting about 20mpg!! thats taking it very handy and whether its long distance or town driving its the same.

that cant be right can it?? it just got serviced yesterday so hopefully it improves. does anyone think this sounds like a lot or is this normal for the cooper s?

It's an almost sports car, not an econobox. How is she calculating her figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

thats taking it very handy and whether its long distance or town driving its the same.

Drive it on, you don't buy a mini cooper s to take it very handy, I find my car most economical around 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I had a cooper and it was the most uncomfortable and thirsty car I EVER owned - point is yup they drink petrol like a person in the desert drinks water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

considering a Massesarati gets around 17mpg thats pretty shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

It has a quoted mpg of 33 but in reality those figures are always inflated so, driven carefully (but what's the point really) it should probably get mid to high 20's..

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=22743

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They like a sup of fuel ok. The supercharged engine isn't too economical.

Mid 20's is reasonable (or 12mpg on a track).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

with relaxed motorway driving (6th gear, 100km/h) i get about 35mpg (2004 Mini Cooper S). about town driving gets about 25mpg. enthusiastic driving drops that down to about 15-20mpg.

expensive for sure, and whether it's worth it is for you to decide. for me, totally worth it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

preilly79 wrote: »
    with relaxed motorway driving (6th gear, 100km/h)

So you're one of those feckers who does 100 kph on the motorway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Not all motorways are 120 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ryan85

that seems very low. I've an 04 Cooper S and can get it up to 39 on the motorway,30 around town and 25 if driven hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Maybe the trip computer is giving a wrong reading.

You really need to calculate usage between fills.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭hunggar

well there is no trip computer on it so cant tell what its doing on the different types of journey but it takes in or around the 45 litres to fill and gives back about 200 miles for that maybe 210 if shes lucky! so thats where i got 20 mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Redisle wrote: »
    It has a quoted mpg of 33 but in reality those figures are always inflated so, driven carefully (but what's the point really) it should probably get mid to high 20's..

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=22743

The quoted mpg tends to be pretty spot on for normal combined driving.

I would imagine that the demographic who go for a cooper s would be more likely to do more spirited driving, and do more city driving than average.
    With that in mind I wouldn't expect 33, but 27 to 30 should be achievable. Less than 25 is alarming. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out an air filter full of leaves and bugs on that service.

What distance is the daily commute? The first 3-4 miles tend to be much more thirsty.
    Are you calculating with Imperial gallons? US gallons are significantly smaller, so result in a lower figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭COB MGV8

I get 30mpg from my 1975 MGB 3.5L V8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

jeez.... thats a thirsty little beggar. I'd be getting rid of it with economy like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

746watts wrote: »
    jeez.... thats a thirsty little beggar. I'd be getting rid of it with economy like that.

why? we all dont buy cars with the aim of getting 50mpg..........
    some of us buy cars to enjoy them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

well there is no trip computer on it so cant tell what its doing on the different types of journey but it takes in or around the 45 litres to fill and gives back about 200 miles for that maybe 210 if shes lucky! so thats where i got 20 mpg.

Can you tell if the car has been modified? A lot of owners change the pulley on the supercharger to a smaller one to get it to spin faster, thereby pumping more fuel/air into the engine.

Also the car might have a boost leak between the supercharger -> intercooler -> inlet manifold. That would hurt fuel economy. Its difficult to diagnose however as you have to pressurise the pipework to find the leak.

Anything else and you'll probably need a mechanic to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

gumbo wrote: »
    why? we all dont buy cars with the aim of getting 50mpg..........
    some of us buy cars to enjoy them :D

It should be returning 40mpg, OP says its doing 20mpg, if the service doesn't improve the economy I'd be getting shot of it or put new injectors in.
    I like fast cars too, but 20mpg is a bit too thirsty for everyday driving though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Hope my upload works.

Here is a excel spreadsheet that you can use to work out MPG.

I find it quite handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

25-28 was doing well on an 02 Cooper S, usually lower than that so i'd say its fairly accurate.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I got 18/19 today. Count yourself lucky OP.

Advertisement