Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2001 Citroen Saxo 1.1 Ticking Over Badly

• 12-03-2010 2:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Problem with the son's Citroen Saxo 1.1 petrol. When the engines cold it ticks over really badly; the revs dropping back then recovering. It sometimes cuts out.

Also when you slow down & pop into neutral the revs dive before recovering.

Changed the plugs but this didn't sort it.

Any ideas?
    Cheers
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Could be the mass air flow sensor. Have you tried unplugging it to see if it's any better without it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Sounds very much like a dirty/clogged throttle body. Happened to my old Seat Ibiza a few times.

You can get a spray can of throttle body cleaner in any motor factors/halfords. In the Ibiza I would just take off the air filter box, the throttle body is the metal intake with a valve below it. With the engine running and warmed up I would spray the cleaner on and around the valve and it's pivot. Spray in short 1 or 2 second bursts, as it gets sucked in the engine will have to gulp for more air. If you can, have someone in the driver's seat as well to rev the car every now and then which will open the valve wider and let you spray around it better. I've also seen people suggest to use a small brush (toothbrush etc) to scrub it and around it, I tried that and it seemed to help but I was terrified of dropping it in :). I'd also stop the engine to give it a good long spray (it might be a little hard to start after if you spray too much). After 10 or 15 minutes of spraying in bursts and half a can or so it should be back to running much smoother.

Ideally you should take the throttle body out and give it a full cleaning, but the above is quick and simple and should be enough to resolve the issue in the short term, and if it works then you can take it out and do it fully again some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

tm2204 wrote: »
    Problem with the son's Citroen Saxo 1.1 petrol. When the engines cold it ticks over really badly; the revs dropping back then recovering. It sometimes cuts out.

Also when you slow down & pop into neutral the revs dive before recovering.

Changed the plugs but this didn't sort it.

Any ideas?
    Cheers
    :D

This problem sounds like a faulty idle control valve (mounted on the back of the throttle body), It's seems to be a common fault on these engines in their later years, they can sometimes be cleaned and will come back to life for a while, but ultimately it's better to replace it.

To Test: (works if it's electrically dead)
    You can take it out and manually adjust it by screwing in the 'servo actuated' plastic post (note original position), refit to see what the engine idles at. Screwing it in increases the rpm, out lowers rpm.

(adjust it a couple of turns at a time, then refit - all the way in and the engine will idle at about 3000rpm, all the way out and it'll fall apart :p)

You can set it to have a high idle, irrespective of engine load/temp, to get you by for a while and make the car drivable but you'll be wasting petrol. (ECU cannot regulate idle rpm)

It's a good test to do before throwing new parts at it anyway or disassembling anything else, as it's easily accessed and held in with only two torx (t20) bolts.

Hope that helps...

Advertisement