Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good GPS to drive around dublin?lane assist?

Options
  • 12-03-2010 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I live in Carlow and have no problem driving in small towns because most roads are two lane tarffics.And I know which lane to be on while I'm at a roundabout following the 12 o clock rule.
    I don't like driving in dublin because I simply do not know which lane to be in at roundabouts, I hate it expecially where there's two exit lanes at the roundabout and about 5 seconds later you have to go back into one lane! Bus lanes and lots of cars and people I guess makes me super nervous. The least one I wanna do is not to get lost or be on the wrong lane!!!

It's so easy to end up in the wrong lane in dublin.

So .Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Garmin 765t or 1310. Has lane assist and junction view. And walking mode is available too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

To be honest most roads around Dublin in regards to more lanes (max 2) aren't too bad. Most are marked out. I'm aware you're not from the area but once the gps says take 2nd exit you can assume if there's 2 lanes to just apply rules of the road no?
    Also what with a HUGE amount of roadworks both north and south of the liffey all maps on gps bought today will be out of date hence sending you into the right lane that now may not exist.

Just my 2cent. I didn't mean to insult with the first paragraph by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Yeah, a GPS will not tell you how to approach a roundabout or when to change lanes .. it takes local knowledge and practice. Which you don't have yet.
    Don't be afraid to say to yourself "I don't know this road or roundabout".

People have too much trust in GPS advice in my opinion ... trust your eyes. And if you are worried by other cars, just take the next "wrong" exit, pull over somewhere safe and say to yourself "I just learned something new".

And please please please don't try some stupid panicked U-Turn to get back to the roundabout you just missed ... drive on until you find a safe place to turn right or left and then get back into traffic again. Thats the secret to good driving - nobody knows every turn and bend in Ireland so just take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

@ congo_90 no offence taken. :) I know that there's road markings but with all the traffic and stuff I just wont be able to see them. And I guess when I drive to dublin I usually would have to get to a certain place so a GPS could give me a general direction to that place. Because I cannot read maps AT ALL:(

@fuelinjection . Yeah, I've heard stories of people trusting their GPS too much that they could end up driving into a WALL!! lol nah, i'm a very trust myself person. I've borrowed someones GPS before but i'm always looking out for road signs and road markings I dont rely on GPS alone. But would nice to have some directions if I need to go somewhere that I have no idea where it is;)

Advertisement