Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart things about AUS & NZ ....

Options
  • 12-03-2010 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

For those of us who are living and/or travelling around Oz and/or NZ, what things do you notice they do here, that could be easily transferred back to Ireland ? (whether doesn’t count!!)

Obviously every country does things differently, but I don’t get when one country has a really good way of doing things why others don’t copy. If it works it works!

For example..

Public Transport... the tickets, it makes so much more sense here, one ticket covers all public transport... 2 hr ticket allows you to go somewhere and get back on the same ticket. Buy your ticket after 6pm and it last till 3am. To me this just makes sense. Although I think they might be trying to roll out some universal ticket in Ireland but haven’t they been doing that for the last 8 years ??? (maybe its out already I haven’t been home in a while!)

Utility Bills.. They say how much electric and how much water you use for how many people in your house. Eg "you use X amount of water there should be 3 people in your house". granted its not genius but it makes sense.

Well there 2 fairly mundane examples.. but you get the idea!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

1. Superannuation - Forced pension fund

2. Utes - Cheap, tough as nails workhorses

3. Timber framed, aluminium sheet roofed lightweight construction - Get er done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Driving licence -
    • large DOB on the back so bar staff dont have to squint.
    • Fact its also a proper card licence
    • If you change address, you simply register and they send you a sticker for the back

Houses
    • You buy your land then pick the house and builder you want.

Water charges its not a cost free service as some like to think back in Ireland because it rains a lot.

Pets
    • Complusory microchipping

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Large music festivals. Big Day Out, Soundwave etc have two main stages side by side so that when a band is playing on one, the gear for the next act is being set up on the other. None of that half hour wait between acts bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

EFTPOS - yards better than laser!

Trains - buses can take me 40mins to get to work, my train 15mins

Driving licence - fits in wallet!

I really like the outdoor BBQ areas they have too, something small in a park -so easy, and people have a lot of respect for their use

hussey wrote: »
    people have a lot of respect for their use

Exactly why alot of stuff here wouldnt translate to back home. Those BBQs would be covered in melted plastic, mud and crushed bulmers cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

+1 on the public transport, and if you get tickets to a footy game, or a concert in the city (Perth), you get free public transport 3 hours before and after the event

They do major roadworks at night or at weekends, when the traffic is at a minimum

Drive through bottle shops ;) (only if they charge the same as the offy, not inflate the prices rediculously like here)

Taxi's that take eftpos

Exactly why alot of stuff here wouldnt translate to back home. Those BBQs would be covered in melted plastic, mud and crushed bulmers cans.

Agree.

I have two just in the playground outside the house I should use them at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mackman wrote: »
    Taxi's that take eftpos
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Insure the car not the driver... although the fact that insurance isnt a legal requirment is kinda stupid... (yes yes there is rego which provides some cover)

I still find the drive through bottlos wierd, I prefer to park and walk in .. :confused:

+1 Outdoor BBQs ... but yes they would be trashed at home!

Phone credit $49 vodafone = $350 credit, handy for calling home, although vodafone are crapola outside the citys.... and I guess thats more of a business thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

On the houses thing, I love developer guidelines in new areas being built in the outer suburbs of Melbourne. You buy your land, you choose your builder - and the developer okays the final design, and they have rules like you can't build the exact same house as the person next door, you have to have houses of a similar quality, plus they have to section a certain percentage of land for development for 'lifestyle' areas - water, bike tracks, walking areas, parkland etc.

Means you don't get developments like some of the identical red-brick-warrens you have in places like Bray or Lucan, where you literally cannot tell the difference between houses and if you arrive home drunk you'll spend 45 minutes trying to get your key in the nextdoor neighbour's door...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

1. Superannuation - Forced pension fund

2. Utes - Cheap, tough as nails workhorses

3. Timber framed, aluminium sheet roofed lightweight construction - Get er done

1. Comming in.
    2. Ugly as fcuk though
    3. You got to be kidding right?

I'm a big fan of Gold Class cinemas as well. Go see a really long movie and get waited on hand and foot. Comfy seats, food on request, and alcohol. Spot on.

jank wrote: »
    2. Ugly as fcuk though

Your of your head man

Holden_ute_SS-V_m_m.jpg

Thats not a bad looking car.

Even the 4 door crewman

2006-holden-thunder-ss-crewman-rear-angle-view-588x441.jpg

Intgrated ticketing for one thing, although the system here in Sydney leaves a lot to be desired.
    Tax system. You can claim back on loads of stuff even though you are a PAYE worker!!
    Education. You go to a school you are zoned for or you pay, simple as!
    Low car prices and lower car tax.
    The use of a bicycle especially in christchurch.
    Not much one-off housing.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Your of your head man

Holden_ute_SS-V_m_m.jpg

Thats not a bad looking car.

Even the 4 door crewman

2006-holden-thunder-ss-crewman-rear-angle-view-588x441.jpg

No ****ing way, hate them! Just get a 4x4 and be done with it.
    The thing looks like a rigid and a car stuck together.

Although its as Ozzie as a platypus

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Gold Class cinemas as well. Go see a really long movie and get waited on hand and foot. Comfy seats, food on request, and alcohol. Spot on.

Might actually give this a go, hate the cinema here especially in Sydney as people are just so loud. Shut up and watch the movie!

How much is this by the way?

Might actually give this a go, hate the cinema here especially in Sydney as people are just so loud. Shut up and watch the movie!

How much is this by the way?

I think it's about $30 or so for a ticket but I've never actually bought them. Always get vouchers from work etc. Can make a good night out of it.

No ****ing way, hate them! Just get a 4x4 and be done with it.
    The thing looks like a rigid and a car stuck together.

Thats sort of what they are... they just work here. Enough people get 4x4 in Ireland that handle like crap on road and never see dirt. I know because I was one of them. I loved my old Hi-lux but it handled like a pig on road and corners.

In fairness though there arent many roads with many corners in OZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

That Holden Ute is an awesome, awesome motor. The most fun I ever had driving a car. Its a BEAST.

Check out the Top Gear review on it.

• Advertisement

1. Comming in.
    2. Ugly as fcuk though
    3. You got to be kidding right?

1. About 10 years too late but I'm glad to hear it.
    2. They're a smart work vehicle, styling doesn't come into it, if you want to turn up on site with r0 stick of timber tied to your pink mini cooper that's your prerogative
    3. Nope, they only have to keep out the weather and in the heat, there is no need to put a ton of slate or clay over your head.

CiaranC wrote: »
    That Holden Ute is an awesome, awesome motor. The most fun I ever had driving a car. Its a BEAST.

Check out the Top Gear review on it.

Yeah I drove around i a ford 1 tonne for a while, the power immense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Pies and muffins beyond my wildest dreams.

Get a lasange, bacon surprise or stockman pie from Trisha's pies in Island bay. Ohhhm nom nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

can i be negative.....i mean, its supposed to be a positive thread but i really dont agree with some of the stuff here.

from the start:

public transport...when i was in sydney we could not get a bus to/from chatswood after 5pm or at all on weekends. even weekday i think the route had 3 busses every 2 hours or something stupid like that.

utes, i have no problem with the 4x4 ones, i drive one every day at work and i quite like it but i have no time for those stupid metallic lime green ones with the hard top on the back and tinted windows. if you need it to carry for work why did you get a fu*king hard top on the back?

phone credit. $1 a minute calls but you give me 300 free dollars when i top up? what a stupid way to confuse people about the price of phone calls. why not just give $50 credit for $50 dollars and charge less for calls?

now, things i like

Beer. australians embrace, demand and appreciate good beer. back home every bar serves the same few types of imported piss. ireland should be able to support more domestic beers.

15/1h/2h/30h/whatever parking. when you are running into the bank or shop or whatever it is great to have designated parking for quick stops.

sushi counters. $2.50 for a sushi roll when you'ere out and about and get peckish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

FOOD COURTS!

OMNOMNOMNOMNOM

2. They're a smart work vehicle, styling doesn't come into it, if you want to turn up on site with r0 stick of timber tied to your pink mini cooper that's your prerogative
    3. Nope, they only have to keep out the weather and in the heat, there is no need to put a ton of slate or clay over your head.

2 Hey never said they weren't practical but in my opinion ugly as ****. If you are turning up to work in any pink car then your looking for a ripping.

3 Keep heat in??? Well there is a reason why farmers in Ireland use aluminium in their cow sheds, its cheap but it ain't for its insulation which is non existent. Sure tiles take more time and money but they last waaaaaaay longer.

Foodcourts! Yes
    Japanese food!
    Healthy lifestyles that are such a part of the culture.
    Also people do stuff besides getting pissed at the weekends!

Mt Dandenong Tourist Road and the Great ocean road....

But you are right in your head if you find them ugly you find them Ugly.

I didnt even start dragging up the HSV Utes ...drool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I like the SS UTE, but would draw the line at the crewman.

If you require more than 2 seats this is a better option !BiKQNoQBGk~$(KGrHqIOKjIEsmiFeb7SBLNWFv3M8!~~_3.JPG

• Advertisement

3 Keep heat in??? Well there is a reason why farmers in Ireland use aluminium in their cow sheds, its cheap but it ain't for its insulation which is non existent. Sure tiles take more time and money but they last waaaaaaay longer.

Insulation is used for insulation :D

Aluminum sheeting is cheap, easy to produce and transport, minimalistic, very flexible and workable and more environmentally friendly = Smart

I am a big fan of keeping things simple, over-complication means mistakes and mess ups.

Advertisement