Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart things about AUS & NZ ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Mellor wrote: »

What heat would be be keeping out in ireland?

Maybe you should read it again.

Don't be stupid, anyone who is involved with australian construction, should see that it is a lot easier to build here due to conditions. Alu sheets wouldn't work as well in ireland and they look ****e.

Why wouldn't they work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

They work fine they just look crap.

Doc wrote: »
    They work fine they just look crap.

There is no denying that they aren't as handsome as a tiled roof. But I just think its a very easy and cost efficient method of roofing a building.

It could be used for council housing, schools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I prefer the sound of rain on the sheet roofing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Jumpy wrote: »
    I prefer the sound of rain on the sheet roofing.

Try your neighbours cat at 3am .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

or the racoons...! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

One of the great things about Oz that if you slag it off. There is someone prepared to tell you to take yourself off and live somewhere else.

Doop you mean raccoons or Posums?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

5. Work - why on earth are people tripping over themselves to come out here, be it on WHV's, sponsored (if you have a job it's easier), or some other visas. There are no more job ads than Dublin, almost all job ads are from f**kin agencies, and not a lot of them are real. There is no work, I have a proper visa, not a WHV.

There are a load of jobs something like 26% more jobs advertised this year than last year....

It might be difficult to get a job if on a WHV because of the whole 6 month casual thing ... but if you have a permanent visa and you can speak some form of English you should get a job no problem.

I cannot understand why you reckon an agency would spend money to advertise false jobs on the likes of seek.com.au that makes no sense how do you reckon the agency make money from that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Doop you mean raccoons or Posums?

I believe I mean Posums! :p

or as I like to call them.. "the annoying little creatures we dont have at home, which some times scare the sh*** out of me as I stumble home alongside the park!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe you should read it again.
    Yeah, I was wondering what you were on about with the heat out. Obviously read it wrong.
    The sheets thenselfs could be used in place of slates, but not the way the aussie do it. They just bolt direct to rafters. We'd need insulation and sarking felt etc. So its not really that much quicker, but looks crap
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    There are a load of jobs something like 26% more jobs advertised this year than last year....
    As a follow up, got emailed with another job offer today. Australia is booming reletive to ireland.

As a follow up, got emailed with another job offer today. Australia is booming reletive to ireland.

Hey Mellor did you get Sponsored?

Nah not yet, went with 2nd WHV, hoping to get sponsored with in the year.

Work is defo here so hopefully i'll get sponsored, I've had 3 job offers, 2 full time, 1 contract based working for myself.
    My last place said they wished they could of kept me on, I didn't believe them thought it was the usual bolox, but all the job offers came through them recommending me.

The key to Oz is networking obv.

Nah not yet, went with 2nd WHV, hoping to get sponsored with in the year.

Work is defo here so hopefully i'll get sponsored, I've had 3 job offers, 2 full time, 1 contract based working for myself.
    My last place said they wished they could of kept me on, I didn't believe them thought it was the usual bolox, but all the job offers came through them recommending me.

The key to Oz is networking obv.

Your right... it is, also being the the right place at the right time. Definitely a lot more jobs this year than last year.

I reckon you will have more luck on your 2nd Year, you already got a year experience in Australia.

A 31 degree day off along with a 31 dollar slab of premium blonde.

The sheets thenselfs could be used in place of slates, but not the way the aussie do it. They just bolt direct to rafters. We'd need insulation and sarking felt etc. So its not really that much quicker, but looks crap

Are you serious?

Nobody 'bolts' anything 'direct to rafters' haha!
    They use a foil sarking and they do use insulation.

Are you serious?

Nobody 'bolts' anything 'direct to rafters' haha!
    They use a foil sarking and they do use insulation.

Yes I am serious, and I feel i'm in a pretty good position to say this too.
    I never said everybody does this. Obv, just like home, there are different spec levels. But you are totally wrong if you think nobody does.

The foil isn't a typical sarking, its a reflective layer. He levels of insulation used are miniscule. And very often sheets are fixed (tec-screw or otherwise) directly to rafters, if you want a reference, various school extensions built during the last 12 and next 12 months for one. Alu-shet direct to rafters, no sarking, some (50mm quilt, lol) above the PB ceiling fixed to underside of secondary purlins. This is nowhere near good enough standard for Ireland.

Yes I am serious, and I feel i'm in a pretty good position to say this too.

Because youre the mod of construction on Boards.ie haha.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hot Water: Every place I've stayed in in Oz, you turn on the tap and it is hot within 10seconds.

Power showers too!

My folks still have a dreaded emersion system! and the shower although electric is like a dripping tap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Because youre the mod of construction on Boards.ie haha.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Maybe just maybe there are people out there that know what they are talking about. Others like to bull $hit.
    There are two posters here who are in each camp.

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    Hot Water: Every place I've stayed in in Oz, you turn on the tap and it is hot within 10seconds.

Yeah and even the water out of the cold tap is warm, I have to stick in the fridge before I could stomach drinking it.

jank wrote: »
    Maybe just maybe there are people out there that know what they are talking about. Others like to bull $hit.
    There are two posters here who are in each camp.

English couldn't be your first language, your sentences are like a child wrote them. It makes you look quite ridiculous (that's big person talk for silly):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah and even the water out of the cold tap is warm, I have to stick in the fridge before I could stomach drinking it.

Ha - so true...fridge was always filled with bottles...I do the same thing now and and i don't think I've ever even tasted water straight from the tap here - just habit to bottle it and put it in the fridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Brendansmith banned for one week. This squabbling has gone on far too long and I (and others) are sick to the death of reading it. Jank - this serves as a warning to you too. Quit it. If you want to snipe at each other do it by pm. If it continues you will both be banned, for longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Its been touched on a bit with Utes, but the Cars here, Serioulsy theres no way you would consider tryin to Insure or Tax a Ford Falcon/Holden Comodore in Ireland.

Also I Think Colorbond roofs look quite nice, along with Chamferboard walls and Decks that run all the way around the building.

sorta like this
    5.jpg

Jesus where on earth is that...house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Looks Jindabyne-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

Jumpy wrote: »
    Looks Jindabyne-ish.

Looks like a gorgeous Qlder to me... Too cool for Jindabyne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Its been touched on a bit with Utes, but the Cars here, Serioulsy theres no way you would consider tryin to Insure or Tax a Ford Falcon/Holden Comodore in Ireland.

Also I Think Colorbond roofs look quite nice, along with Chamferboard walls and Decks that run all the way around the building.

sorta like this

Is that your gaff? Looks good. Your lawnmower is set a little low.

I'm also a fan of colourbond roofs.

• Advertisement

bw wrote: »
    Is that your gaff? Looks good. Your lawnmower is set a little low.

I'm also a fan of colourbond roofs.
    No Mahatma lives out of the back of a Landcruiser ...

Advertisement