Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky enabled apartment, broadband options?

• 12-03-2010 8:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I will be shortly moving to a new apartment which unfortunately is only Sky enabled. 2 years now I was using UPC broadband without a phone line and lately the fibre 30mbs. The landlord is unsure if UPC can put a line there. I don't really need a phone line (have a VOIP one) and I am really happy with UPC so far so I would to keep it if possible.

If not possible, what are my options? Get a phone line and Eircom?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sky don't do Broadband in Ireland.

Curious how are you running VoIP if you don't have an exisiting net connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am currently in UPC, I am moving to the new apt in the end of the month.
    So my options are limited to getting a landline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Land line or fixed wireless connection. Note that you may not be allowed to put up an aerial, depends on your management company or landlord.

Thank you for that,

so mainly I am between Eircom and Magnet.

Any suggestions will be more than welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

I have magnet for broadband and sky for the tv.

Magnet broadband is excellent, magnet tv is terrible. Sky tv is excellent.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that,

I found out that magnet 24mb + sky without HD would be around 82euro per month, which is quite steep I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Hi all,

I will be shortly moving to a new apartment which unfortunately is only Sky enabled.

Cheers!
    If the apartment is Sky enabled, you should also be able to receive Free-to-air Satellite TV.

Unless you want premium channels like Sky Sport, Sky Movies, you can get all the other main UK channels Free-to-air on satellite (BBC1-4, ITV 1-4, CH4, CH5, Film4 etc. etc.) You can even get HD, and "Sky+" equivalent PVR functionality all for free, once you have paid for your tuner box. The Irish channels are available free-to-air on terrestrial, and if you buy a combo receiver(around €140), you can get all UK & Irish digital channels free on the one box. (You might need to use a small set-top antenna for terrestrial). Never have to pay a cent to UPC or Sky ever again! Use the money that you save to pay for the best DSL service your eircom line supports. No reason to pay any more than €60 odd.

Check out the Terrestrial & Satellite Forums on Boards for loads of info about Free-to-air Satellite & Terrestrial.

Advertisement