Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trains on St Patricks Day?

Options
  • 12-03-2010 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Forgive me in advance for highjacking this thread, and feel free to move..
    On a similar note, what will the trains be like into, and out of Dublin city centre before and after the St Patricks day parade?
    I was thinking of bringing the kids in, and coming out to one of the local parades in NC afterwards.
    But I also seen Irish Rail have reduced it down to a Sunday service, with no additional trains.
    Has anyone gotten the train on previous St Patrick's day, especially with kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Post split from St Patrick's Day Parade thread. HB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Got it last year from Balbriggan it was either the 9:10 or 10:00 service and was grand there were more people than usual but no problems. I imagine coming back though in the evening there may be the obligatory drunken teens but you'll find that anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dane Bramage

Does anybody have any details of any towns in North Kildare/North Dublin that will be having their own St Patrick Day parades? Want to go to a smaller town parade as I know that the one in Dublin city will be bedlum will all the traffic hell and crowds. I heard Balbriggan and Maynooth being mentioned, anybody have details of any other possibilities?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check out the St Patrick's Day Parade thread in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

If its anything like last year it will be a mess. Sunday service and they're running short trains too.

I caught the train from Skerries around 11 am and the train was already full. Nobody could get on past Donabate, and the train basically passed all the regular stops with platforms filled with people and little kids crying that they were going to miss the parade.

It's a shame nobody at Irish Rail realized that this could be one of the busiest days of the year and a proper service is complete warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Considering the parade in Balbriggan is due to start at about 2pm & the parade in Dublin is due to start at about 12pm I think you'll be under too much time pressure.

It really depends on the agegroup of your kids. If they're older they will probably prefer town if you're up to loads of jostling, standing around for a good while waiting on the parade and trying to keep an eye on them all. If they're younger the local parade will probably keep them just as happy & you can leave later/be home sooner without standing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Why bother going to Dublin at all?

If more people actually got involved and helped build a few floats imagine how good our parades could be. A few costumes bought between a few clubs.

Its the magic of the Day that matters to the kids not the trip to Dublin. Stay local

Advertisement