Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Did anyone else preorder from gamestop online?can you tell me what the dispatch date is?its says 26th on mine :O

Just says on mine "expected ship date 26th".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thankfully it seem the PC version is going to get a little TLC.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/deus-ex-3-unofficial-title/1187766p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54,271 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

marco_polo wrote: »
    Thankfully it seem the PC version is going to get a little TLC.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/deus-ex-3-unofficial-title/1187766p1.html

Tables, ladders and chairs match?

nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I ordered mine from Amazon UK back in March. So much for showing them loyalty to see them wait until a week before release to do this. I'm cancelling my order, no plans to buy it until I know exactly how to buy without getting screwed either region-wise or price-wise. Idiots.

EDIT: When I check my preorder on Amazon UK, I see that underneath, it says "Condition: New Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.". I wonder if this means it could be an EU version?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

oceanclub wrote: »
    I ordered mine from Amazon UK back in March. So much for showing them loyalty to see them wait until a week before release to do this. I'm cancelling my order, no plans to buy it until I know exactly how to buy without getting screwed either region-wise or price-wise. Idiots.

P.
    I'd give it a day or two before you go making any rash decisions. The media might get a hold of this, but you never know what will happen. Lewie Proctor of RockPaperShotgun, SavyGamer and Eurogamer fame was tweeting about it. That's how I heard about it. He might do something on RPS about it and the other media outlets might jump on too. You never know.

• Advertisement

oceanclub wrote: »
    EDIT: When I check my preorder on Amazon UK, I see that underneath, it says "Condition: New Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.". I wonder if this means it could be an EU version?

P.
    You could well be onto something there. I might follow it up with Amazon to see what the story is tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You could well be onto something there. I might follow it up with Amazon to see what the story is tomorrow.

Big online retailers like amazon can certainly put plenty of pressure on the publishers too, so I'd definately hold off for a few days.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Big online retailers like amazon can certainly put plenty of pressure on the publishers too, so I'd definately hold off for a few days.
    Just sent Amazon an email there asking for clarification on whether or not the copy of the game is UK/EU and mentioned the region restriction too. Wont be cancelling it anytime soon

Amazon.co.uk got back to me and this is what they said.
    Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk

Further to your email I can confirm that you should receive a UK copy and the item is planned to be shipped from a UK fulfilment centre.

For further information I will propose you to contact the manufacturer Square Enix :

+44 (0)870 600 0182
    http://www.square-enix.com/eu/en/support/

The name of our logistic structure is Amazon EU S.a.r.L. but the items sent by our UK fulfilment are UK items.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Thank you for choosing Amazon.co.uk.

Not looking good for me. Seriously tempted to cancel my order with Amazon now.

Oh and this went up on RPS (is ee Oceanclub has already seen it!)
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/17/deus-ex-human-revolution-is-region-locked/

Not looking good for me. Seriously tempted to cancel my order with Amazon now.

Might give it a day to see what happens, but then I would definitely cancel (about to myself now), since it's possible they might ship the game a little early. I just can't see this one being resolved quickly.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oh and this went up on RPS (is ee Oceanclub has already seen it!)
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/17/deus-ex-human-revolution-is-region-locked/

Well that sucks. I guess buying it on G2Play.net might not be such a good idea now. Pretty stupid move by Square-Enix. Loads of people buying it from Play.com or Amazon.co.uk will now have to cancel their orders.

Region locking a pc game? I mean wtf :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so.. im not quite following this

is ordering from gamestop.ie still safe?

so.. im not quite following this

is ordering from gamestop.ie still safe?
    Yup. I would assume they are selling the EU copy and not the UK copy. Might be worth following it up with them hello@gamestop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Anyone know if Ireland counts as the UK or Rest of Europe for this kind of thing? I assume it's rest of Europe, but I wouldn't want to get caught out assuming that.

I got mine off CDWow, I'll have to email them to make sure I get the right version... seems an odd decision.

Anyone know if Ireland counts as the UK or Rest of Europe for this kind of thing? I assume it's rest of Europe, but I wouldn't want to get caught out assuming that.

I got mine off CDWow, I'll have to email them to make sure I get the right version... seems an odd decision.
    The UK is, according to Square Enix, a different region than the rest of Europe. This means that any copy of the game bought from a UK retailer will only be able to register on a UK Steam account.
    Here's the region breakdown from the Eidos forum thread.

Languages - English
    Release Region - UK Only
    Steam Account Region - UK Only

Languages - English
    Release Region - Outside of UK
    Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - FIGS*
    Release Region - Outside of UK
    Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - RP**
    Release Region - Russia/Poland
    Steam Account Region - Russia/Poland Only

* French, Italian, German, Spanish
    ** Russian, Polish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The UK is, according to Square Enix, a different region than the rest of Europe. This means that any copy of the game bought from a UK retailer will only be able to register on a UK Steam account.
    Here's the region breakdown from the Eidos forum thread.

CDWow.ie, hopefully they have the right version. I emailed them to be sure, we'll see if/when they get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Hi folks,

I don't want to hijack the thread; but I'm starting to doubt my own order here.

Will an XBox copy of the game ordered from the UK work over here?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

I don't want to hijack the thread; but I'm starting to doubt my own order here.

Will an XBox copy of the game ordered from the UK work over here?

Thanks!
    I think this problem only relates to the PC version. Microsoft/Sony wouldn't let them get away with this on their platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Urgh. I do not like this, not one bit.

Concerned email sent to Play.com, anyway. I've had the collector's edition pre-ordered for 3 months now. I don't want to have to cancel an order at such short notice for a game I really want to get my hands on. But if Square Enix are forcing me to do that, then I guess they just don't want me to buy the game at all. F*ck 'em. Sorry, Ubisoft.

so i emailed gamestop
    and they said "They are PAL UK and Ireland editions"

Uk and Ireland?
    so..we're not in Eu region?

• Advertisement

so i emailed gamestop
    and they said "They are PAL UK and Ireland editions"

Uk and Ireland?
    so..we're not in Eu region?
    Are you buying it for a console?

no, i specifically said pc version

the PAL thing did confuse me in her response... so she was talking about the console version?

I wonder how the people in Eidos feel? All that goodwill they've built up towards the game, with regular interactions with the public, wiped out at one stroke of Square Enix's pen.

Anyway, here's the letter I sent to the European Consumer Centre - might be of use to you as well:
    To: <Info@eccireland.ie>
    Hi there,

Back in December, I ordered a videogame from Amazon.co.uk, like I've done many times before (I live in Ireland).

Just yesterday, the publisher of the videogame announced that their particular videogame had region-locking - the UK version of the game will not work in the rest of the EU, and vice versa:

http://support.eu.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=59795&ret=main&id=2134&la=2&pv=20&SQEXSC=7qllfsuh1m4mt4363djgb80jn3

"The PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is region-locked."

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119397

"Q: I bought a RETAIL copy IN UK but I live OUTSIDE UK. Will I be able to ACTIVATE the game or not?
    A: No. Can only activate the UK boxed copy in UK (includes Isle of man etc)"

I'm now stuck with a purchase that I cannot use. I find it hard to believe this cannot be illegal under EU consumer law - as far as I know, any item I buy in the UK should be fit for purpose and usable in Ireland, and at the very least, consumers should be notified of this before purchase?

Can I point out the company themselves explicitly claimed previously that the game would have no region locking: I direct you to this official post from November 2010:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1530984&postcount=1

In it, they say:

A:
    1) PC games are region free, so wherever you get it from it'll work. However, one thing we do know is that the US augmented edition does not come with all the pre-order content, but the European one does. Try ordering from game.co.uk, they should ship to your location and that way you'll get all the content.
    2) Not yet confirmed either way, but at a guess it'll probably be available on store shelves too.
    3) You can pre-order on Steam, but no word on whether that gives you all or any of the pre-order content.

Only yesterday, a week before they release the game, and after most people have ordered, they now say there the game is not region free and a UK copy cannot be used in Ireland,

Thanks in advance, etc.

no, i specifically said pc version

the PAL thing did confuse me in her response... so she was talking about the console version?
    It sounds like it. Reply to them and mention that a PC game normally doesn't have region restrictions on it, so the PAL thing doesn't really apply.
    This is so frustrating.

just did, they responded pretty quickly last time so hopefully they'll have an answer to me soon.

Even Amazon are confused by this - they claim my copy will work, but obviously have it confused with the console version:
    Dear Paul,

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

From your e-mail, I understand that you would like to know the Region of the following item "Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Augmented Edition (PC DVD)".

All of the video games sold by Amazon.co.uk follow the PAL (Phase Alternation Line) standard only. This is the video format used in most European countries and regions of Asia. These games will not play on
    most games consoles in countries that use NTSC, SECAM or other video standards.

Rest assured that this item "Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Augmented Edition (PC DVD)" comes with format that can be used in Ireland.

If you're interested in finding NTSC-compatible video games, you might try our partner site Amazon.com. However, please visit their "Shipping Restrictions" Help Desk page, as video games offered by Amazon.com can only be delivered to locations within the U.S., U.S. protectorates,
    and APO/FPO addresses.

www.amazon.com/b/?node=468642

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.co.uk.

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=ARBPQDEL4N9D9&k=hy

If no please click here
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=ARBPQDEL4N9D9&k=hn

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our website: http://www.amazon.co.uk/help

Warmest regards,

Seriously, wtf were Square-Enix thinking? They announce this, 10 days before release, and not even some of the main suppliers (Amazon and Play) know what's going on. Are they intentionally trying to screw with their sales?

The mind boggles :confused:

You see, Amazon didn't strictly explain to me that my game wont work. I inferred it from them telling me that the game is a UK game. I was able to infer it since I actually 'know' something about this region lock, unlike the retailers.

Taken from another forum, but very true.
    You know who this affects most? Loyal customers who preordered your game months ago.

You know who this affect leasts? Pirates.

• Advertisement

got an email back from gamestop again
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will contact the relevant department and hopefully get some mor information for you on this. Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

so they hadn't even been informed of this, yeesh. gg square enix

Advertisement