Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kiith wrote: »
    Taken from another forum, but very true.
    I believe that was our very own Oceanclub who said that on the Eidos forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This region locking thing got anything to do with those ingame adverts they were talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I just got a callback from Amazon.co.uk and they obviously haven't a clue about this. They claim the game will work fine. I told them they really need to investigate it further, so the support person said she'd contact the relevant department about it.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I just got a callback from Amazon.co.uk and they obviously haven't a clue about this. They claim the game will work fine. I told them they really need to investigate it further, so the support person said she'd contact the relevant department about it.

P.
    That 'call me' button is great isn't it?
    I clicked on the 'No this didn't solve my problem' link in the reply email they sent me and then pasted this into the box
    Thanks you for the prompt reply. If it is indeed the case that the copy of the game I am buying from Amazon.co.uk doesn't work in Ireland due to region restrictions imposed by the publisher, would you suggest I cancel my preorder with you? I have a feeling that many others are cancelling as I write this. Is there something you can do? Put pressure on Square Enix to change their stupid, unnecessary policy. I can't imagine you (Amazon) would like to see a lot of cancelled preorders. No doubt, that is what you are seeing right now as more and more people get to know about it. This only came to light in the past day or so. Sure, Amazon, like many other retailers don't even know this existed.
    I hope that something can be done about this and won't lead to me cancelling my preorder with Amazon.

All the best
    Brian

I got a second callback to say that _in the very last hour_, Amazon.co.uk were contacted by the publisher saying there is now region locking. They advised me to cancel my pre-order so I did. I can't be bothered to re-order the game - reckon I'll wait 'til its in the bargain bins.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ok, so G2Play are selling EU keys. That'll work for me with an Irish Steam account, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Whats all this about region locking?

Headshot wrote: »

Basically, if you've ordered it from any UK site, it won't work here.

Yup. You read it right.

even on the pc?

jebus that's fair bad lucky I got mine from gamestop.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Was going to place a pre order this week but now I'm going to wait till the smoke clears. I might wait until there is a price reduction. The game looks good but I've about 5 other games sitting on my shelf waiting to be played and this region locking business really pisses me off.

even on the pc?

Only on the pc. Consoles will have their standard region locks, but the PC version is locked to the specific region and the UK is considered a seperate region to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Only applicable to PC I'd imagine as opposed to Xbox 360 and PS3 versions as well?

EDIT: Just saw the above post after I had posted mine! Both posts posted at the same time!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I pre-ordered a collectors edition from shopto.net.

There is a work around for me. Its only region check when first activated. If activated from the UK (or in my case by a mate in N.Ireland) it will work there after in a different region. This has been confirmed on the offical DX forums by a community mod.

When the same mod was asked why was this was done. They simply said "you shouldn't be buying in a different region".
    You save about 4 Euro on the standard edition if you buy UK retail as opposed to EU retail. Its obviously this they are tying to clam down on.

If I was to follow that logic. I would have to cancel my pre-order and would have to buy the much cheaper augmented edition.

Asshats. This strikes me as pure greed.

This only affects retail copies on PC. Digital copies and console versions not affected.

even on the pc?

It's only affecting the boxed copies of the PC version of the game. Digital copies do not appear to be affected.

Also, Gamestop isn't really sure if they are supplying EU copies of the game. Hit them up on hello@gamestop.ie and see if they know anything about it. Sir Digby has already sent an email but they confused it with the console version, so he's waiting for clarification from them.

Only applicable to PC I'd imagine as opposed to Xbox 360 and PS3 versions as well?

Yeah sorry, this only applies to the pc.

Only on the pc. Consoles will have their standard region locks, but the PC version is locked to the specific region and the UK is considered a seperate region to the EU.

Man that's fair bad

Very poor business by SE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I'm wondering which version to get Xbox 360 or PS3 wonder which will be better or will there be any difference?

Here's the thing - do Irish retailers (both brick and online retail) not also get the UK, rather than EU, versions of the game? Is it a case they'll be accidentally selling the "wrong" version? And how can anyone check?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Considering all the main Irish retailers Game, Gamestop, HMV are all UK franchises I would be surprised if they didn't have centralised ordering and distribution so the Irish stores would get their stock from the UK distribution warehouses. It would be easier if SE lumped Ireland in with the UK rather than rest of Europe like most other businesses.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    Considering all the main Irish retailers Game, Gamestop, HMV are all UK franchises I would be surprised if they didn't have centralised ordering and distribution so the Irish stores would get their stock from the UK distribution warehouses. It would be easier if SE lumped Ireland in with the UK rather than rest of Europe like most other businesses.

This is what I assume, which means that there's about to be the mother of all screwups.

P.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

oceanclub wrote: »
    Here's the thing - do Irish retailers (both brick and online retail) not also get the UK, rather than EU, versions of the game? Is it a case they'll be accidentally selling the "wrong" version? And how can anyone check?

P.

Since none of them seem to have a clue then I wouldn't be at all surprised, especially if they are simply the Irish branch for a UK based retailer like Gamestop or Game.

EDIT: Bah beaten by Sink.

Which Irish retailers have been contacted? Tempted to give them a ring and ask, but I doubt even they know at this point.

A letter I've sent to the European Commission competition section (more details at http://ec.europa.eu/competition/consumers/contacts_en.html). Please feel free to use as a draft for your own:
    To: <comp-market-information@ec.europa.eu>

Hi there,

I live in the Republic of Ireland. Back in December, I pre-ordered the videogame "Deus Ex Human Revolution from Amazon.co.uk. I've purchased many such games from Amazon.co.uk and other UK online retailers before; perhaps a dozen each year for the past 10 years.

Just yesterday, the publisher of the videogame, Square Enix, announced that their particular videogame had region-locking - the UK version of the game will not work in the rest of the EU (including Ireland), and vice versa. Amazon.co.uk themselves did not know about this restriction until the last hour (I have just been onto their support line.) Only this morning, they claimed my purchase would work fine.

Here's is the relevant information from the Square Enix support site:

http://support.eu.square-enix.com/fa...t4363djgb80jn3

"The PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is region-locked."

However, when I bought the game, they reassured customer there was no such region locking in this official post in November 2010:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...84&postcount=1

In it, they say:

1) PC games are region free, so wherever you get it from it'll work.

Luckily I am able to cancel my order. However, I find it hard to believe this cannot be illegal under EU consumer law - as far as I know, any item I buy in the UK should be fit for purpose and usable in Ireland, and at the very least, consumers should be notified of this before purchase rather than the company changing their minds at the very last minute?

Would appreciate a very quick answer on this,

Thanks in advance, etc.

P.

I'm after cancelling my Amazon.co.uk order since the product page has been updated with the warning about region restrictions. Gone with Gamestop.ie. God I hope they dont get their games from the UK! :(
    Gone from paying €30 with Amazon, to paying €43 with Gamestop. Annoyed buy hey, it's still a great price imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'm after cancelling my Amazon.co.uk order since the product page has been updated with the warning about region restrictions. Gone with Gamestop.ie. God I hope they dont get their games from the UK! :(
    Gone from paying €30 with Amazon, to paying €43 with Gamestop. Annoyed buy hey, it's still a great price imo.

Works out at €34 on Direct2Drive if it is not too late. (And download is an option of course)

marco_polo wrote: »
    Works out at €34 on Direct2Drive if it is not too late. (And download is an option of course)
    I'm liking the Augmented edition packaging, artbook etc. I'd prefer the physical edition of it. Even if it does register with Steam, rendering the disc useless.

I'm liking the Augmented edition packaging, artbook etc. I'd prefer the physical edition of it. Even if it does register with Steam, rendering the disc useless.

Ah nice choice :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

its still not certain that gamestop have the EU version though.. i'm waiting until there's confirmation before I order, i was going to do it today

worst comes to worst I might go on g2play, d2d, or steam

its still not certain that gamestop have the EU version though.. i'm waiting until there's confirmation before I order, i was going to do it today

worst comes to worst I might go on g2play, d2d, or steam

You could potentially be given a polish or russian retail key off G2Play though and be in the same boat I think

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    You could potentially be given a polish or russian retail key off G2Play though and be in the same boat I think
    Very important point.

Advertisement