Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Kiith wrote: »
    Ok, so G2Play are selling EU keys. That'll work for me with an Irish Steam account, right?

well I was just going off this post here, I assumed kiith had seen something on the g2play site confirming the eu keys

--edit

just checked the g2play deus ex page, didnt see anything about eu keys or the like. so.. *shrug*

this is a pain in the ass

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

marco_polo wrote: »
    You could potentially be given a polish or russian retail key off G2Play though and be in the same boat I think

I emailed G2Play about 2 hours ago and they confirmed that it would be the EU key.
    G2Play wrote:
    Dear customer
    those will be Eu keys for Eu customers, please dont worry we will inform you if there will be any problem with this game.
    Best regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Canceled my order, fuck them, I was going to order it from Gamestop for the same price as Amazon was but I'd be too afraid of getting the wrong version. God this is such stupid ****.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Very important point.

I remember that on the steam forums quite a few people got landed with a russian only version of Metro 2033 previously as a result of something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bloody gamestop dont like replying to emails

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

well I was just going off this post here, I assumed kiith had seen something on the g2play site confirming the eu keys

--edit

just checked the g2play deus ex page, didnt see anything about eu keys or the like. so.. *shrug*

this is a pain in the ass

I can't be expected to remember a whole two pages ago :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they got back to me within a few minutes, maybe they're keeping quiet until they figure out what their situation is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Headshot wrote: »
    bloody gamestop dont like replying to emails
    I'd imagine that they are asking who ever they need to to find out. Sir Digby got a fairly prompt reply this morning, Also, it's lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

Good idea. Who's up for McDonalds?

As a sidenote I'm trying to gather as much data as I can including official release statements regarding the region locking being UK only. I'd advise everyone to be thorough and try to present as much information as possible to both http://www.tca.ie/Complaints.aspx and comp-market-information@ec.europa.eu when you go to make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Arfan wrote: »
    Good idea. Who's up for McDonalds?

As a sidenote I'm trying to gather as much data as I can including official release statements regarding the region locking being UK only. I'd advise everyone to be thorough and try to present as much information as possible to both http://www.tca.ie/Complaints.aspx and comp-market-information@ec.europa.eu when you go to make a complaint.

Can you put up any useful links/drafts you've done? I included a draft letter earlier - feel free to edit/amend that,

Cheers,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

oceanclub wrote: »
    Can you put up any useful links/drafts you've done? I included a draft letter earlier - feel free to edit/amend that,

Cheers,

P.

Cheers, just sent off a copy myself saved me a bit of typing

and Yay! 50 posts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Wow, just checked this thread, what a mess, ah well at least they have a week or so to sort it, I hope.

I thought we'd be passed region locking at this stage, it can't be for the in-game advertising as what language would the EU ads be in? (I don't want no stinky French ads! :pac: )
    And why single out Poland and Russia?
    Very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Hopefully Irish Retailers have the EU version in stock, I've been looking forward to this game for a while now and would hate to be told by steam that I can't activate my copy.

I preordered the CE on gamestop.ie and il be gutted if i cant get it :(

I would never advise using an exact copy of someone else's letter. A personally written message, no matter how meandering or ill-formed(as mine tend to be) will have more of an impact than a hundred of the same text over and over.

As for exact information, there's been precious little so far. As a matter of fact oceanclub I've mostly been following in your wake.

Support Page Posting
    Forum Thread The first post has the most relevant information including the region breakdown
    Rock, Paper Shotgun reporting on the issue
    Amazon Page with Region Lock note(only added today after we contacted them)

I am not posting any e-mails at the moment as I am still following up the threads and do not want to present false images before the parties concerned have had a full chance to address my concerns.

In terms of who to talk to I can recommend the following:
    The National Consumer Agency places high priority on matters like these.
    Government on Consumer Protection with links to relevant agencies
    The Competiton Authority is a relevant agency to get in touch with as we believe locking products to a single EU country may be illegal.
    The European Commission exists at the highest level to deal with this region locking issue. It is worth sending them an e-mail so that they are at least aware of the problem should it develop from here.

lads how do we know Ireland isnt counted as UK ?

We dont. Surely the onus is on the retailer to supply a game that can be registered with Steam. It's not an ideal situation to be hoping it will work with Steam but what else can we do? Other than get the retailers to find out for us or hear from Square Enix.

We know that Steam counts Ireland as EU because prices in Ireland are in euros.

The game activates using your Steam region. If your Steam region does not match with your game version then poof. We DO know the UK version is exclusive to the Uk and as such will not activate here. We DON'T know whether the retail version sold in stores here will be EU or UK.

As such I would advise holding off on buying until the retailers/publisher confirms for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I'm wondering which version to get Xbox 360 or PS3 wonder which will be better or will there be any difference?
    BUMP

Any ideas guys which console version to get? Is it too early to say which will run better (if either) etc?

You usually wont get a console comparison until after the release date. They'll probably be pretty much identical.

• Advertisement

I just received a phone call from the National Consumer Agency here in Ireland. Luckily the chap I spoke to understands video games (he himself said he had been thinking of buying DE:HR!) and so understood the issues here.

Since Amazon.co.uk promptly cancelled my order, there's no consumer issue there as such. However, he will be launching an investigation as to whether this action breaks EU consumer law, and said he would ring me back in a few days. I'll keep you posted.

P.

GameStopIreland are now claiming on Twitter there is "no difference" between UK and Ireland:
    @oceanclub - Yes :) No difference in regards to UK and Ireland in that respect, they confirmed for us this morning.

*sigh*

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    GameStopIreland are now claiming on Twitter there is "no difference" between UK and Ireland:

*sigh*

P.
    Oh good lord. What is going on here?:confused: Wont Square Enix come out and confirm or deny something. SOMETHING
    I do have the number for Square Enix, would it be worth giving them a ring?

This is a total disaster for SE. How can they not inform the retailers whether or not people can play the god damn game?

I feel bloody sorry for Eidos. They go to a lot of effort to get the fans on their side, which they had done, and now their publisher screws them, and us, over. I mean, what the hell were SE thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Kiith wrote: »
    I mean, what the hell were SE thinking?

$$$

I got an email from gamestop (just echoing the above)
    Hi headshot the great, (lol I had to)

We have looked into this and our versions will work in both Ireland and the UK. The vendor has confirmed this this afternoon. Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a lovely day!

idk what to think tbh

Maybe Ireland is considered to be in both regions? :confused:

idk what to think tbh
    I think they took a while to get back to you because they were laughing so hard at your username!

I think they took a while to get back to you because they were laughing so hard at your username!

lol I just edited that myself, kearneybobs ;)

• Advertisement

idk what to think tbh

I'm not sure how one squares this (no pun intended) with the fact that Square Enix explicitly state these are the regions supported:
    Languages - English
    Release Region - UK Only
    Steam Account Region - UK Only

Languages - English
    Release Region - Outside of UK
    Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - FIGS*
    Release Region - Outside of UK
    Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - RP**
    Release Region - Russia/Poland
    Steam Account Region - Russia/Poland Only