Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

got an email from gamestop saying exactly what oceanclub said they said on twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

Did people refer specifically to the PC version when asking?

yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

Well then at least Gamestop are consistent in their message contradicting amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Oh good lord. What is going on here?:confused: Wont Square Enix come out and confirm or deny something. SOMETHING
    I do have the number for Square Enix, would it be worth giving them a ring?

Frankly I reckon Square Enix's arse doesn't know what its elbow is up to. They've told Amazon UK that their version doesn't work outside the UK, while Gamestop have just confirmed:
    @oceanclub - Hi, it 100% what we were told by Square Enix so we will get clarification from them and post up what they have told us, im...

@oceanclub - Yeah, i seen the link you sent through which is contradictory! So when we get it in writing we will post it.

I also feel sorry for the retailers getting screwed over here. If Amazon UK are dumped with a load of unsold pre-orders they can't sell, I hope they sue.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

oceanclub wrote: »

I also feel sorry for the retailers getting screwed over here. If Amazon UK are dumped with a load of unsold pre-orders they can't sell, I hope they sue.

P.
    At £24 for the Augmented edition, I'd say they'll have no trouble shifting them. It keeps on disappearing and reappearing every couple of minutes, probably because people are cancelling and others are picking them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I almost hope that the retailers (but sadly then the customers also) get majorly burned by this, because they are in a position to give SE a hard time over such a ludicrous decision, which the customers can't really.

I haven't pre-ordered or anything, but I've been looking forward to this, and I'll almost certainly buy it soon after it's available. But I'm tempted to email SE and tell them I'm pirating it because they are idiots...

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I contacted shopto.net from where I pre-odered the collectors edition to clarify the situation.

They responded within about 3 hours that they contacted the publisher directly and confirmed that it can be activated in Republic of Ireland.

Azza wrote: »
    I contacted shopto.net from where I pre-odered the collectors edition to clarify the situation.

They responded within about 3 hours that they contacted the publisher directly and confirmed that it can be activated in Republic of Ireland.

Which is what Gamestop thought they were told as well....

Square Enix seem explicit that a copy is either UK _or_ Ireland, but not both.

Unless they are complete tools and think that Ireland is the UK?

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No response from Play.com. Grr. I've since asked for clarification from Square Enix, and I emailed the ECC folks to boot with something similar to oceanclub's message.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure why people are worrying, the Irish nearly always get dumped into the UK bracket when it comes to games (eg release dates for a start) - we'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not sure why people are worrying, the Irish nearly always get dumped into the UK bracket when it comes to games (eg release dates for a start) - we'll be fine

Because Amazon is saying the UK version wont work here, Gamestop are saying they don't know because they're getting conflicting reports. Nobody wants to spend money on something that may not work, you can't just say "We'll be fine" when actually we might well not be.

B0X wrote: »
    you can't just say "We'll be fine"

Sure 'tis the Irish way.

P.

The collector's edition is expensive. It's money I'd rather not risk. If it's not clarified soon I'll be cancelling my pre-order, and probably waiting until I can pick up the game in a second-hand bin for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Worst comes to worst, wait a day and there'll be a crack to make it region free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

leaked already for the consoles

who said piracy was worse on the PC?

Oh, not to worry, it turns out my Play.com order has been cancelled for quite some time. Maybe they were planning to throw a surprise party to tell me or something.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

PC piracy is worse than consoles. The numbers are several times highers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ye kind of get this sense of gamers panicing and going around saying "this is a disgrace" (and I agree it is) but if the game arrives and it works you won't hear a peep out of them :)

I ordered from gamestop and if we are getting a "UK and Ireland" version that works here then my next question is why don't we get UK prices here? They can bleat about the euro and differing distribution prices all they want but for years the stench of bull**** from the likes of Valve (for example) has been very strong.

Valve used to claim it was the publishers forcing high prices but I doubt we'll hear that crap from them again after charging us €45 for Portal 2. The price of the MW games has always been an absolute joke which always looked more like a publisher/Valve combo with both wanting to milk the cow.

Bargain bin shopping is the only way forward but of course like most gamers I can't resist the big releases so there will always be those exceptions. Heres to Skyrim going more smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

mewso wrote: »
    Ye kind of get this sense of gamers panicing and going around saying "this is a disgrace" (and I agree it is) but if the game arrives and it works you won't hear a peep out of them :)

I ordered from gamestop and if we are getting a "UK and Ireland" version that works here then my next question is why don't we get UK prices here? They can bleat about the euro and differing distribution prices all they want but for years the stench of bull**** from the likes of Valve (for example) has been very strong.

Valve used to claim it was the publishers forcing high prices but I doubt we'll hear that crap from them again after charging us €45 for Portal 2. The price of the MW games has always been an absolute joke which always looked more like a publisher/Valve combo with both wanting to milk the cow.

Bargain bin shopping is the only way forward but of course like most gamers I can't resist the big releases so there will always be those exceptions. Heres to Skyrim going more smoothly.

I have still yet to buy more than 2 or 3 full price games off steam out of a catalog of some 45 odd games , its a combination of sale and steamworks after that) , and I have never actually bought any Valve game directly off steam despite owning all of them (How much extra money would Valve have made off me by cutting out the middle man? ).

I am hoping in vain that there are plenty of others like me and that someday the penny might drop for Valve, but I doubt it. :o, I can honestly say that if the Steam was operating at UK prices here I would have bought a load more full price games off them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

CDWow's response:

"Following up on my previous e-mail, the game which you have ordered is UK/ European version.

However we are unable to confirm the region encoding until it is release as this information is not yet available from suppliers. As soon as we have this information, we will update it on our website."

Not very helpful, and they may have missed the point that it's a different version in the UK and the rest of the EU. Hopefully they'll clarify before shipping the item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the game is region free on consoles anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Has there been an official announcement from Square-Enix yet? Pretty crazy that they've been so quiet about it, considering how bad it looks for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004EHZHDA/ref=oss_product
    Update on Region Lock
    Please note: It was reported that Deus Ex on PC is region-locked to the UK only. Square Enix has confirmed that this is not the case. If you are ordering from outside of the UK, you will be able to play this on your PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get the feeling Square Enix have done a U-turn after realising how ****ing stupid they are. Right after messing up everyones preorders.

Brilliant. I now find I can't re-do my Augmented Edition order from Amazon.co.uk; it's no longer available. Instead they want me to spend _more_ money than originally on the normal edition. Spent 20 mins on the phone to them with no help. I've gone from being excited about this game to heartily fed up with it. Is the Augmented Edition available anywhere? At this stage I'm really tempted to just wait for the eventual bargain bin/Steam sale.

P.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, if they have changed their minds, it's pretty **** on anyone who had cancelled their pre-orders. Pretty much all the Augmented editions are sold out again.

• Advertisement

My original purchase price on Amazon was €27. :(

P.

Advertisement